Wondering about Respirators

There are so many out there to choose from and not sure which one to purchase! Is there any kind that works better for the fo fumes than others? I would like to purchase one w/the filters instead of the one time use ones!! Seems like these fo's are really taking a toll on me lately :undecided

Thanks for any input!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine at home depot years ago. It is the kind with removable filters you just change out over time. They are hard to breath out of but you eventually get use to it. I find if I don't use mine when I am making candles I get plugged up and don't feel well the next day (congested). I'm short so my face is always near the pot. Not only the FO but I feel like I'm breathing waxy residue. Get you a respirator, I think it will help you a lot. It sure has helped me and I feel like I am being safer with my health.

:o i feel so stupid! this past tes. i made tarts and wickless candles all day long. next day i had sore throat and cold like simpons, told dh i don't know why i feel like this, throat was sore but didn't hurt, i could still swallow easy. and my lips was like numb.:undecided now i know why. i don't usually make but like one scent at a time. but i'm making up some tarts & wickless candles to sell. and monday i make 5 or 6 different scents. i 'm back to doing one scent a day now. would those paper filters/ mask work that you can buy .

I like sniffing the fumes myself, it makes me feel gooder.... promotes the bestest creatillity. ;) ~~~~HAHAHA~~~

LMAO Bruce! I find in the winter is when I really have a problem. Last year, I ended up with pneumonia as a result of FO exposure.

Coincidentally, HenryK posted a link today regarding a scientific study that was done regarding fragrance oils and mottling. I was shocked to find out that fragrance oils are commonly made with Benzyl benzoate, dioctyl phthalate and/or dioctyl adipate. Those are nasty chemicals that are known to cause respiratory illness, birth defects, etc.

(Guess that explains why you guys got sick.) :cry2:

You had me ROTFL!! :D How did you find a picture like that so quick -- the man in the orange suit. Is that you ? :rolleyes:
Yep, that's what I look like when I'm ready for some serious candlemaking. I'm not saying you all have to invest that much in gear, but as you can see I'm serious about it. Then again, I seldom feel it's been a good session unless there's been at least some serious fumes, if not smoke and flames.

Those little paper face masks are not good for vapors, more for dust. You need a respirator!

Type in respirators at homedepot.com and they have them for $19.97. If you go to the website put in the catalog # 100076338 at the right top hand search and it will pull it up. For some reason I can't seem to copy the url over. HTH

Thank Everyone so much for you input and the good laugh :laugh2: I didn't get a chance to check back in last night but this morning i am sitting at my desk cracking up!!!

ya the fo's really are starting to bother me so no more candles until i get one...i have fans pulling the air out and one window openblowing fresh air in but its not helping to much :undecided plus its starting to get cold so i don't want to many windows open!

have a wonderful weekend everybody =)

Then again, I seldom feel it's been a good session unless there's been at least some serious fumes, if not smoke and flames.

*chokes again, gives up drinking Pepsi and wonder if he's not the one that's been teleporting over to my place and screwing with my levelling issue* hmmmmm..............

I have to say thanks, too. I think my recent bout with allergies was partially brought on by a marathon week of pouring. I did get a better mask, and that helped, but I most definitely need a respirator if I will be doing this for much longer. I have really been contemplating my business because of this.

Faerydust,

I also open basement windows and fans blow out .It can get to you and I am chemical sensitive.I think though not many bother me but the Hot Buttered Rum.WOW that was strong.Got to my husband too.Also when doing the cardboard air fresheners was a little much with some of the scents.Really I have tried the paper masks and I think they are not that great.In fact I felt like FO was pulling into the mask.It seemed real strong.Doesn't make sense but also felt suffocating and maybe why I don't think it worked.

If I had to wear all that garb I don't know.Kinda looks like what the astronaunts(sp??) wear.

It is getting colder and will have to wear a coat in the basement when doing candles with windows opened.Fresh air to me is the best.

LynnS

Wow, I am brand new to candlemaking had not even considered the fume issue!

Do any of you feel you can get by without the respirator if you're just doing a small batch? I hate wearing those things so much (have worn in the past for other projects)! :laugh2:

Yeesh, I'm happy I've moved to a warmer climate...windows open won't be as big of an issue. :smiley2:

If i keep making tarts & wickless this winter i will have to get a respirator, because when i got sore throat and things the other day , i had kitchen window open with a fan standing at back door, all windows and doors was open because it was a warm, sunshine day. i had never thought about the smell/ fumes bothering me, till i read this post.

This is what I use personally.

:laugh2: Spoken in the spirit of a true smart a$$, I'm sure. Thanks for the laugh. lol

Bruce, you qwacked me up, too.

Holly, love your horse. Though, shouldn't s/he be pulling something instead of running? :grin2::wink2: I never really appreciated draft horses 'til I had an occassion to see the Bud Clydes quite a few years ago. Wowzer! Magnificent creatures!!!

I've also been thinking about a respirator. When I do remelts, certain FOs seem to start smoking really quick, & I have my presto temp on low. Lately, I've been congested, too. Thanks to this thread I'm more convinced that a respirator would be a good investment for my health. Life's too short as it is.

glad to see this post. I've been having problems & just couldn't figure out how to phrase question :tiptoe: . Besides the congestion & sore throat, I'm actually tasting the FOs on my lips & tongue -- especially when I'm using Patchouli and stearic. (Patchouli tastes like crap) Also, when I hug a sweating candle - goes straight to my tongue :tongue2: . Guess I ought to be thinking about wearing gloves too.

On a serious note (meaning more serious than my previous posts in this thread), I get the congestion and throat thing sometimes but what really concerns me is the skin contact. I find that when I de-mold my mottles, nothing gives them as nice a finish as wiping them with the palms of my hands. I wash the goop off but my hands feel a little cold for an hour or so afterwards. As Pam noticed, the stuff can be absorbed through the skin.