GW 464 Test Results Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wish I could post pics

:cry2::cry2:.

#1 test...2 -40z dodec. colored navy w/ 6% FO.

1- RRD34..great cold & hot throw. melt pool

reached 3/4" deep. power burned, lasted 4 days

1-RRD29...great cold throw, not as good hot throw.

melt pool reached almost 1/2" deep. power burned, lasted

6 days. very slight film left on sides.

WHICH WICK WOULD YOU USE???...oh BTW- both set up very smooth, w/almost no frosting at all, and no wet spots.

#2 test... I'm getting ready to burn it now. 4 oz jj. colored mauve w/ 9% FO, and wicked down a size to see if this ones burns. but 3/4 of it was one big wet spot, although it set up perfectly smooth.

okay....#2 test is burning perfectly!!!!! I'm gonna test one more, but I'm finding that you CAN wick down a size, so far anyway...lol

HI Everyone,,Thought I would do a 16oz wide mouth kerr jar with some color. I used 1 red ruby dye Chip(wanted to see how a dye chip would work in this wax) and 1.5 oz Rose Bouquet from Peaks,,poured @ 135, covered it up to cool off and this is what I have,,,No Frosting and I didnt add anything except dye and FO, the cold throw on this is AWESOME!!!,,,I am not impressed with the 700 premier series wicks but I have a W1-798 in this candle to try out. Will update as we go,,,:D Edited to Update,,,,

Started to burn this candle and OMG,, the Hot throw is so awesome!!! I couldnt believe it,,Finally a great Soy wax I can use,,WOOHOO

post-437-139458397496_thumb.jpg

post-437-139458397497_thumb.jpg

Nice job Breanna. I think that's the first candle made with this wax that doesn't make me wonder what all the hoopla is about. It really came out perfect.

Thank you Alex!!! I am very happy with this wax,,burns clean (tested my first ones, had absolutly no soot on the jar) no re-pour and it will make my Soy loving customers Happy,,,:D

Good to see ya!!!;)

Poured 3/29 room temperature 70 degrees very humid. I heated to 185 poured using 8% Pomegranate FO 175 and poured into 9 oz balmoral using a HTP 83 wick at 150 degrees. Didn't get a smooth top but heatgun took care of it. Great adhesion to jar...no wet spots.... great cold throw & awesome hot throw!!!! I am going to pour another 9 oz balmoral tomorrow using a RRD 55 and color.

Last night I heated the wax to about 185, added blue color flakes and scent @ 175. Poured @ about 135. It cooled overnight (room temp approx 72). It got a tiny bit of frosting but basically a fairly smooth top (much better than the 435 I had just tried). Put an Eco 10 in it tonight (8oz tin) and have been burning for about 2.5 hours. Almost have a full melt pool. Cold throw was great and hot throw seems farily strong (after only 1 day of curing).

Finally got around to pouring my 464 sample last night. I used 2 16 oz. apothecaries and a regular mouth pint mason jar. Liquid dyes in all. Tops look great - no need for heat gun. The apothecaries have no frost on the sides at all and adhesion is complete, no wetspots whatsoever. I poured a few candles with a different wax at the same time and they already have lots of wet spots. The mason jar has some frost on the sides and is also the one I used the most dye with (burgundy). The tops have a very slightly lighter color, I wouldn't really call it frost though - going to keep an eye on this as I have a feeling it may worsen with time. I poured these all at 150 degrees and this seems to be a good pouring temperature. Cold throw is very good.

Poured 464 last night in a 9 oz balmoral. Added color, FO at 175 and poured at 135 using a RRD55. The room temperature in my workshop was 80 degrees and 76% humidity. After 2 hours it still hadn't set up. I brought it in the house and it finally set up after another 45 minutes. No frost, no wet spots but the top was not smooth. I think room temperature and humidity had something to do with it. The cold throw is great! Can't wait to burn it.

I poured two candles last night, in 5oz hourglass jars, no dye. 24 hour results:

1. 8% FO, poured at 150. Frosting all along bottom. No wet spots, very flat top, great scent throw.

