How are these done??????

Anyone know how to use a rubber stamp and get an impression on a candle? The owner of this company told me that she can't tell me but if I experiment I can figure it out on my own (smile)....as if I don't experiment enough:rolleyes2

Soooooo thought I would throw it out here. I like the idea of doing a pine tree for where I live.....It is "Pine Tree Central".....Donita Louise

BTW....she said she has made millions of dollars in her business.

http://salsastyleart.com/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my past addictions was leather tooling and those tools will definately work on candles..I'd pull my set out and give it a try but unfortunately my nephew borrowed my tools and hasn't returned them yet:lipsrseal There are a couple different ways it could be done, place the tool on the candle and tap lightly or zap the tool w/heatgun....hummmm

You can stamp a candle with a regular ole stamp but the ink rubs off. You might be able to dip the stamp in candle dye instead..not sure if it would rub off too but maybe overspray with something?? I stamped one for you ...notice the middle star on the right, I pressed too hard and the stamper scratched the candle surface. The stamp is flat and the candle surface is curved so I had to rock the stamp to get the the whole image.

Even though I have no real idea of how this could work, hopefully my rambling will help trigger your creativity:)

Stampedcandle.jpg

Anyone know how to use a rubber stamp and get an impression on a candle? The owner of this company told me that she can't tell me but if I experiment I can figure it out on my own (smile)....as if I don't experiment enough:rolleyes2

Soooooo thought I would throw it out here. I like the idea of doing a pine tree for where I live.....It is "Pine Tree Central".....Donita Louise

BTW....she said she has made millions of dollars in her business.

http://salsastyleart.com/

Some of the trees look like a mold to me. To stamp on wax seems like a thick paint would work. Something that would not run/rub off when dry. I would put this on a rubber stamp forum or contact a few rubber stamp companys about what would work. Rubber stamping perople are pretty clever. One is Hot Potato, I think?, she is full of info.

I was at a stamping convention and this lady did the neatest thing with embossing pw. She has a piece of metal and was heating it really hot, pouring embossing pw and more heat, pw, heat, pw.. till it was thick then she stamped it. The embossing powders she was using were vibrant and metalic. It was so cool... Also saw where they will stamp a piece of furniture sprinkle embossing on and heat. Look like it's painted only better. You can get a really nice gold or silver this way. Not enough time in the day. Gotta go the bead store is calling my name and I have a gift certificate :cheesy2:

Funny you should post this because the other day, I was out in the candle room and came across a rubber stamp that I have and have been pondering on how to stamp the candle to give the candle the look as though I carved the design. I looked at the site you linked. Am I correct to assume that you do not want an "ink" stamp but an actual stamp that will make the shape look as though it was carved in the wax?

Thanks everyone....I can see that I have some homework to do. She sells rubber wax imprints. She is gearing down her business and is selling some of her equipment. I thought if I bought some of her molds that she might share the how to with me.....she did offer other help. Here we go again......experimenting.....and doing some research. I like the idea of having it look like the design is carved into the candle. I won't sleep until I figure this one out. Welllllll maybe a few hours (smile).....Donita Louise

I tried something like that once- I heated rubber stamp with my heat gun and then pressed it into a votive and got a decent impression. It was pretty small though. It would be difficult to do with a larger stamp I would think.

I think it is done with a "hot" metal stamp that is slightly curved for the curve of the candle. I have an old, old branding iron used to brand cattle. Heat it & stamp on livestock. Maybe try heating up a stainless knife or fork & see if makes impression in wax. Sounds interesting. Carole

Have you seen these candles up close and personal? They are beautiful for sure, I'm wondering how much of what we see is the candle and how much is photo editing. And what kind of wax is she using? I don't have a clue really how it's done but as perfect as the imprints seem to be, I'd lean toward Janets idea of a silicone insert. And Janet, I think you're on to something there with your idea. :smiley2:

If it's an insert then you could try an un-mounted rubber stamp. Rub a little mineral oil on the back of the rubber stamp and stick to the inside of the mold where you want it. I'm just not sure if you can get the candle out of the mold or not, but worth a try.

Welp here is my idea. I think it is a silicone piece that is put on the inside of a metal mold. The silicone should stick to the side but since I have not tried it I don't know for sure.

Janet

bingo. that's my impression too. little sticky wax, maybe ry some mold release and see wat comes out. i bought some stuff to try and forgot about it

I ran across a webpage quite a while back that briefly talked about doing imprints after the candle was made, using common household items - hex nuts, cookie cutters - which had been heated. And, while I agree the candles in question are so perfect they were probably molded that way, one of the interesting suggestions on the website was to brush a little dye on whatever you're using to imprint before pressing it into the wax. I always thought that could be a cool effect to play around with.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

I have been looking at all kinds of websites for information.....I think I will try what Candle Man said. This is so stupid because I really don't need to learn how to do this.....but just because I don't know how to do it is driving me nuts. I woke up early this morning and spent two hours in bed going over and over it.....I am tired today.:rolleyes2 Thy DIY network idea looks fun but it isn't what I am looking for. But I may try that one too...just for fun....like I have the time :) It's gardening time and I need to grow flowers to press for my candles. What I really want to know is how do I get more than 24 hours in a day.......that would be the trick....but then if you think about it....your life would just be over sooner....

Kristi, the artist/owner of the company posted this:

I HAVE DEVELOPED MY OWN

TECHNIQUE USING A RUBBER

STAMP TO GET THE TREE

DESIGN. WHAT CAN YOU DO?

bingo. that's my impression too. little sticky wax, maybe ry some mold release and see wat comes out. i bought some stuff to try and forgot about it

I was hoping to get both quotes, but it would be impossible to get the candle out of a metal mold with the silicone piece. (edited: unless that piece came out WITH the candle and you peeled it off afterward?)

There's always the idea of making small shapes to stick ON the candle afterward. A little heat gun, or something like that. You could put them in small molds, or cut them out with a cookie cutter.

I'd love embossed candles, but I'm not into getting a lot fancier than that.

Kelly

WOW -- those are beautiful! I would buy any one of them in a heartbeat. I don't do pillars, so may be way off base, but is it possible the rubber stamp is removed from its wood base & attached to a mold? That would never work w/ a metal mold, but possibly a rubber mold? Just tossing out my 1st thoughts.

Susan.

I was hoping to get both quotes, but it would be impossible to get the candle out of a metal mold with the silicone piece. (edited: unless that piece came out WITH the candle and you peeled it off afterward?)

Kelly

Your edit is the concept. The rubber stamp or whatever is obviously removed from it's wooden base. Guess I've got to try it to see if it works. It's just my thought on how it would work.

I've seen candles like this on another site several months ago and wondered how this was done. I have to think that they are heat stamped. If they are a rubber stamp, I wonder if you can heat up the stamp with a hair dryer. I would think that a heat gun would melt the rubber................Oh, I don't know! But I do love it! Off to find hubby and ask him!:confused:

Your edit is the concept. The rubber stamp or whatever is obviously removed from it's wooden base. Guess I've got to try it to see if it works. It's just my thought on how it would work.

This intrigues me also, but I honestly don't think it is simply the unmounted rubber stamp inserted into the mold. If you could get it out, the removal of the stamp would leave the whole impression of the rubber piece, not just the stamp. Does that make sense? Man, this really bugs me, but there has to be a way!

PamR