burnt out :(

I have making soy candles for almost 10 years now.  I used to absolutely love it. I would spend so many hours in my candle room. My hubby then built me a huge shop in our pole shed. It's everything a candlegirl could want. Sooooo here's my problem.. I feel like I've lost my passion. I can't stop because we have spent literally stuck so much money into this I can't just just quit. Has anyone been here in the same spot I am? I still am addicted to buying 1oz scents.. just bought $100 worth again. I have so many there is no way I don't think I could ever even test them all if I wanted to. Any thoughts.. help or suggestions would be so appreciated! 

@Daisymay66, that is too bad.  I've been making candles for over 9 years, but I haven't grown tired of it.  I am not a big time operator though. 

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe you change it up.  I have had to change jars a couple of times at least because my supplier quit carrying them.  Then I found a new label for my new jar.

Then I bought frosted white jars, which are a hit.  Then I found some red tumbler jars for Christmas.

Recently I bought yet another type of jar because I can drive to the supplier to get them and save a ton on shipping.  They are straight sided 9 oz jars with black lids.  But I think they look sort of plain, so I got the bright idea to try colored labels.  I ordered a variety of colors from Labels by the Sheet to see.  They are probably out in my mailbox right now.  I can skip the dye with these jars and use a color of label that coordinates with the fragrance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, getting new ideas and trying them out is what keeps me perked up.  I even like experimenting with fonts for the labels.  I get bored doing the same thing over and over I guess.

Maybe you just need a break after the holidays and will be raring to go again soon.

• Like 1

I agree with Gail perhaps a spark will ignite the flame again...or mmmmmmmaybe its time to stop...I  mean we all switch our interest once in a while and if your not doing this to make a living perhaps you can cut your expenses and use up what you have  and find a fun use for your 1 oz  samples...maybe combine a few for a new candle fragrance or tarts or lotion etc.  It sounds like you feel guilt that your husband put so much effort into helping you with your candle business perhaps when you stop putting pressure on yourself you might actually find enjoyment in your hobby again. ....Just saying. ...I know there's lot of ways to take the wind out of my sails ...and stress is definitely one  of them.

That's just my humble opinion

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you're getting burned out! I agree with Gail. Why not use a different wax or jar? Make things look different. Maybe buy some silicone molds and make some cute little tarts if you don't do that already. I've wanted a die cutting machine for the past two years but I don't have room in my wax room for it and I'm kind of like you, I've lost at least a little interest in doing wax but I think my problem is I'm too crammed in the little room I use. I literally stumble over stuff and I keep telling myself that when my husband builds me a bigger craft room I'm going to love it all over again, plus want to incorporate making shirts in there too.

I think you'll regain your spark again!

I don't do candles but B&B and sometimes you just need to take a break.  I had surgery in October so haven't really made anything since July.  It's a little rough getting the motivation to get going again but I plan to start this weekend.  As other have mentioned maybe switch things up a bit, new jars, new labels etc.

My spare bedroom is used for storage of supplies, curing and product.  All my work is done in my kitchen so it's difficult to have to lug things around to get made.  Unfortunately, no other option at this point and I've been doing it this way for 8 years now.  I would love a dedicated work area but can't con my husband into building something.

Not sure how long you have been feeling this way, but this time of year can be depressing for many.  I would hate to see you give up and lose your customer base only to realize you still love making candles.  If it were me (and this is REALLY hard for me to get moving on), I would clean up, rearrange, etc. my candle/craft room so I can get excited about starting up again without thinking about the mess.  Not saying you have a mess; I usually do!  Take part of the day to find different ideas, as others have suggested, for jars, labels, different things to make from wax like tarts, aroma beads, clam shells if you aren't making those now.  I don't know if you have been dealing with all the soy problems this past year, but it almost made me give up on making candles.  I spent so much time trying to get my jars to work.  My saving grace was making clam shells.  I absolutely love the amber color of a just-poured clam shell, and there is no problem with the hot throw as there is/was with the 464 in jars.   Actually thinking this through, I am going to start testing my ounce oil samples by making single clam shells.

