Music on a Website

newhobby

Hello All,

I have just one quick question that is driving me crazy. I love nature sounds and I would like the sound on my opening page of my website. The website is in its infancy stage, but nevertheless I would love to have it.

Do anyone know if I would be infringing on the artist if I put a snipit on my website? The song is from Target...their section of nature, jazz, piano etc. You know the section where you can hear just a little of the song before your purchase it :drool:

Vickie/Chicago

I am not sure if you are doing anything wrong. I would suggest you buy the song from some place, just to protect yourself. Nowadays, you can download a song from your company for $0.99. Personally, I think it is worth the dollar in order to protect yourself. Just my opinion. :D

Also, when adding music to your website, make sure it isn't slowing your site down. I am not a fan of going to a site and waiting for awhile just to load up the page to later find out that I am waiting to hear music.

Yep, it's infringing on the artist to swipe even a snippet of a song, picture, etc. But with that said, many artists allow for the use of their artwork on personal and/or business websites. You could try contacting Target and asking for permission to use their music, or for the contact info for the artist they license it from. :)

as a retired web designer I can tell you that most people despise musical sites and may quickly click the back button! Just think.. you're sneaking online at work right next to your bosses cubical... then all of the sudden music or sounds start blasting! oops! BUSTED!

Personally I can't stand music on websites, but if you choose to put just a little very little ans short intro when loading the home page.. and if the music it's calm and quiet maybe it can work.

I don't know what's the law in your country, but here we should pay rights if we play someone else music in a public place. If I have the radio on in my shop and many people listen to it I should pay the rights.

HTH

I have to agree. I'm on a different schedule than everyone else in my house so I'm on the computer most when everyone is sleeping. I hate when I forget to mute the computer and I got to a website that has music and such. Another option is having it where there is a button on the site that allows the user to turn the music on if they want to hear it. HTH

as a retired web designer I can tell you that most people despise musical sites and may quickly click the back button! Just think.. you're sneaking online at work right next to your bosses cubical... then all of the sudden music or sounds start blasting! oops! BUSTED!

This has happened very recently to me, and I feel like such an ass!!! Music on sites is a bad idea!!

I hate it too! Sometimes when I surf, I have my own CD playing in the computer and if I click on a site with noise, I click off fast. I want to listen to my music not someone elses. And ususally the site noise is louder than mine and I get a real shock through my headphones. :shocked2:

I never liked music and after this post like it less.I know now what we candlemakers and our customers think.If it is going to bog down my website NO WAY.Like some of you, if it takes to long to get on a site we move on.We will find something somewhere else.My friend told me mine was easy to navigate.I wondered because on my computer it is good but wondered if she could get the same fast response.Only takes a few seconds and what I like when I browse and shop.

LynnS