How crazy did you get?

wow if it weren't for hubby i would prob be mortgaging the house to supply myself lol... its like a drug addiction. wonder if i can pimp my hubby out (any takers?). lol no but seriously he keeps me in check i pretty much have to explain why i need what wax usually isn't a problem but the FO's he looks at me and if its not a scent i've already used he does his do you need it will anyone buy it whats it for like he's not gonna let me buy 16oz of pumpkin pie when there's a week left in december.. smart man. he's the money maker i'm the stay at home and slave over the house one so he's gotta rein me in every once in a while. i actually sat down and figured out what i've spent / what i've made over the last couple of months and i don't think i've done to bad i'v only spent about $300 and i've made about $60.. so not bad in two months. thank god for my mom selling my stuff at work

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't take the time to add up your receipts or you may permanently freak out:p Mine are very neatly packed away out of my sight.

Okay, I said this for a reason:embarasse I found 5 cases of 26 oz Elevation jars in my shed that I had completely forgotten about so I brought in a few to test wicks and needed to figure my cost in case I decide to sell any. That meant having to pull out several years worth of receipts to find out how much I paid for the jars. Since I was thinking the purchase was made a min. of 2 yrs. ago ( got a kickin price on em by the way ) I went back to 2003, so flippin through the yearly receipts bout gave me a heart attack!!!!!!

My first thought was, man I need to get rid of these things. If I die and my kids go through my stuff and see how much money I have spent on my hobby they will think I was beyond nuts! I didn't look at 2005 and 2006 and they include B&B stuff so it's gotta be way worse. :embarasse I feel like Scarlett Ohara when she says " I'll think about it tomorrow"

Last night I opened the back door to let the cat in and there was a box. I was wondering who would be sending me this package. Well, I forgot, I placed a FO order around 1:30 am several nights ago and there they were. Dang! Already loosing track!

When my hubby got home he saw them on the table and said "more?" I told him that I forgot I ordered them but they were for making those candles that were "TYPE" fragrances. Never another word from him after that.

Whew, I have got to STOP this madness.

Tattered Silk

One can get real carried away in this.. it is fun. Find local supplier for wax/jars to help reduce shipping charges. When starting, get fo's from places like JS that gives you free samples. You will get plenty of samples that when you sniff them, you have no desire to put them in wax. Helps if you have not had to pay for them. When you test and figure out what you want, sell the extra in the classifieds to somebody else that may be new and trying to test out some things.

I know my first year making candles I spent well over 2k in supplies. I have put myself on a leash now....a long one but still restrained lol. Now I let myself spend about $50 a month from my day job and 1/3 of my candle sales on supplies. And here I thought I was the only one that went nuts starting out...Maybe we should start a chandlers anonymous after all lol.

Dem

• 1 year later...

Too funny reading all the responses. I have gone crazy in last month or so-but not adding it up-joining all the co-ops and buying scents on my own!! But once get enough can work for a few months and not buy more supplies-right??

if we go to rehab--think they will let us make soaps and candles while there?

Okay, Kerazeeee here too....if only slightly different than most who have posted. I really got into the addiction when there wasnt a lot of money to spend. So I hunted bargains--dollar stores, liquidation stores, secondhand stores........not too much in regular candle supplies----but every once in awhile---a great price on big 3 wick candles that someone had and burned once-----okay---I remelt----never know what the wax is going to be like until I actually make it into a pillar---but it's what I do.................................................................wick centering is a whole new ball game, molds too-----so many possibilites----it's just that it's not what they are sold for........ and my clothes closet isnt for clothes any more------I keep telling myself to stop making candles so that I can burn what I have already made.........and since it takes me about 2 weeks to burn one of my 3" X 9" pillars---thats a whole 2 weeks without making another candle?------- yah right!

I started out like that but really had to narrow things down and tighten the belt because it's a very expensive 'hobby' otherwise. Now, I sell to a few wholesale accounts and that helps buy wax and new FO's. That's my main issue- I see a cool FO i want to try and get a sample... get addicted to it. Blah.. lol. Ask me how many 1 oz sample bottles i have! LOL...

And now i have the soap and B&B bug. Blah. Luckily most of the oils are available locally.

Okay.....last year, my first year doing this, I couldn't tell you how much I spent but so far this year since the beggining of the year I am at

*faint* *faint* *faint* *faint* *faint*

I keep opening up Quick Books and looking around my supply storage room and wondering...Now what in here cost a thousand bucks????

I have to admit I am a FO HO :drool: I started making tarts about a year and a half ago. Then I went to wickless. Now I am making oils for oil warmers. I am allways looking to try different FO'S. But I finally got smart and this year I have been mixing different scent combos to come up with some different scents. I have so many 1oz bottles and 4 oz bottles and 16 oz bottles you could stock a whole supply room :embarasse I also have a large stock of candle jars,wax and wicks. Hubby says any more and I'll need a bigger house. Regina :D

I'm doing better so far this year.... but last year scared me. I bought a lot in bulk to get good prices. Suffice to say my downstairs is a maze! :embarasse

I have two shows to prep for -- after those are done I'll look at cleaning out the shop..... :D

It's really bad when you keep buying FO's and you haven't even poured samples of all the ones you already have. :shocked2: