GW 464 Test Results Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my latest candle using the 464...It came out near perfect! I poured at 150 this time (prev 135) and used the Evo color instead of the dye flakes/chips. I am very happy this time...no frosting whatsoever and no lumpiness. Woohoo!

post-3084-139458397663_thumb.jpg

Here is my latest candle using the 464...It came out near perfect! I poured at 150 this time (prev 135) and used the Evo color instead of the dye flakes/chips. I am very happy this time...no frosting whatsoever and no lumpiness. Woohoo!

That is a very fine looking candle there! I would burn it at the Geekplex :grin2:

geek

Are you getting any sort of 'shrooming at all with the 1312, and are you getting a full MP?

your geek

No I have not experianced the mushromming on the HTPs,,and yes I am getting a full MP,,:D There is no soot on the jar,,I noticed the pic I took was in front of my black dell computer,,LOL,,,Sorry about that,,will try to get a better one done!!!

post-437-13945839768_thumb.jpg

post-437-139458397681_thumb.jpg

Update on 7 of my 11 464 testers. First off want to say, the hot throw is GREAT!...no cure time either, except for overnight. Secondly, I love the way the 464 burns from the wick out; across the top, instead of from the wick down, and then out like my present wax. Did that make any sense to ya all? :D

All these are 3" diameter tumblers with no color:

1. Baby Powder fo: 62-52 cotton, 4.75 hour burn, -1/4" meltpool. Hardly any mushroom.

2. Grandma's Pumpkin Log fo: 62-52 cotton, 4.75 hour burn, 1/8" meltpool. Again, hardly any mushroom.

3. Cran Apple fo: 60-44 cotton, 4.75 hour burn, 1/8" meltpool. A little mushroom.

4. Sweet Pea fo: 60-44 cotton, 4.75 hour burn, -1/4" meltpool. A bit of a mushroom. NOTE: I get a mushroom on any wick I use with this fragrance...go figure, but the cotton seems to be doing alot better than other wicks I have tried.

5. Orange Spice fo: 62-52 cotton (I was able to wick down from an HTP1212 with the 464), 4.75 hour burn, 1/4" meltpool. A trace of a mushroom.

6. Love Spell fo: 60-44 cotton, 4.75 hour burn, 1/4" meltpool. No mushroom.

7. Patchouli fo (my pain in the A_ _ fo): HTP1212, 4.75 hour burn...had about a 1/4" rim of wax left on jar, and wick fizzled out. I had wicked down on this; HOPING! :undecided Will try a different wick tomorrow.

Well there is my update for today...more forthcoming!

Pour between 125-135.

It is 98% soy 2% universal soy additive

Anyone who adds this additive to their wax will love this product. It takes the mixing and blending out of candle making.

It has a melt point of 113-121. If any of you have used the 402 you will want to use the same wick on this wax.

did you happen to get my messages? just checking... if not will resend

I power burned my AJP tester for 7 1/2 hours, and it came out with great flame size, 1/2" MP and very good throw. Some of the frosting has minimized. The weird thing is that the top is very soft and appears to have underlying frost. Anyone else have this?

post-116-139458397706_thumb.jpg

I'd have to say, that mine are setting up very smooth, some w/a little bit of frosting.

I am testing one now w/a scent that has had a poor throw in the past-- just to see if this wax helps.. I'm still finding that I can wick down, even w/9% FO.(lighter oils)

I power burned my AJP tester for 7 1/2 hours, and it came out with great flame size, 1/2" MP and very good throw. Some of the frosting has minimized. The weird thing is that the top is very soft and appears to have underlying frost. Anyone else have this?

I received and poured my 464 yesterday and YES my tops look the same as yours only it was when it set up, I haven't popped any wicks in yet to burn it. This is my first attempt at soy and I think I failed miserably pouring it. I heated to 175 added 8% Christmas Cheer from BCN with a combo of red and brown liquid dyes. Poured at 150 and at first I thought I had a great looking candle. But once completely cooled I have the rough, frosted top with frost happening on the sides. I tried hitting with a heat gun a couple times and the lumpy, rough, frosty top and sides come back :(

Cold throw smells great but it looks very bad to me.

