How are these done??????

I dunno, the woman sounds a bit shady to me...capitalizing MILLIONS with embossed candles. She'd need to be running a factory. Most times secrets come down to something incredibly simple. I doubt she's a rocket scientist with the formula for uranium enrichment...but she guards her "secret" as if she were!

My sister dabbles in ancient pagan stuff. She makes candles that look just like the ones you posted but with pagan symbolic stamps (celtic swirls and very cool designs). I will try to get a pic of one when I return to the USA, but she told me they are pretty common in her circles. I knew right away when I saw your post with the star as it reminded me of a candle my sister has in her bedroom (that she made). They are called Candle Seals and have been used through history, so not a new thing. My sister said you can get custom designs as one of her friends got one for his wedding ritual. Cool stuff. Check out this site about them:

http://www.capricornslair.com/canstamcanem.html

:tiptoe: Soooo possibly these are her secret:

Good luck! Hope I've helped.

Ilona

PS if she's making millions, a few silicome molds wouldn't break her. And why not just start off with one or two...etc. Sound like she is trying to talk you out of figuring it out...Something is stinky poo poo about this secret business :whistle:

This is exactly what I wrote in my answer.. without knowing candle seals are out there I was calling them iron stamps....:yay:

I think it's the most plausible answer!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Donita......know I want to try something else. They are pretty cool and I am sure that they would sale like crazy where I live. I think that Ilona's candle seals seem like the most resonable idea to me. Looks like I need to find one to order and try it out.

I have a little "D" stamp for sealing wax on envelopes. It you press that in wax....the wax has to "go somewhere" and you won't have a clean design. I did what Alan suggested......got some magnet material and glued it to the rubber stamp. Put in in the mold and I unmolded a little dogwood last night. The cats eye molds I bought from her came yesterday too. First of all I just love the shape and will do some slanted layers. But I did buy a tree and bear stamp and some more magnet material and will play with them. And.....I am a Capricorn. Donita

I bid on a tree stamp on eBay and almost lost it a minute ago....you know how your adrenalin can kick in at that last moment......eeeeeeeeek. But I got it. I would be a terrible gambler. Can't stand the pressure (smile)...Hopefully I will have a cute pine tree candle done soon. Donita

PS....Alan's theory really works.:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

You aren't stupid....just didn't know that magnets don't stick to aluminum. You have to use tin. I have another idea I am trying today....I think it will work....in theory. We shall see. Donita

An efficient way to make the imprints would be to have the image made of iron or steel, as long as it's magnetic (capable of sticking to a magnet) it would work. It would need to be curved of course, for round molds.

You could use either tin or aluminum molds. Just place the metal tree, dragonfly, horse whatever inside the mold, then place a fairly strong magnet on the outside of the mold to hold it in place while you pour and until the candle hardens.

When you take the candle out of the mold just remove the magnet from the outside and the embossing piece (if that's what ye want to call it) just falls right out of the candle once it out of the mold.

These should last for many, many uses and the only real expense would be having them made and shaped in the beginning.

An efficient way to make the imprints would be to have the image made of iron or steel, as long as it's magnetic (capable of sticking to a magnet) it would work. It would need to be curved of course, for round molds.

You could use either tin or aluminum molds. Just place the metal tree, dragonfly, horse whatever inside the mold, then place a fairly strong magnet on the outside of the mold to hold it in place while you pour and until the candle hardens.

When you take the candle out of the mold just remove the magnet from the outside and the embossing piece (if that's what ye want to call it) just falls right out of the candle once it out of the mold.

These should last for many, many uses and the only real expense would be having them made and shaped in the beginning.

This might just work but, you would need the piece curved to match the curve of round molds.

Correct - I stated that in paragraph 1 of my post..." It would need to be curved of course, for round molds."

:smiley2:

As thin as those imprints seem to be, it probably wound'nt be extremely difficult to put the curve into the metal. A good sturdy piece of round stock of the correct diameter and a bit of pressure.

I just unmolded my first experiment.....without using a rubber stamp. I am waiting for the stamps that I ordered to arrive but I just had to figure out something....(smile)....this is a little rough but I now see how I can make it work. I am posting a picture in the gallery. Donita

I just unmolded my first experiment.....without using a rubber stamp. I am waiting for the stamps that I ordered to arrive but I just had to figure out something....(smile)....this is a little rough but I now see how I can make it work. I am posting a picture in the gallery. Donita

In the end can I ask you what did you use? Some metal stamp and a magnet?