GW 464 Test Results Thread

Also, what about the black soot from paraffin? I experienced that before I became interested in candlemaking. There were several items such as white shades that I had to replace plus it left a grayish film on the walls. That does not happen with soy. What causes that in the paraffin candles?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But wasn't that study conducted independently by a state university, I forget which one?
It's debatable. Iowa State has an agricultural college and Cargill is a big benefactor. Soy wax was an opportunity for agribusiness and food companies to get in on the candle market. And you can't really conduct the study without some influence from the people who invented the product.

That's one way of speculating on how the study might have been compromised, but for some reason or other it seems to have been. They didn't conduct the experiment with due regard to the candlemaking art and ignored basic considerations that anyone here knows. However, there is one sentence in the study indicating that they understood the implications of wick size and experimented with different sizes. What they did and what the results were is unknown. The part of the study that is described is clearly flawed to the extent that you can't conclude anything from it unless maybe you're a non-chandler working at the patent office.

Imagine this. You fill one tumbler with soy wax and wick it with ECO 8. You fill another with a straight low-melt paraffin that might reasonably take an ECO 2 but you put the same ECO 8 in there. That's the experiment to prove that paraffin smokes like a chimney and burns way faster than vegetable wax.

Regarding your personal experience with soot...a lot of bad candles are made. Since most candles are made with paraffin, a lot of bad paraffin candles are made. There is a good point here though that it can be easier to make a bad candle with a paraffin container blend. They bend over backwards and break all the rules to get those one-pours to perform. Products like Comfort Blend have shocking amounts of microcrystalline wax in them and are very hard to burn. Try to single wick a container over 3 inches with that and you might have a dirty candle.

That doesn't mean petroleum products will do any harm in a paraveggie blend. Like I said, we have the potential of the "best of both worlds" with those.

What I like so much about this wax is everything (so far)!

geek

Me Too!!!

The cold throw is phenomenal!! Which is nice because all the other veggie/soy mixes I have tested have been lacking in the cold throw.

The hot throw is wonderful too!!

FMP with no hang up after a 3 hour burn!!

2ND Burn was perfect too!!! No soot, FMP and tops looked smooth when extinguished.

I am very happy with the results of this wax and can't wait to do further testing!!!!:grin2:

FMP with no hang up after a 3 hour burn!!

2ND Burn was perfect too!!! No soot, FMP and tops looked smooth when extinguished.

Is this in the mason jars? Can I ask what type and size wick you used - just looking for a starting point. I'd planned to pour my sample this weekend then got too busy. :tongue2:

Is this in the mason jars? Can I ask what type and size wick you used - just looking for a starting point. I'd planned to pour my sample this weekend then got too busy. :tongue2:

I tried:

cd 14 for the 8oz tapered JJ (cd 12 could probably do the job)

cd 20 for the 16oz Jar seemed to do the job well.

HTH

Finally got the chance to pour one today....and oh how beautifully smooth it looks!! I colored NavyBlue--wanted to test a med dark color. Scented 6+% Midnight Suede.

AND--the cold throw is knocking my socks off!!

Can't wait to burn this baby tomorrow, 'cause I'll be good and wait at least 24hrs...lol.

I decided to wick the AJP jar with a single HTP126. This goes against what I have done before with double wicking, but since the 464 has a lower MP, I thought I'd give it a go.

After a 3 1/2 hr burn in a non-drafty room, I got a very thin hangup and virtually a full MP with a very good hot throw! Only a very small mushroom considering the heavy coloring and the FO itself. The MP seemed a little deep so I'll burn it a couple more times and measure the depth more accurately, and possibly try wicking down.

I'm also getting a few more small spots of frosting but still looks good mostly.

geek :grin2:

3 1/2 hour burn. MP almost all the way across, just a very thin hangup. HTP126 has a mushroom. Lots of frosting along the bottom edge of the MP. Top set up looking like scar tissue and had frosting on it. Smells great though! Still good cold throw. If frosting is unavoidable I would still use this without color, or use white color block.

post-116-139458397068_thumb.jpg

well...I'm burning mine now. Will let you know how it goes. Was a little sad this morning, when I found a couple of small frosted spots-- on towards the top, and one at the bottom

:(.

one thing I did love was that there are NO WETSPOTS!! Perfect adhesion all the way through.

Cold throw is still incredible!!

