Danielle and Co as they are called. Are they even still around. I haven't really even bothered looking yet. Some of their steps in the candle making process are a bit sloppy for me. What do you guys think of this video?

OMgoodness.....Did you see the wax residue left on the side of the glass? Either I'm awful picky or this company is less than picky b/c I don't even let mine go out to testers like that :eek:

They look like a big operation with all the machinery but also had never heard of them...Just was very surprised at how they were made. Even the wicks wrapped around the skewers weren't tight.

Just shows how much more effort us small guys put into our stuff, I guess :)

I remember watching this video a while back. Yup, kinda sloppy, but today I checked the new Ya--ee candles and... :shocked2: talk about ugly tops, worse looking than Danielle's candles, I kid you not! Not to mention the ridiculously high prices at that shop! Only thing I liked were the pretty Spring colors.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that saw that residue on the glass at the end of the video. I thought I was crazy for being so particular about how my candles look. They re pretty sloppy with the pouring at some points as well, in the few shots you see.

I did look this company up and they have a website. I just googled Danielle and Company candles. Popped right up! They sell this candle but lotion and soaps too. I wonder if they know about the new cosmetics bill? Hmmmm...

That was interesting...

How they just slide the candles over to cool as the wax slops all over the jar leaving the residue- I dont touch my candles after I pour until they are completely cooled

The wicks were not tight at all- I have never double wicked but is it normal to overlap them when you glue them down?

And- I am very shocked with all that big machinery to melt and using beeswax they do not strain the wax going into the pour pot- that was alot of chunks coming out- maybe it was cooled to very slushy but didnt look right to me

Well, I guess we can all look down our noses at her operation if we want but it looks like she's doing a pretty good business to need industrial equipment and employees, etc. Perhaps the video was designed to give an idea of production but doesn't show every step.

Well, I guess we can all look down our noses at her operation if we want but it looks like she's doing a pretty good business to need industrial equipment and employees, etc. Perhaps the video was designed to give an idea of production but doesn't show every step.

Your absolutely right Deb! I'm being kinda a bully by posting this. It probably is to give her customers or anyone a small snippet of how her candles are made. Im sure she's making a nice living on her creation and ideas. I'm not downing her for that at all. I would however if I was making a video on any of my practices make sure your have straight, taut wicks and no residue on the sides on my candles. I guess most people would not notice those things. Kinda like most people would not see flaws when looking at a ballet dancer but being a professional dancer and teaching/performing I see those tiny details that a normal everyday "Joe" wouldn't. (and also in no way was this reply meant to be snippy) :-)

you're right about that jack. i do not make candles, never have. and only thing i noticed was the sloshed bit up on the sides of the glass. all the rest of it looked good to me. i bet the video is meant to show basically how candles are made not the entire production of candles. like the L*SH videos that show the minimal production of bath bombs or soap.

You are much nicer than I was going to be.

As I've said before, this is a public forum. If someone comes here and asks for our opinions or advice, bash your heart away. If they don't ask for our opinions, why on earth does it matter to us? There are a bazillion bad candlemakers out there. I hope we don't decide to drag all of them here so we can pick them apart.

There are two ways to have the tallest building in town; 1) Build yours to be the tallest or, 2) Tear everyone else's down.

The only question I would have is why they have someone holding a ruler next to the container and another pouring? Wouldn't putting the container on a scale be a more accurate, economical way of measuring?

I thought the same thing when I saw everyone gathered around the table. They actually pay someone to pour the candle and someone to hold the ruler so they know where to stop pouring??

Packaging is nice, but I really don't like spending my $$ on nice packaging that I'm going to throw into the recycle bin or trash can.

9.8 oz candle sells for 20.00

Why on earth would you weigh every single candle, that's just a big waste of time for production. If all variables are the same, like theirs for each pour, you only need to weigh a few of the first pours then mark on the ruler the height. The consistency of your candles is identical and you speed production along. I think it's brilliant!!

