What do you hate most when making candles?

Been a while since we had one of these discussions so I thought I'd see what others think.

Today I am restocking candles so I'm waiting for my wax to melt. While I'm waiting I do all the jar wicking. As much as I love candle making I hate wicking jars! Even with wick centering tools I hate it!

So what do you hate when you make candles?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate Wicking, Centering, Determining and everything related to wicking. I also hate waiting for the candles to cool and cure properly. :)

I hate spilling FO. I hate when my dye bottles leak or I get dye all over my hands. Otherwise....love everything!

What I hate the most is having a hold set up at an angle so that I can get unique layers in my candle. Then going to pour the last layer at the angle, it tips over and spills wax. This has only happened a couple times, I have learned how to not balance my molds quite as precariously, but it is frustrating to lose that work.

I hate being interrupted when I'm on a roll. There's a system and when I can concentrate things get produced very quickly. But if the phone rings and it's a from a person I can't call back - or someone stops by to chat - or there's an accident I have to clean .... well, gently put, it lights my fuze!

I don't like making the tags so the candles and melts can go in the craft mall booth. They require string tags attached to every product with your booth number, price and item description on it.

Happily, I have a 'tween niece and nephew who enjoy helping for a few dollars :)

I hate looking at the dye bottle crooked and getting dye all over my hands. :laugh2: I'm also another one who hates the waiting time. I also hate running out of supplies on a Friday and having to wait for supplies to come, I never seem to have enough supplies.

Truthfully...I don't mind wicking jars.

I hate pouring...especially tarts. When I have to pour several dozen of the same fragrance no matter how hard I try...I always have drips everywhere or overflow the tart molds. I hate wasting that wax so...wait till it hardens and then throw it back in the pour pot and melt it with my heat gun and continue pouring.

And then when pouring containers...making sure they are even. I hate looking at my display at a show and seeing uneven pouring...lol. It's not so bad pouring the shouldered jelly jars from Fillmore but...the Madison jars can be a PITA at times.

Hmm, hate is such a strong word...I would say I dislike pouring tea lights the most. Wicking isn't too bad, but I just got to the point when I get my jars in I wick them all up NOW, not when I need them... It takes a little time but when production starts, it makes that step so much easier =)

Tarts are not bad at all, and pillars are always fun... even if a pillar comes out "wrong" someone will still love it most of the times =) Votives used to be a pain too until we started doing the clamshells for them too =) EASY! =)

The last 10-15 degrees of heating the wax always seems to take forever.

Accidently bumping wicks off center

Neurotically analysing flame height and flicker levels while test candle is burning instead of just enjoying the silly thing.

Sweating on tops and whiskers on Einstein

Bright presto pots and warm candles to dine

Gold cloth sachets tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored dyes and crisp brulee fragrances

Website orders and credit card payments

Wild wicks that shroom with large budding wings

Empoyees in white uniforms with gold colored candles

Wax shavings that stay on my clothes and my sandles

Micas and blocks that melt pretty and sing

When the cat pukes

When the wax burns

When I’m feeling queasy

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don’t feeeeeeel .... soooooo bad

Edited by EricofAZ

When everybody thinks the kitchen is the place to stand right in my way when I'm trying to get orders done.

Oh so VERY true! Very annoying and frustrating!

Wicking is a sure pia also....