1hr later--OMG, I have the biggest shroom I've ever seen, and a total meltpool that is over 1/4" deep!!

Guess I should put her out and wick down .

OKAY----HELP NOW!!!!

I put it out and let it set up...nice and smooth. Then decided to re-lite it, and OH NO....the wick now looks like it's drowning!!

Okay I got my sample and have poured one candle. Heated my wax to 185 added dye(vanilla color block) added french vanilla at 175 let cool poured at 135. Oh guess I should of said I used 6oz wax and a roly poly jar. Cooled under cardboard box. I got a nice smooth top and minimal frosting just on the top. Great adhesion, and cold scent throw. So now I am just waiting to burn and make some more candles in other containers.

This is nice wax..I have to say that if my testing continues like this, I will certainly try to find this to purchase.

I'm burning this wax now. Spiced Cranberry fo, liquid dye, no frosting. Poured in a votive glass at 110* with a LX 12 wick. Been burning for about two hrs with a 1/2" melt pool. Let you know what it looks like after cooling tomorrow. Also poured a square mason at 125*, it had some frosting where the neck tapers in. Used a CD 14 on it so I might have wicked too hot. Poured some tarts and they all look pretty good smooth but some frosting on them.

The votive cooled with rough flacky tops but no white line. Looks good to me. Will burn again tonight.

Sheri, did you trim the mushroom? Maybe you trimmed the wick too short. I have found the same thing happens to me if I trim the wick. Then I would put in another similar wick leaving it longer, and it acts like the original one did before trimming. :)

OK, I am going to attempt to send some pictures of my test results. I only have a webcam so I hope that everyone can see them. I poured two candles in 8 oz jelly jars. I heated the wax to 175 and added the fragrance oil at that temperature. Candle # 1 I added 8% peaks Clean Cotton, and Candle # 2 I added 8% Lonestars Amish Harvest. I stirred and cooled to 135 degrees and poured. Both candles set up with pretty smooth tops. Both candles have GREAT cold throw. I am going to wait a couple of days and then test burn them to try and see how the hot throw is. I'll update when I have the results of the test burns. UPDATE: I have been test burning both candles and so far they are burning well. I have a good melt pool with no soot and NO hangup. I was able to wick this wax easier than the 444, which I have been having a problem wicking in my jars. The hot throw on the Amish Harvest is awesome. The hot throw on the Clean cotton is not as strong as I would like, but I am unsure if it is the fragrance oil or the wax since I haven't used this particular fragrance in the past. OH, and there were NO wet spots and no frosting.

46410ml.jpg

464amishharvest3xn.jpg

464cleancotton9uz.jpg

Okay,,I hope these pics look alright,,I heated the wax up to 180 degrees,,,added my white powder for color,,,added 1.5 FO strawberry Passion,,I poured @ 135 degrees and I absolutely LOVE the results!!! Great adhesion to the glass,,,very creamy!!!! I have not put wicks in as I wanna test some. Put them in a box and covered them to cool slowly. edited to add: AWESOME cold throw!!!! Jason will Gateway carry this?? I want more,,,

edited to add: I had No frosting,,I beleive it is how I cooled it down in a box and covered till the morning....Edited to Add: Found that the HTP 1312 wick works very well with a 16oz wide mouth kerr jar.

post-437-139458397082_thumb.jpg

post-437-139458397083_thumb.jpg

post-437-139458397084_thumb.jpg

Sheri, did you trim the mushroom? Maybe you trimmed the wick too short. I have found the same thing happens to me if I trim the wick. Then I would put in another similar wick leaving it longer, and it acts like the original one did before trimming. :)

As a matter of fact, I did trim it. I'll try and relite it and pour some wax off, before I go trying a different wick.

OH---AND the 2nd one I poured had quite a bit of frosting :shocked2:....same "ingredients" as the first one

I made 2 candles yesterday. Room temp was about 80 & I didn't use wicks. The first one I heated to 175 and added 9% Raspberry FO. I poured at 137 and I got a hole in the top - just off to the side of where the wick would have been. When I hit it with the heat gun no extra air bubbles came up. The second one I heated to 170 and added 5% Wild Mountain Berry FO. I poured at 125 and the top was nice and smooth. Tried to post pics but it didn't work. Cold throw is good. No wet spots on the Wild Mountain Berry, but lots of wet spots on the Raspberry. Will try and burn today or tomorrow and see what happens.