Wondering about Respirators

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top: It is definately worse w/mottles. What's the stearic doing to us?? or do we really wanna know:lipsrseal
I don't worry about the stearic, just the FO. Stearic is a natural product which, apart from being refined from animal fat, can be produced by hydrogenating vegetable oil. It's used in some skin care products and soy wax is partially composed of stearic acid (a much higher proportion than we normally ever add to paraffin).

I am seriously thinking about venting my studio. On some days I feel sickish and I seem to always have an irritation on my right eyelid....I know that the cinnamon ones really get my skin. When I worked in a beauty salon I got real sick......real sick....... Now I just want to get out of here....the vanilla is making me feel ill. Here's the new mask I am wearing now. Donita

post-248-139458383077_thumb.jpg

did a google on the stearic & found that it isn't anything to worry about. Wonder if there is any type of hand lotion that would help block the absorption?

Donita: I notice a big difference between when I have the A/C running vs. the swamp cooler. With the house shut up tight, the fumes get really bad. .. venting would be a good idea. Love the new mask. It looks great on you.

I am so happy some one posted about this. I already have Fibromyalgia and Rhumetoid arthritis,,I dont need a breathing problem too. I felt congested last week and I have not made a candle for a week now. I am feeling better but I do notice that some scents make my throat feel like it is all congested and my nose hurts. I am going to invest in one of these respirators. Thank you so much for posting this topic.:D

I just found a website posted by Osha and it mentioned that fumes from paraffins probably aren't dangerous in the United States because we have improved them, but that being exposed to high temperatures of melted parrafin and make you feel ill. So that is something else to consider. It might not be just the FO but a combination.....I am on a quest to find some more info. Donita

i am so glad i posted this to because it seems as if alot of people are experiencing the same type of feelings. I do love making candles but don't want to have health issues because of it!!! i seriously cannot even make clean cotton talk about choking me up..LOL i ordered the respirator from uline (thank you so much for the link:) ) and should have it today. i am going to use it to make some candles this week and i will let you guys know how it does. i purchased the filter for dust & fumes. i know its not dust that i am looking for but fumes are so i hope it works well!!

I agree about health problems.In fact 4 of my relatives and friends were diagnosed this year with cancer.So I have been quite concerned.My one friend was gone in 4 months(recurrence) and niece is not doing good.It did spread in my friennd to the lungs liver and brain.

Also you know and hear about people (young and old) living on respirators some it may be smoking and others where they worked with chemicals.Since I am sensitive to odors I will get a respirator.I have used the paper masked but felt I could still smell it and was being pushed into the mask.To me is was still strong but sure it blocked some.

I did read where some on hear have had to be hospitalized for lung problems and one lady had problems with Lye.I just don't use that at all.Bleach at times gets to me.I will start the MP soap but then I have the FO and also bet the soap fumes can be somewhat nauseating.

Glad this was posted and thought about it but never jumped on doing something.I did not think about respirators just knew about masks.Still will open my basement window and FREEZE.

LynnS

I've always been concerned about fragrance fumes - I wear a respirator at times, mostly hold my breath as I'm pouring :) Only turn blue on those big batches :)

I noticed some mentioned skin - it's important to wear gloves. I always glove up before pouring - you can wear latex gloves (if you aren't allergic to latex) or any of those exam gloves - they still allow you to be mobile.

OK.....now....there are large candle companies, we know a lot of them, they must have some data on their employees who work in the huge factories surrounded daily with fumes? How are they doing? The insurance companies would know. How can we find that info? Donita

Pregnant women are usually nauseated by strong smells. In order to continue working while pregnant, the factory must have special equipment to draw the fumes up and out of the building.

I seriously doubt any candle company or its insurance company would release information regarding fragrance oil vapors and employee health. Even if they had been sued repeatedly, the public wouldn't know about it. They would settle the lawsuits out of court and one of the conditions of settlement would be that the plaintiff could never reveal any information about the suit or how much money he/she was awarded. They do this because if the public found out, it would leave the candle company wide open to lawsuits from everyone who ever bought their product and later came down with cancer or a respiratory illness.