Please keep us informed.  Sometimes just talking this through with a friend helps.  And there are so many friends in the candle-making boat here who will throw suggestions out to help you get through this whether you stay with the candles, take a break, or move on to something else.

Take care,

GoldieMN

What I find helps when I'm in a slump, or feeling burned out is to take some time out. I took a 2 year break back in 2009 and started up again in 2011 and it helped tremendously. 

If you can't afford, or don't feel you can take that long of a break, take a short vacation from it. Even people who work outside the home take vacations, maybe just a couple weeks or even just a few days will really help. 

What also helps me when I'm in a funk and just don't want too, is I watch YouTube videos of other's creations, or look at the forum pictures, here, in other forums and on Facebook, etc., that will usually inspire me to do something out of my ordinary that will in turn get my creative juices flowing, which again, in turn gets me excited and ready to get into the lab again... 

Good luck. Burn out is a horrible feeling. 

• Like 1

I too feel/felt that way! A short break to do something else really helps. This past week I have focused on forgotten projects in my house and feel so much better about "working". 

Looking forward to making new new and exciting things now.

I found myself burned out on candles this fall after having the year from hell. The new soy wax pushed me over the edge. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I had bought my supplies for the year an had huge orders to fill. Thankfully, I had a couple friends that got me through it (testing, labeling, and kicking me in the butt). I seriously would have quit if I could have. I had to prioritize to get through the season and as soon as the orders were out, I took a good break. I did almost no holiday candles, except for some layered with the old wax). Today is the first day I poured- mainly testers - in over 3 weeks. I did come to the realization that I could get by quite well with just my 16 fundraiser fragrances if I was too overwhelmed with all the rest.

I get where your coming from 

the changes in soy wax have me questioning why I'm even doing this - I mean in all reality I help my husband with his business and there seems so little time to find my motivation to continue mine 

I have been circling myself all night trying to do something - was going to clean out tester jars and tins and then I find a hundred other fail half burned candles and I trip on all these crap waxes I bought and look at all my oils and think that was a bora bora vacation sitting here! And then I see a couple years worth of old receipts stacked up in boxes in the office where I keep my finished candles that need to be gone through and burned - I mean who needs to look back at a gas bills from 2009? Really 🤦‍♀️

I LOVE candles and creating, I really really do but I'm in a funk as well 

I am going to put all my Christmas stuff away tomorrow - box up a ton of tester candles I made that will do me no good because the wax is crap now and save them for emergency candles - re-organize my stuff and get busy on my new wax and look into changing up my labels some....this IS going to be the year I push my "side" business/hobby further and put it out there more 

if you love what you do just step back for awhile and then return to it and see how you feel- sometimes a long hiatus is needed to see what and where we really want to do with this craft 

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you. Its really an energy sucking feeling to be burned out.

Can't tell you how many times in the last 12 years I have felt that burned out feeling. Like others here I found the best solution is to take a vacation, do something else, or reorganize, revamp and start out fresh.  Just a few weeks of doing something else helps work wonders.

This is my time of the year (Jan - Mar) when I go over my product offerings, labeling, packaging, branding, etc. and work on making improvements to save my time, labor, and overall cost yet offering a better than ever array of products. Not necessarily more product but improved or reformulated product. My goal each year is to save myself time and money while improving my business practices. That in itself gives me time off from the daily drudgery of making soap all the time and helps me feel recharged and ready to go again when I know I have something new to offer.

15 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

There is absolutely no way I can quit! I have stuck sooooooo much money in this that is NOT an option :( thank you all so much for your help!

I think the mantra "there is no way I can quit" is adding to your malaise. You need to figure out a way to turn that phrase around in your head so its a positive instead of a negative. I know, easier said than done. But I think you get my meaning. Just chew on it for a while and find a way in your life to make going to work a fun thing that you look forward too. Some very good advice here that tends to work really well. But you have to put the effort into taking that vacation time and rejuvenating yourself to make it work!