I received and poured my 464 yesterday and YES my tops look the same as yours only it was when it set up, I haven't popped any wicks in yet to burn it. This is my first attempt at soy and I think I failed miserably pouring it. I heated to 175 added 8% Christmas Cheer from BCN with a combo of red and brown liquid dyes. Poured at 150 and at first I thought I had a great looking candle. But once completely cooled I have the rough, frosted top with frost happening on the sides. I tried hitting with a heat gun a couple times and the lumpy, rough, frosty top and sides come back :(

Try this: Heat to 185, add dye if you color them, then add FO at 175, cool and pour at 135. I did this, and got very nice firm flat top with ony two small patches of frosting. The soft tops only came after I burned, and the frosting increased after a few days curing time. It has subsided in some areas and increased on the top somewhat. I'm not that concerned about the frosting since I don't plan on coloring my plain soy candles anything other than maybe with white color block. Also I have noticed that I can wick down compared to 415/BW.

geek

Try this: Heat to 185, add dye if you color them, then add FO at 175, cool and pour at 135. I did this, and got very nice firm flat top with ony two small patches of frosting. The soft tops only came after I burned, and the frosting increased after a few days curing time. It has subsided in some areas and increased on the top somewhat. I'm not that concerned about the frosting since I don't plan on coloring my plain soy candles anything other than maybe with white color block. Also I have noticed that I can wick down compared to 415/BW.

geek

I'll try your suggestions and let you know how this journey thru "soy world" goes for me. :D Thanks!

To throw another option into the ring: I got the best results (smooth top, very tiny bit of frosting on the bottom, no wet spots) when I heated to 180, added FO, then poured at 170 and cooled very slowly in a warm oven.

BURN UPDATE: I'm finding the ECO wicks are working very well. I'm getting a good throw and melt pool in my 3 1/2" hourglass jars.

Here is what I have done so far...

Candle #1 heated to 180 and added 2 drops color. cooled a little added Peaks cuc melon .4 in 7.2oz's wax and Poured into room temp 9oz hex jars at 125-130. I am testing a HTP105 in this candle.

Candle #2 heated to 180 and added 2 drops purple color. Cooled a little added Peaks Fresh Linen at .4 in 7.1oz wax and poured into room temp jars (house is about 70 degrees) 9oz hex jar and i am testing an ECO 8 in this one.

BOTH look GREAT!! No frosting yet (they were poured early this moning) and they set up smooth!! So far I love the look!!

I just let them cool naturally on the counter the way I do all my candles.

I will light them in the morning in seperate rooms and see how they do.

patricia

PS Thanks Jason for the sample!!

UPDATE: Both are burning wonderful. Both have awesome scent throw. I am most likely going to use this wax after all the other is used up.

So far I've only poured two candles but I'm very pleased with the results.

Both candles 9 oz. Metro Jars, Heated to 180*

Candle 1. Added 2 Peak's Bayberry dye chips & 10% Bayberry FO at 175*, ECO 10 wick, poured at 155*. Top set up beautifully with one pour, slight frosting in a couple of spots. Cold throw good but hot throw not so great. I haven't been able to get a good hot throw with Bayberry FO with any wax - Suggestions anyone or is this typical? :undecided MP was perfect, no mushroom, dye not affected during burn - no frosting, etc.

Candle 2. Added 10% White Tea FO at 175*, poured at 150*, no dye, ECO 10 wick. Top set up nice and smooth, slight frosting on sides and about 1/2" up from the bottom. MP perfect at 3 hr. burn, cold and hot throws are awesome, no shroom.

I LIKE THIS WAX ALOT!!! :grin2:

This is my first post with pics. Hope this works!

J.S. Dream sickle 8.5%. Heated 180^ added F/O 175^ and poured at 145^ colored w/color block orange.

J.S. Hyacinth Chula Orchid 8.5%. Heated to 180^ added F/O 175^ and poured 135^ colored w/color block violet.

Containers: 10 oz. hurricane, 3 oz. flower pot votive and tarts.

Forgot to add: Cold throw with both scents is very good. I'll give a couple days to cure and burn.

Dream Sickle: Set up real nice. Touch of frosting on hurricane side, none on top. No frosting on flower pot. Tarts are smooth on top, but frosting on bottom.

Hyacinth Chula Orchid: Hurricane set up real rough on top. Frosting on top and sides. Flower Pot top bumpy. Tarts are very frosted.

Edit:

Since the Hyacinth top looked so bad, I hit it with the heat gun for 20-30 seconds and it looks smoother, but seems to be oozing a bit and I did find a few air bubbles.

post-2343-13945839806_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398063_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398065_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398067_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398069_thumb.jpg

Thank you Geek.

I usually make a few tarts with each batch of wax just to see how the wax/scent throws without wick burning. I only make these for myself for testing purposes. I usually have to freeze them for a few minutes and they pop out.

I shrink wrap them and test after they have cured for a few days.