How crazy did you get?

I started off slow. First, a 10lb slab of 4794, some votive molds, wicks, a few sample fragrances, dye chips... Then I started dipping critters, so a slab of pillar wax and some more fragrance... And then I bought my first case of wax... And then I tried some containers which led to my first case of jars... and one month I don't quite know what happened, but I suddenly had a new closet built in the basement with shelving for these multiplying fragrance oils and four types of wax...

And then I found out that I had the knack for making bath bombs (or the right recipe with the right humidity, anyway)... And people loved them... And I needed to experiment with different butters and carrier oils and colours... And the collection grew. And if I was going to do bath bombs, well why not CP soap? So, the accumulation of products, and more shelving in the aforementioned closet to keep the kids away from my NaOH... DH made me a wooden soap mold. And then I thought I'd play with M&P (one of my suppliers was having a sale)... Bought a shelving unit for curing soap...

Does it ever end? I'm going to need my own little workshop some day soon!

Michelle

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out thinking I would do a few container candles just to see if I would like to do this...this was at the end of March of this year...NOW...oh boy...I have 2 Presto pots, tart molds out the wazoo, FO's, wicks,wax,etc,etc,etc...

My husband just shakes his head and grins.:grin2: ..my laundry room barely resembles a laundry room...he put in 4 overhead shelves, a 4 rack metal shelf...I conficated his heat gun and some of his tools.:P ..

Welcome to the group:yay:

Wow! Good company!

My newfound hobby is borderlining obsession and I LOVE it! What a great challenge to find the perfect mixture of wax, wicks and scent! I created an "example" brochure for my fanatsy business and have sold 4 candles! Gotta buy more wax. Gotta buy more molds!! More scents! Soap bases! Packaging! If only one day, my scratch and lose lottery ticket would go the other direction, and if only these floors would sweep themselves!:grin2:

scuse me while I melt something!

• 4 weeks later...

Deanna....you are in trouble already....just wait until you buy a truckload of wax. I started with two pounds of paraffin from Safeway. Then one slab, then two slabs, then a case....then cases....then more cases....I've been doing this for 11 years and there are still many many more things I want to try....that is why I am here....I keep getting new ideas and learning. Welcome to the nut house. Most of the time we have fun. If you stick around you will see. There are a lot of very talented people here with years of knowledge and our archives are filled with valuable information. It takes time to sort through it but it is worth it. I still do it. Not only is this my job, but I still love it.......and all of my money goes for more wax and fragrance oils....all of it....lol...Donita

When I die, I'm taking it all with me. It was my money to spend as needed, my kids went without food for me to afford this addiction and I don't want someone else having all the fun while I'm laying around dead, doing nothing. It just gets in your body like a disease and takes over.But ain't it great!!!:yay: When we die they can use FO instead of imbalming(sp?) fluid.

I try to contain myself as much as possble. I only allow myself to purchase 75.00 worth of supplies every pay period (twice a month) maybe more when commission comes in :wink2:

I try to master on thing at a time. I am new at candle making as well. I started with containers. That is what i am testing now. I want to get my formulas and such 100 % right before I move on to votives and tarts etc...

If I try to concentrate on too much at one time I feel like im not giving 100% to each thing.

Welcome to the forum. this place is as addicting as candle making itself!

When I die, I'm taking it all with me. It was my money to spend as needed, my kids went without food for me to afford this addiction and I don't want someone else having all the fun while I'm laying around dead, doing nothing. It just gets in your body like a disease and takes over.But ain't it great!!!:yay: When we die they can use FO instead of imbalming(sp?) fluid.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Crazy you say? I STILL get up in the middle of the night just so I can pour something. I get that itch quite a bit. At least once a week I am up @ 4 a.m. pouring to my hearts content. I went on vacation a while back, and I seriously had pouring withdrawls. At least I can say I love my job lol!!

• 6 months later...

Ok, here is my first official post.

I got my husband interested in it BEFORE I bought out a lady that sold her candle business. He has been a real help with all the figuring and the frustrations. We have a really nice "shop" area set up in the basement and we both work at the same time with our "own" inventions. One thing that I found that helps is to have the radio on low and with soft music. Sounds dumb but...with our full time day jobs (HIGHLY STRESSFUL) this calms us down in the mind.

