HELP with a customer

mtt

I got this response from a wholesale account that I have. The gal I bought the business from must of filled the jars to the top. The kind of jar that was used was a cracker jar 16oz. She hasn't paid me yet, what do you think I should do? I was a little upset with her response and I haven't written her back yet, wanted to see what everyone thinks I should do. Sounds like she wants me to discount more of the price for the candles.

I received my order on Thursday, Thank You. I was, however, very disappointed with the amount of wax in the jars. They have about 10% less wax than the original jars. I'll have to sell these candles at a discounted price, because placed on the shelf next to my remaining inventory they are quite obviously less full. Is there a reason they are filled this way? I'm afraid can't foresee purchasing these candles in the future. I haven't found candles that compare to the past quality of Soy Radiant Candles so my hope is that this was just a one-time error.

Upon your response, I'll send payment.

Thank you for your time in this matter,

I would just tell her that you will re-do the order and get the other candles back. You state that you purchased the business from someone else so previous customers are expecting the same candles/service as before.

I just looked at the candles on your website (very nice site) and see that the jars look full. If you aren't going to fill them up like in the picture then I would change the pictures as people will feel like they are being deceived.

I agree with number2of7; you should have had her prepay. I would just let her know that your policy is for payment beofre or upon delivery. However, I also agree with someone else who stated that I would take these candles back and re-do them with more wax and up the price due to material costs.

I would not wait too long to respond though as the longer you wait the harder it usually is to get your money.

Good luck!!

Is the wholesale customer aware that the biz is under new ownership? Is the customer in your area so that you can go take a look at her current inventory and compare candles? I also wondered why you didn't collect payment upon delivery. I also think it would be the right thing to do to redo the order. But this time when you deliver get your payment.

How many candles are we talking about? I would ask her what she would be willing to pay for the current order and take a hit. Anything else is a lot of work. I take it that she hasn't put these candles on the shelf yet? How much remaining inventory doe she have? Personally, if this isn't a really large account, I'd take my candles back and take off the labels and sell them somewhere else.

This whole thing just sounds messy. If you're not comfortable filling the jars up the way the previous person did, then don't. Tell her this is how YOU make candles, you might want to offer her a bigger/better "bulk" discount so that if she feels she has to sell the candles for less then she's not taking a loss on them. Granted, she'll have to buy more of them in order to make it worth it for her but that leaves the choice up to her.

If she is local, go by the store and see what she is talking about. First, good customer service is to give her a discount. Now, I say that because she is expecting you to do exactly as the previous owner did. Why would she expect any different?

IMO, if you are purchasing an existing company, you should offer the "same" product. If your pricing has to change, then do that. I'm sure part of the purchase price was her customer base/listing. If so, then you owe it to those customers to continue on as usual. If you can't you should relay that info. to them via mail or email, so they aren't surprise by what you send when they place orders.

A friend of mine that made candles for 8 years and made TONS of money, sold her company lock stock and barrel to a lady about 50 miles West of us. She carries the same jars, FO, company name, logo, and all and literally duplicates the candles that my friend made. By doing so, she hasn't lost a single customer. They want what they've always gotten.

That's just my 2 cents. I hope you get it worked out and don't lose the customer.

I'd say you screwed up by not giving an existing customer what they are expecting. You should have notified her of any changes you were making before surprising her with them.

I also agree with whoever said that if the pixs on your site are not a true representation of your candles because you don't fill them as full, then you need to change them quick or you'll have more unhappy customers! :cool2:

The candles were filled to the top just like it is on the web site. I contacted the old owner and she came over to see my other candles that I did fill and she said she does't know why she is complaining because I did it the same way she did. When I took the company over she was training me for a week on all the products she did. This was her only customer that had arrangements to mail a business check after the order was sent. I always get payment before I make anything because of this. The other owner is going to take a ride with me today out there to see what is her problem.

That is awesome that the old owner is willing to head over there with you! That way there should be a quick resolution for you. As horrible as this sounds, if she knows you are the "new" owner she may have tried complaining just to see how far she could push you.

I hope this all works out quickly for you.

I think going to your account with the previous owner is the best of all possible worlds. If you made them to the previous owner' specifications, but your customer is telling you the candles have significantly less wax, this is the best way to find out if someone is pulling your leg or something is truly wrong, and having the previous owner with you will clear up any other questions and keep everyone honest.

Yes, please do let us know how this works out. I hate to say it, but sometimes wholesale accounts can be a real pain. They can get shifty...and maybe she doesn't think you are still in contact with the previous owner and is hoping you'll just give her a deeper discount in the hopes that she won't drop you. When I did wholesale, accounts were always trying to get something more - not order the minimums, order one of this and one of that and have them count to the minimums, etc. That's when I decided I didn't want to do wholesale anymore. I still have a few 10 year old accounts that are a dream to work with, but I don't take anymore new ones.:tiptoe:

We went out there and she was surprise to see the old owner. Nothing was wrong with the amount of wax in the containers. We did figure out with the cracker jar since the old company quit making them and a new company that I found that had some they are a little bit smaller then the old jars. But you really can not tell unless you put them side by side.

Anyways, she did keep them and gave me my check and I told her going forward, our new policy is that any product that is purchase needs to be paid in full before it is shipped.:P

We went out there and she was surprise to see the old owner. Nothing was wrong with the amount of wax in the containers. We did figure out with the cracker jar since the old company quit making them and a new company that I found that had some they are a little bit smaller then the old jars. But you really can not tell unless you put them side by side.

Anyways, she did keep them and gave me my check and I told her going forward, our new policy is that any product that is purchase needs to be paid in full before it is shipped.:P

well done