I'm glad you asked about these respirtors faerydust, because it never occured to me that the fumes was what was making me feel the way i was. today i had to pour one batch of cherry tarts, its cold here today in the 30's. so i had door and window closed. within just a couple of mins. i started getting a headach . so i got to order me one also. because i just got a few orders for tarts and wickless candle in basket for christmas gifts. and i'm thinking if one dozen of tarts does me like this no way i'll be able to make a bunch. i've always had trouble with some smells anyway. dh is a mechanic, when he comes home with some smells on him he know to strip on porch or head straight to bathroom. i could never make hundreds of candles at a time for big orders like i know some of you do.

I went through a couple of VERY bad bouts before I figured out it was the candles. I had been making candles for over a year. I was making them one day, just after my youngest son was born, and I had poured a bunch, in anticipation of a craft fair. I began to feel lightheaded, so my hubby made me come into the house (I had been in my candle shed) and lie down. I began to feel that I couldn't breathe. In fact, I could NOT draw in a complete breath. This went on for a couple of days. I had NO idea what had brought it on. Then, about a month later, I was pouring another huge batch, same issue. That's when it hit me. I was in that shed, the doors closed, even with the fans going, and everything, it wasn't enough to suck out all the fumes. Hubby told me that I had to start wearing a respirator, so I did.

I am so glad I found this information. Especially after my little trip to the emergency room last night! My allergies had been bothering me when I woke up in the morning & after pouring some Dreamsicle & Vanilla Buttercream tarts I could barely breathe! After suffering all day I finally gave up and when to the hospital at 11:30 pm. Had to have 2 breathing treatments & a shot in the a**! Any kind of smoke in general usually bothers me but it never got this serious from making candles. From now on I will be wearing a mask with respirator too!

Actually that is one of the reasons why I started doing my own candles. I always had issues with store bought candles in general. WAY too strong of FOs for me - plus it seems that the types used smell more like chemical air fresheners than high-end type scents - IMO, things like White Barn or Votivo. Put fresh cut roses in a room and walk into it - no matter what the FO or how close it is - there is just something different about the flowers as opposed to the synthetic. To me its obvious that even when you walk into a florist shop with TONS of flowers - its more uplifting than overpowering like a room full of candles would be.

I don't think its just candles per se, but with candles, room sprays, perfumes, soaps, shampoos, laundry detergents, anti-bacterial handsoaps, hairsprays, cleaning products, etc. ALL having strong synthetics in them, this all is going to lead to an increase in adverse reactions in a growing number of people IMO.

This seems so weird, but it seems to be working. I have a fire in the fireplace because it was 40 this morning, but in the studio I have the little window A/C unit on. It is on the lowest setting......for two days now and I feel better. It was on everyday during summer and I didn't start feeling sickish until recently....hmmmmmmmm the A/C was off.....it is going to stay on all winter. All of my heated wax keeps the room warm anyway...sometimes it gets up to 90. Then I look out of the window and see snow....crazy. Donita

Scary!

So now I have to wonder, if fragrance vapors are making people sick when they make candles...is it safe for them to breathe the vapors when they light one in their homes?

Usually chandlers are working with more fragrances, and a huge melt pool (our melt pools are probably 12" or more!), so our exposure is a lot greater than someone who is lighting a few candles in their house. DH is very sensitive, that's why I was banished to the basement. That's why I started my biz too, to have lightly scented products for people who are sensitive. But I've fallen into the trap of heavily scenting. This is a good reminder thread for me to back down again.

I wonder if 100% pure essential oils would be a safer choice for fragrancing pillars? Anyone know?
There's nothing inherently safe about plant extracts. Some essential oils are known to be poisonous to household pets and they don't all have desirable effects on humans under all circumstances. Normal usage isn't to burn them so we don't really know what we're getting in the air with that either.

Socrates was executed with a natural extract if I recall. ;)

Well now it makes sense. I am new to candle making and was wondering about the fumes. Im am 35 and very healthy. But recently I've been getting tired alot and haven't been sleeping well. My nose is also starting t run. I'll bet money it's the fumes in my system. I am definately going to Home Depot tomorrow and getting a respirator!

Wow they're dropping like flies.

Did we ever come to a conclusion about which type of respirator is best for this? I was looking at the ones Uline carries and was thinking that the product for painting (half face respirator with the organic vapor filter) might be the thing to use.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_992.asp?desc=Reusable+Respirators+%26+Supplies