Wondering about Respirators

In fact, you could look at it the opposite way - you could say essential oils might be *more* dangerous than fragrance oils made for candles. We would be working at much higher concentrations, and since they come direct from the plant, who knows what concentrations of certain chemicals are in there. EOs in high concentrations can be very dangerous. Wintergreen is poisonous, cinnamon will give you a headache in a hurry. Even lavender that's one of the most innocuous essential oils can be sensitizing. At least fragrance oils are "designed" and safety is kept in mind when the aromachemicals are being blended. Though it's true there are aromachemicals that can also be problems.

All fragrances, both synthetic and "natural", can be sensitizing and do some harm. I take precautions with *all* of them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow they're dropping like flies.

Did we ever come to a conclusion about which type of respirator is best for this? I was looking at the ones Uline carries and was thinking that the product for painting (half face respirator with the organic vapor filter) might be the thing to use.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_992.asp?desc=Reusable+Respirators+%26+Supplies

Thats the one that hangs in my basement all day long.... as I am pouring hundreds of candles...... with out it on. Makes me sweat like a pig and wrinkles my purdy face. Psychosomatic if you ask me. ;) Bruce

Breanna, my daughter has the same health problems you do plus a lot that goes with it, i make her call before coming over , just in case i'm making something, she likes the tarts , easier on her . but she can't handle real strong ones or cinnamon. i was looking at the specialty masks, they not so big looking and it says they are for oil laden air. i'm doing just one scent at a time now , been ok so far.

i was looking at the specialty masks, they not so big looking and it says they are for oil laden air. i'm doing just one scent at a time now , been ok so far.
I may be wrong, but I think you may not be looking at the appropriate masks. If we have a serious concern about feeling ill due to chemical fumes, then masks made to filter out dust and droplets or absorb odors may not cut it. Something made to effectively protect a painter from fumes sounds more like it. I don't know how long the cartidges last, but buying the respirator and cartridge is cheaper than buying a case of the lightweight masks, plus if it works properly the money may be better spent. This is probably where we could use an expert to point out the right product but that is my instinct.

So true Top.. i don't know what kind would be best, i just know if its big and ill fiting on my face, i couldn't handle that. i can't stand anything on my face it smothers me ( or i think that ) but i sure don't like this slow way of fooling with candles, once i have all the mess out i like to get more than one batch done, i'm in my kitchen doing this. didn't matter when i was just fooling around but now i have orders to fill.

I bought the one described ealier at Home Depot and was told by the staff that it would protect me just fine. It is for painters. I tried it today making heavy FO candles and I barely caught a wiff of the FO.

It's definately worth my health!!! Cancer, toxins, and medicals issues are not worth it.

There's nothing inherently safe about plant extracts. Normal usage isn't to burn them so we don't really know what we're getting in the air with that either. Socrates was executed with a natural extract if I recall. ;)

That's why I've been hesitant to switch over to essential oils instead of FO's. My own knowledge of herbs tells me that some are just inherently dangerous, especially to children, pets and pregnant women. But I was hoping someone here might have knowledge of actual research that has been done with regard to burning EO's. I'm thinking it might be a valid concern because of what happens when a gardener accidentally burns some poison oak or poison ivy in his leaf pile. Inhaling the smoke could land him in the hospital...or worse.

Still, I've seen EO "burners" in health-food stores, where the oil is suspended over a tealight so it can vaporize into the air and scent your home. Seems kind of risky to me.

All fragrances, both synthetic and "natural", can be sensitizing and do some harm. I take precautions with *all* of them.

Sounds good to me. I think I'll save my FO's and EO's for making "scent bead" sachets. They lightly scent a room without actually having to burn something, and no one breathes enough of it to get sick. :wink2:

But I was hoping someone here might have knowledge of actual research that has been done with regard to burning EO's.

Still, I've seen EO "burners" in health-food stores, where the oil is suspended over a tealight so it can vaporize into the air and scent your home. Seems kind of risky to me.

The EO in them is just heated though - not burned, so it is different. Now, if you look at the MSDS sheet for an EO there should be a section for fire and explosion hazards. (A while ago I was researching musk alternatives for body sprays. One, Cistus ladaniferus, states "emits toxic fumes under fire conditions", so obviously this is not something that is suited for candlemaking at all.)

HTH

Hi,

Had to tell you guys this!

My husband and I were reading this thread a couple nights ago, and was stunned. I had just gotten out of the hospital last Sunday with some of the same symptoms others had mentioned really hadnt thought much about fragrance oils. Got feeling better so I thought I'd get back to making candles, 1st ones were ok, nice and light, coconut cream pie, chestnuts and brown sugar, ...great, now lets do Cinnamon Roll, WHOA NELLY! Sheeeewww, here we go again! Couldnt breath, had to take a breathing treatment. Needless to say we started a search for respirators online.

Hubby comes home today from work, so pleased with himself, said "Hey I got you a present!" I look and sure enough the ugliest respirator I have ever seen in my life LOL! Actually got it at a great price at our local hardware! Of course I was thrilled, "OH THANK YOU THANK YOU!:bliss:

I have become a cheap date, cause he used to not get that kind of reaction

unless it was jewelry, or at the least pizza! :laugh2: Thats what happens after 25 years! (He was just too cute!)

Lets go try this puppy out!

i decide to whip out the respirator and make candles last night..i purchased the 1/2 mask from uline.... first off i look like a bug :grin2:http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_992.asp?desc=Reusable+Respirators+%26+Supplies

second i ordered the retainer and the filters for dust/fumes..can't put the little darling together there is no cartridge? but no place to order them so i assumed they came with the respirator..they didn't.....so it doesn't snap together. then i open the instructions and they say if not used properly can cause death....hmmmm then i open the filter instructions and they say do not use around oils!!!!!!! YIKES! $60 bucks and i can't even use the stinker...back in the box & back to uline...then off to home depot!!!!!!!!

Oh and the part about death tells you to talk to the supervisor for details....:undecided Just wanted to let you guys know incase you get it from there. looks like i didn't research enough. i just assumed the filter for fumes would work...i suppose a filter for painting or organics may be better. i really wish there was more info on the uses for certain filters. even in the intructions for the filters it says ask supervisor for details why you can't use around oil & how improper use may lead to death...:undecided i really thought this would be a simple task...put it on and go to work...

i read someone here had bought the one from home depot...how is that working out for you?

kim