Why on earth would you weigh every single candle, that's just a big waste of time for production. If all variables are the same, like theirs for each pour, you only need to weigh a few of the first pours then mark on the ruler the height. The consistency of your candles is identical and you speed production along. I think it's brilliant!!

That's what I do with my lotions, salts and room sprays. I'll weigh out the oz, put it in a few, take a wax pen and mark off each bottle with a tiny mark, fill them all, cap, then go back and rub off the mark. It makes production SO much faster. I've weighed various ones, and the most I've been off is a couple of 10ths at the most.

That's what I do with my lotions, salts and room sprays. I'll weigh out the oz, put it in a few, take a wax pen and mark off each bottle with a tiny mark, fill them all, cap, then go back and rub off the mark. It makes production SO much faster. I've weighed various ones, and the most I've been off is a couple of 10ths at the most.

BTA, that is a brilliant idea!

The reason I questioned the method shown on the video is because it appeared they had one guy holding a ruler and another guy pouring the wax on EVERY candle. I wouldn't say that's brilliant nor economical.

This is a perfect example of many arguments. The end user probably doesnt even notice the wax on the glass. I am a firm believer that people buy because of the fragrance. I drive myself crazy trying to always be neat and clean and would never put out a product like this. I tip my hat to her for owning a large operation and I have to congratulate her for being successful.

MIke

I also have a question with the glue gun wicking??? I use wicker stickars and they WORK.The glue gun when we first started didn't work.Wicks came loose.I found that before I started putting our candles on the market, Thankfully!!!

I agree with another.Why the pretty packaging??? She prob doesn't do shows etc but the first thing people want to see are the candle and to smell them.If she did shows I have to assume she doesn't package.It is attractive but a waste IMO.Just jacks the price up.WOW $20.00.None would sell in Ohio.At least not this area. We get customers from parts of Ohio and they feel taken if they pay $8.00 for a 8 ounce candle JJ.

Other than that she has a great production system going.A big operation so it must be working.

LynnS

Hi All,

I personally feel her process in candlemaking is too long! Using hot glue gun when you can simply use Glue Dots is a much easier process. A lot of times the flaws we see are often overlooked by our customers. Like many have said, we can all have our opinions of her process however she seems to be successful.

Jameel

With that many containers I think it's inefficient to heat them with a heat gun. I would get one of those heater restaurants use to keep the pizza boxes and other stuff hot and put them all under there....Always had that I idea if I make that many candles..Anybody tried it?

I use my oven broiler, but I have to watch them like a hawk and pull them out the instant the top melts.

• 1 month later...

Well all I can say is that I hope her gigantic diamond ring doesn't fall in a candle someday..LOL

As far as her finished products...you know I always have felt that messes come in boxes...after all, my cats agree...HEHEHEHHEHE

I put my cleaned up jars with tight straight wicks out for the world to see, maybe don't have the business like she might have...but I'm proud to put my name on it in the end.

Candy :yay:

Edited by Candycane196

With that many containers I think it's inefficient to heat them with a heat gun. I would get one of those heater restaurants use to keep the pizza boxes and other stuff hot and put them all under there....Always had that I idea if I make that many candles..Anybody tried it?

Actually with the paraffin wax I use I have to preheat the jars to prevent jump lines. I can put the cases (jars and all) under the light bar to warm them up. That light bar also works very well for evening out the tops of soy candles too - but I only do it when I have a HUGE order. The drawback to the restaurant type light bar is that, because of the amps it draws, it has to be hard-wired into the electrical system with its own breaker which means you need to decide on a dedicated work area. Also, in my area, it requires a trip to city hall for the permit and a licensed electrician to do the job. And let's not forget about contacting the insurance company to see how it will affect your policy. Definitely not worth it if you are doing less than 15 cases at a whack in my opinion.

Edited by Judy, USMC