BCN lip balm lovers, rejoice!

Spellkast

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

so I tried the olive oil- I wasn't able to find cocoa butter (and impatient me couldn't wait)

I modified a recipe I found online-

4 parts olive oil

3 parts beeswax

1 part honey

vitamin E

Flavour oils/ Essential oils

(to 1/2 I added tea tree and lemon; to the other 1/2 I added vanilla and apple)

Also to 1 batch I didn't add the honey, but added 8 choc. chips. and peppermint

So far, so good. They are a bit waxy, but not bad for a first try.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I'm very new to lip balm. I made this recipe and it felt great but I'm a pocket lip balm girl and it melted to easily. What can I change to make it harder but keep the moisture and nice gliding on feeling that this has.

Thanks for your help.

Barb

Hey Barb- try upping the beeswax a tiny bit- just a TINY bit, though...if you add too much more, it may be too hard to rub in. It should make the bar firmer without compromising the consistency. Don't add any more butters, since they'll just melt as well...the beeswax is firmer and resists melting better. HTH! :) And I can't help with the pots...maybe if you ask for suggestions under the B&B section- or the business section someone can help you. I only use the tubes, sorry!

• 3 weeks later...
So, I've been using the lip balm base from BCN, which I LOVE!!! But, despite its inexpensiveness, I'm always trying to save a buck and have tried to make lip balm from scratch. I've tried a couple of recipes and I finally found one I like as much -if not MORE- than BCN'S!!! It goes on smooth, and seems to be helping my chapped lips more because I think it stays on longer than BCN's (maybe that's because I eat it off within five minutes.) Anyway, here it is, and if anyone tries it, let me know how you like it!!!

4 oz. beeswax

4 oz. coconut oil

1 oz. shea butter

3 oz. cocoa butter

4 oz. sweet almond oil (or 8 oz. if you don't use fractionated coconut oil)

4 oz. coconut oil (fractionated)

Melt everything in the microwave (or however you wish) and add your flavor oil and you're done!! This makes roughly 80 lip balm tubes worth of lip balm, so I made 1/4 of this to make 20 lip balms. I used MMS's buttercream at 6 mL, and it tastes wonderful! I hope all of you BCN addicts try this!!!

Michelle

Michelle, a wee bit Castor in there will help with shine and moisturizing too :) One thing with Shea butter, for some reason I wasn't able to know whether I would have a grainy lip balm or not, sometimes they would go grainy, others times, not. So, if you find you have that problem too, try this upping your Cocoa Butter and adding some Castor Oil. It is excellent in lip balms! :)

• 1 month later...
I agree with you 100% on making your own. Ya save more money in the long run, but the only thing I would try to eliminate if I were doing it, is the Almond Oil. The only reason why is that there are so many people today with an allergy to nuts and I had a women that couldn't even touch my packaging due to that reason. I eliminated the almond oil and found that my sales increased 75% on my bath bombs. Just a thought for any of you out there that have a great bath line, but are finding it not reaching out and grabbing more customers.

I know this is an OLD thread, but I wanted to thank you for recognizing, and acting on, the nut-allergy issue. My son has a life-threatening nut allergy and I struggle daily to find products that are safe to have in the house. Think how I would feel if I kissed him and .... Shudder!

Thanks again, Carol

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this recipe. I'm a lip balm addict! I added 4 oz. of jojoba oil to this and it is perfect for me. Never have tried BCN's lip balm base, but have tried MMS, Camden-Grey, and a couple others. It is a bit soft compared to the stuff I used to buy at Walmart {Blistex} but that's how I like it! I think this stuff is the bomb!! :D Thank you, thank you!!

what do you think about adding menthol crystals to it? I love carmex and would love to find a way to make that in a tube form.

Why don't you just try adding peppermint eo? It's lip safe and you can add to your desired strength.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting your recipe, Spellkast! I made some up this morning and my husband reports, "Say, that's really nice!" It's very smooth; I used cocoa butter, omitting the shea as you suggested.

:whoohoo: Made up Lavender Mint (used an EO blend I purchased on the classifieds), Vanilla Orange, and Coconut Lemongrass. The texture is great!

Thankyou so much!:grin2: