BCN lip balm lovers, rejoice!

Spellkast

Just made it this morning (oh how I love lip balms and lotion bars - whip up quick and you can make a tiny batch).

It's slick, and goes on really light. Since I am of the ChapStick (waxy) persuasion, I"m gonna toughen it up a little for myself, but if I was to sell one, this would be close in!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Have been thinking about trying this as I'm addicted to lip balms lol, might be cheaper to make my own than to buy 10 of them at a time lol. It sounds really easy to make.....can it really be that easy? hehe I know I once thought that about making a candle as well....boy did I find out different lol. :) Thanks for the recipe.

grainy seems to be a lip balm theme lately. All I can think is that the beeswax was not absolutely completely melted, else it was not absolutely completely blended with the other ingredients. you might be able to remelt, let us know!

I was about to pitch it, but changed my mind...Im cheap. I will attempt to reheat it tomorrow to see what happens...Wishing me luck...LOL

My daughter and I last night made chocolate lip balm (little flower pots) from the BCN base and feels great, but now I found this recipe...now I don't have to be so stingy with my base! Anyway, I see 4 oz. coconut oil is listed and then 4 oz. fractionated coconut oil. So am I to use 8 oz. coconut all together?

• 2 months later...

Hello all! I'm getting ready to make some balms for the first time and I thought I'd bump this up and see if there is any additonal or updated info to be gleened.

One thing I don't see is an Flavor oil amount. Any suggestions of where to start? And has any one in fact used menthol crystals? Some one asked if they could, so i'm just wondering if they did and how that worked for them. Also, if I don't get these all bottled up before it cools, do I just stick it back in the micro again?

Thank you soo much for any updates!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried methol in balms yet. I've used up to 3% flavor oil for balms, but would try 1% or less for a stronger oil like menthol. It's alot easier to add flavor oil than to realized that you added too much. Just my opinion.

I pour balm into a clean wide-mouth half-pint jar. Then put the jar on a candle warmer to keep it liquid while filling tubes up. To fill the tubes, I use a pipette. I haven't tried the microwave yet for melting balms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I pour balm into a clean wide-mouth half-pint jar. Then put the jar on a candle warmer to keep it liquid while filling tubes up. To fill the tubes, I use a pipette. I haven't tried the microwave yet for melting balms.

I love the jar ideal. You could cap and save some for later. This is a great way to keep warm while filling and the pipettes are a good ideal too. Thanks to all...

My experience with beeswax based balms is that you can't micro them... BUT once it's melted and you find it a bit too cool and starting to set up, you can then pop it in the micro for 20 sec increments at a time. So it works in that sense, but I haven't been able to melt it from a hard state.

I microwave all the time...but at low power.

Now the grainy...I blame only on the shea butter. Is all about how it cools, right? But I made some in the summer..that half way in the tube, it turned grainy. So I just sub out the shea butter all together. If you need the label appeal, could you sub out an oil & replace it with shea oil? I've never used shea oil, but I think it'd work.

So, after reading all the posts, do I understand that this can be a lotion bar base as well? Am I supposed to change it at all? Would it be greasy? I woudl love to make some but I don't have enough tubes even if I cut the recipe (I'm at the beginners stage), and it'd be nice to use some of the base as lotion bars...

Christina

I just finished making this. I've never tried BCN's but I can tell you that I'm not a lip balm kinda gal but I couldn't wait to try this recipe. When I finished pouring, I put one of the tubes in the fridge so it would harden faster. I flavored with Pina Colada (it's the only flavor oil I had). I just applied it....this feels great! I used natural shea....not grainy at all....so far. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe. :thumbsup:

I beleive that any oil you want to add would be fine. Simply up the amt of beeswax a few shavings at a time. Just realize any alterations will mean trial and error. I did not have the correct or exact measureing tools myself, so I pretty much winged it... and I absolutely love it. I also pulled some amts out to play with and I added all kinds of stuff to it to make lip gloss, salves, etc.

I passed out a few of the samples this morning at the preschool and where I get coffee in the mornings and everybody immediately applied them....they LOVED it!! I have a question about preservative.....should I have added one to this? There was no mention of a preservative. I did tell the people, who I know well, that there were no preservatives. Any help on this particular issue is appreciated. Thanks!