BCN lip balm lovers, rejoice!

Spellkast

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a great tip so you're butter won't go grainy and have been using it for my body butters and lotion bars for years. It's eliminated all graininess. The tip is:

to melt your butters on high in 1 min. intervals until melted then continue to micro another 3-5 minutes on low (this is the part that eliminates the grains)

Also, pertaining to nut allergies. Shea butter is obtained from the shea nut so it may also be a problem for those with nut allergies.

I also make my own lip balms and use cosmetic grade soy wax instead of beeswax to appeal to those that prefer vegan.

Ahsoy, when you say to continue melting on low for 3-5 minutes, how much SB are you melting? I'm trying to guage how long to hold it at a low temp.

I would love to find a way to keep grainiess away! It disappointed me when I made this into a lotion bar, it developed grains. The lip balm did not. Leads me to think the cool down is playing a part...

Well... I certainly plan on it, lol... if you seen my post about how I MEANT to only make a 1/4 of it and ended up putting the entire amount of SAO- you could understand, lol. I can't stand the thought of wasting so I had to go back and add in the rest of the full ingredients for an 80 tube batch. So I have 80% of it still in a tupperware waiting for me to get some lotion tubes. I will then remelt and use it up. Cuz the way I figure it, yes this is the same as a premade base... only we are making it. Surely you wouldn't have to use up a premade base with in the first melting or two right? I've never used one or read how to but I'm feeling pretty safe, lol.

It would be really nice ... and so helpful if someone who uses a base can tell us exactly what they do. That is if they do small amts at a time. How do you measure it out- do you just scoop it out and melt however much you need, slap the lid back on and forget about it till you need more?? Color me curioius.:confused::grin2:

• 3 weeks later...

I've never done this with balm - have only made soap and lotion bars. But for soap I make a master batch of oils and I would imagine it works the same. just make the big batch without flavor oils, then put it in a container. You can scoop it out measuring by weight the amount you want melt it down, and add the flavor oil.

This is what I plan to do as even with my decent digital scale measure miniscule amounts is a pain!

Bethany

I've never done this with balm - have only made soap and lotion bars. But for soap I make a master batch of oils and I would imagine it works the same. just make the big batch without flavor oils, then put it in a container. You can scoop it out measuring by weight the amount you want melt it down, and add the flavor oil.

This is what I plan to do as even with my decent digital scale measure miniscule amounts is a pain!

Bethany

I do as Bethany suggests and it works very well! :)

Okay, this has me intrigued. I am a lover of BCN lip balm base, have been using it for years with no problem.

Is it still working, Spellkast? I am going to try this base, soon. I have all the ingredients so won't be a big deal. I am also looking for a home made lip gloss, so adding castor oil will make this glossy? The idea of this for a lotion bar sounds good too. I think the BCN base is awful thick for a lotion bar, would like something a little softer, but work in a tube.

Man, I love this board. Something I just discovered was a suggested offering of $10 a year? I didn't notice that before, I am more than glad to pay that. The information on here is priceless.

Thanks to all who contribute.

The gloss I made out of this took quite a bit of not only added castor oil but also of the other liquid oil (Apricot Kernel Oil in my case) I may have even added more of the veg. glycerin. But it was the first experiment I attempted so i'm not so sure how 'great' it is, but I like it... I'm still using what I made that day, lol. I also made another batch from some of the home made base I pulled out and tried to do the same thing with, but it still acts a bit more like a tub balm texture. It doesn't look as pretty in the applicator bottles, lol... but it still melts on contact with the lips and has a nice feel.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to try this recipe also. I am new to B&B products and have just been using bases so I don't have any of the butters and oils. Do most of them have to be ordered from suppliers or are they available in stores? I know I can get Vit E and castor oil locally. I have the BC base and 2 flavor oils.

I made some of this earlier today. I subbed cocoa butter for the mango and used jojoba oil. This is the smoothest, creamiest lip balm I've ever used. This is definitely going to be my recipe from now on. The other recipe I tried had too much of a waxy feel to it.

You can get cocoa butter at Walgreens it comes in a one ounce tube. The other butters are the one's you're probably going to have to order online.

I made this and found it a little drying. I didn't use shea, subbed it for more Cocoa butter, used all SAO for the liquid oils. I think I will try it next time taking out the coconut oil and subbing shea or mango, OR doing all cocoa butter for the hard oils.

Bethany

• 1 month later...
So, I've been using the lip balm base from BCN, which I LOVE!!! But, despite its inexpensiveness, I'm always trying to save a buck and have tried to make lip balm from scratch. I've tried a couple of recipes and I finally found one I like as much -if not MORE- than BCN'S!!! It goes on smooth, and seems to be helping my chapped lips more because I think it stays on longer than BCN's (maybe that's because I eat it off within five minutes.) Anyway, here it is, and if anyone tries it, let me know how you like it!!!

4 oz. beeswax

4 oz. coconut oil

1 oz. shea butter

3 oz. cocoa butter

4 oz. sweet almond oil (or 8 oz. if you don't use fractionated coconut oil)

4 oz. coconut oil (fractionated)

Melt everything in the microwave (or however you wish) and add your flavor oil and you're done!! This makes roughly 80 lip balm tubes worth of lip balm, so I made 1/4 of this to make 20 lip balms. I used MMS's buttercream at 6 mL, and it tastes wonderful! I hope all of you BCN addicts try this!!!

Michelle

Are these liquid or weight measurements?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

To revive this thread a bit..... if you are making the recipe for LOTION BARS, isn't it supposed to be something like equal parts oils and butters? Then simply add a bit of wax to harden up the bar? I like lotion bars in the push up tubes. Anyone used Grapeseed oil in their lotion bar recipe? I like it b/c it's so light and soaks in quickly. Also, I've seen some folks using corn starch or Natrasorb in their lotion bars. This is to cut the greasy feel I am guessing. Anyone have experience with what your customers think of that addition? Please share or PM me if you have suggestions. Thanks in advance!