GW 464 Test Results Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pour between 125-135.

It is 98% soy 2% universal soy additive

Anyone who adds this additive to their wax will love this product. It takes the mixing and blending out of candle making.

It has a melt point of 113-121. If any of you have used the 402 you will want to use the same wick on this wax.

Marilyn and CarolP said they got theirs today, and I suspect there will be a box on my porch tonight due to my close proximity to luvull :laugh2:

geek

Extra! I got my wax! :grin2: I have to get up early and make a candle before my therapy appointment tomorrow :tongue2:

Looks like some of us have received new samples of the 464 from Jason already! I expect to see some today also. Let's see what this wax can do!

geek :grin2:

Dang, if I don't get mine tomorrow, I'll have to wait 'til next week :(.

I really like the throw I got w/the 402

Got up early and mixed up this concoction. 7% load of Peak's Bayberry, no color, 1/2 tsp/lb UV inhibitor. Heated to 185*, added FO at 175*, stirred gently with metal butter knife intermittently till 135* then poured into 16 oz keepsake jar slightly preheated to take away the chill. Placed box over jar to help slow cooling down. Poured candle at 7:00AM and it was cooled completely at 11:00AM. Top is nice and flat with very slight texturing, but very appealing look for a single pour! Adhesion is pretty good, with only a few very small spots where it is pulling away. Check it out:

post-116-139458396639_thumb.jpg

Looks nice! I cant send pictures but mine looked like that. I like this wax, but I did get frosting. I tried my worse one, Cinnamon Red Hot, powdered red dye, and poured at 125 in jelly jar. The room was suppose to be my warmest but the heater wasn't on.....The top was nice and smooth but I did get frosting on that one. The next one I poured the same thing only got distracted and ended up pouring at 110! It had tiny bit of frosting on the very botton and the top was just a little bit rough. I poured another Vanilla of Pearl, used a little powdered blue, at 125. That one is almost perfect. I'm going to try pouring at 135 today, and trying again with the heater on in the room!! This wax is even better than the others!

Just double checking: the other 2% is soy additive, nothing to do with paraffin added, right? I can say my candles are 100% soy wax, as far as the wax goes? OK, confusing myself here! The additive isn't soy based? Just something added to aid the wax? The dye and the FO are also added to "aid" the wax (to become a candle!) Am I making any sense???

This is a soy based additive. It has nothing to do with par$#fin. The additive itself is derived from soy, it is not soy anymore, but it starts off as soy and is food grade. It is used on the food side as a binding agent. It just so happens that it works great in candles.

jason

Yes you are making sense.

I can't post pictures I heated to 180 added scent at 175 stirred 3 minutes

poured at 130. Made in 22oz apothecary I did'nt preheat jar I do not see any wet spots perfectly smooth top. Forgot to say I added dye flakes. Looks real good.

I made a couple more. In jelly jars, the usual way; I added Vanilla of Pearl FO with 2 drops of liquid blue dye. I used soy-based liquid dye this time instead of powdered. I poured one at 135*, turned out great!! Smooth top, nice appearance! I poured the other at 110* again just to see. It had a little bit of rough top again but everything else looked good. This wax is really looking good! Cold throw is good already. Can't wait till tomorrow to burn the first ones I did!

Just made 2 8oz JJ.

Did anyone else's wax sound like pop-rocks when heating??

Mine crackled??

Thought maybe I had water in my presto, so the second batch I warmed up a different presto, then added wax..

Still crackled.. Am I losing it....:eek:

ETS... I'm not going crazy...Just heated a pound of wax, and as the wax got hotter..it bubbled and popped a bit.. (Reminds me of oil in a skillet heating up) -

Just a bit different than what I am used to..

Can't wait to test these bad boys!!

:wink2: WOW!!! WOW!!! and WOW!!!! :wink2:

Set up- this wax set up beautifully!! Definitely a one pour wax so far.

All the candles tops are smooth and I would not even have to take a heat gun to them

to smooth out.

Wet spots.. Jar 2 had one small one...but no big deal...

Frosting- As far as I can tell... none.. I do not dye my candles so no big deal for me..

Cold Throw - OMG is out of this world!!!!

Hot Throw- will wait till tomorrow to test (24 hours to cure)

I added the FO at 175-180 on all candles.

8oz-JJ Jar 1 - 8% FO poured at 150 (Raspberry)

8oz-JJ Jar 2 - 8% FO poured at 160 (Blueberry Muffin)

16oz-JJ-Jar 3- 8.55% FO poured at 170 (Sweat Tarts)

post-630-139458396675_thumb.jpg

Those look great Islandgirl - thanks for posting them! Just got my wax yesterday so I'll be pouring some tonight. Has anyone had any sinkholes or air pockets with this wax so far? That was the biggest problem I had with the 444 - hidden air pockets.

Those look great Islandgirl - thanks for posting them! Just got my wax yesterday so I'll be pouring some tonight. Has anyone had any sinkholes or air pockets with this wax so far? That was the biggest problem I had with the 444 - hidden air pockets.

Just took a knife and poked all throughout the candle and it is nice and solid all the way through! Other waxes would be solid around the perimeter but soft and spongy in the middle, or have sinkholes, but not this wax! I'm going to assume the cold throw is very good, since I have a bad case of candlenose right now. I can smell the Bayberry, but it's not real strong. Mrs geek says it is real strong! So I'l take her word for it.

So far I am really liking this wax! Hopefully Jason can convince Millcreek or Candlemaker's Store to carry it, depending on the feedback we provide. But it appears we like it pretty well!

Now to burn this one and pour another to see how it accepts color.

geek