He is handling the design of my logo and building my display case along with coming up with great ideas.

YES, I am still buying more and more, but I realize that I am at the point now where I MUST use up what I have.

Somehow, belive me it was somehow, I concocked a blend of FO's that are soon to be my signature scent called "Tattered Silk". It was pure luck.

I am fortunate that I have my hubby by my side with my passion.

Tattered Silk

Ditto to all above - I don't think it never stops. I have so many fo until I really don't know what I have any more. Put it up and forget where I put it and then order more, and then repeat same again. I just ordered 6-7 new scents from AH that I didn't need. So much good stuff about them I had to give them a try. I not made them yet but oob they smell great. Gotta try a few more everybody raves about. So the addition goes on and on

What do you mean "How crazy did you get". Did implies I'm passed it! You should have asked "How crazy ARE you?", then I could respond. :)

I've got about 30-40 1oz samples at home that need to be tested yet. So many smells not enough days. I keep forgetting that all the testers need 25 hours or more to actually be tested. Sigh, that reminds me, I should order some new scents!

Edited to Add: Oh wait I forgot I just received 30 more 1oz FO's yesterday. Ok so I have like 60-70 scents to test. I may actually have a problem.

~Kelly~ :D

Someone else mentioned it, but I have decided to stick with containers and clamshells, and just make some odds and ends for myself. However, my New Years Resolution is to quit buying every scent I come across (and that is going to be TOUGH) and decide on carrying a set amount of FO for inventory, with a few seasonals. This holiday I am up to my eyeballs in dipped bears, why oh WHY did I do the first one? lol But those lil things are helping me recoup some of the outragous amount of money I have spent this year.

My name is Shelley, and I am a candle making addict :D

I am a very new candle maker (or candle tryer, at any rate) and I think I may be getting obsessed! I have spent too much money already but I can't seem to stop, I NEED every new scent I see, they all sound irrestible. Then I need to try wicks, and dyes, and I need a ton of wax, and molds and tealight cups and pots and thermometers and jars and God knows what else! Did you all go through the same thing? When does the obsession tame into a healthy, normal hobby... lol. If it's not soon, I may need to apply for more credit cards...j/k!

I'm still pretty new at this too. I've only been doing it for a year and a half. I have spent more money than I can ever hope to make. I feel like I need to give it to people so they can give me opinions. (they all say my candles kick butt but I've got this confidence issue. lol.)

I've decided to stick to only ten fragrances until I start selling a lot. I wrote down all of the different catagories of fragrances and chose one or to FO's for each. That way I have something for everyone but am no longer going over board buying FO's.

Oh WOW! I feel better to see I'm not the only one who spends so much, I ask my DH how much do I spend? hihihihihih:embarasse he said about $50 or $60 a month, he has no idea, hahahahaha poor baby!

The other day we went to get some wax, he got crazy putting things in the basket, when "HE" got the total, I almost fainted, he said he wanted to cheer me up, since I had a dificult week at work. I must remember to get sad more often:o

If this is not healthy, please let me be, I'll die happy.

Thank you for sharing, you made me feel more confortable (is that the right spelling?) you know, relax about my addiction.:wink2:

Zonia

I wrote down all of the different catagories of fragrances and chose one or to FO's for each. That way I have something for everyone but am no longer going over board buying FO's.

Hahah... I tried that... then looked at my 'spread' and thought... well, this category needs one more... and this one... and this one... and I really think this one should be in there... and this one.... might as well do this one, too.... :laugh2:

And I thought it was just me:cheesy2: I have more fo samples than I can test at one time, different wicks, molds, etc. It is so easy to to overboard with scents, there are just so many:), but as time goes on, I'm more selective as to what and when I order:)

I have probably spent $600.00 in 2 months! Having a second job has helped ALOT!!! The FO's are addicting! Had to buy a scale, and certain initial things that I can use for a while. I got the stick blender finally, to try HP soap...

Shipping fees add up too. But, I love it as a hobby!!!:D