2. 8% FO, poured at 170. Tiny smidge of frosting on bottom (barely noticeable), no wet spots, very flat top except for minimal slight depression in one spot. Excellent scent throw.

Will wait one more day to burn, but this looks very promising so far!

I like this wax, but am having trouble wicking it. I poured an 8oz jj with 7% FO. Cold throw is good, not getting any hot throw though. I am trying LX wicks, with an LX 26 I get almost a full MP at 2 hours and then they are mushrooming and drowning out. I am going to try eco wicks next. What wicks are working best for everyone else??

464 WICK update-HI Everyone,,I have used the 700 series W1-798,,,although it works well in my 16oz wide mouth Kerr it has problems with Mushrooming real bad,,,So I put in a HTP 1312 and this works very well,,,,FINALLY!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

464 WICK update-HI Everyone,,I have used the 700 series W1-798,,,although it works well in my 16oz wide mouth Kerr it has problems with Mushrooming real bad,,,So I put in a HTP 1312 and this works very well,,,,FINALLY!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Are you getting any sort of 'shrooming at all with the 1312, and are you getting a full MP?

your geek

My results so far--

Just poured these today around 10 a.m.--

JAR ONE

7 oz wax. 0.4 FO Godiva Chocolate Soltice, 4 drops brown, heat 180, pour 130, room temp jar. Top was pretty smooth (no wick). Sides and bottom have some mottling and it is starting to spread. I really don't like that, reminds me of a petri dish with things growing in it.

JAR TWO

I currently use a blend, so I also poured

5 oz 464

2 oz J223

0.4 FO Godiva Chocolate Soltice, 4 drops brown, heat 210 (oops), pour 130, room temp jar. No mottling on this one, some wet spots but small and not a lot. Will wait and see if more pop up. I would probably pour this warmer next time, maybe 140-150. --now at a ratio of 70/30 C3 and J223 I get air pockets, with this I didn't. That is a big plus.

Neither had air pockets. cold throw is really good. Will burn tomorrow.

Just poured 5 lbs. of the 464 in 11 different fragrances, and I must say I am really impressed with how the no-color ones set up. Of the 11 fragrances I poured, I colored 4 of them. Out of the 4, three set up nicely, but am having a cottage cheese effect with one. I am thinking it is either the fragrance, or color; possibly both. I will have to pour this fragrance without color and see what happens.

Already, the cold throw is GREAT! I am not patient enough to cure a candle to test, so I will be lighting these testers tomorrow. I can do this with my present wax and get a GREAT throw, so I am going to try it this way with the 464.

I used 3" frosted tumblers for the no color testers, and 2 3/4" clear tumblers for the colored testers. I heated all wax to 180*; immediately added the color/fragrance, and poured between 135 - 145.

Now if the hot throw is as good as my present wax, and the wicking can be a bit cooler; one size down would be great, I will definately give the 464 a try.

I am going to start out the wick testing at what I presently use in these containers and go from there.

Updates forthcoming! Going to bed now!

I just got my sample yesterday. So I will be testing over the weekend!! So I heat to about 180 and pour at around 130?? is this right? I am using 9oz hex jars and 10oz apothocary jars. I was thinking ECO 8 or 10 or CD 14 or 16 in the hex jars and two eco 2's in the apothocary's. Does this sound OK?

Patricia

Heated to 180 -- added JS Hot Baked Apple Pie @ 1.5 oz pp -- no color

Poured @ 150 -- 8 oz JJ and 16 oz apothecary -- unheated jars

Cooled on stainless steel pouring table -- uncovered

Climate-controlled environment -- year round 70F; 38% humidity

Next Day: Super cold throw -- no wet spots -- minimal frosting on top

Test Burn (3 days later): 1/4" deep with 1/4" hang-up and weak hot throw @ 3 hours; full meltpool @ 4 hours with stronger throw; full meltpool 3/8" deep with stronger throw @ 6 hours

Plus Points: cold throw - pour temp - unheated containers

Now if I can just pump up the hot throw. Any recommendations?

What wicks are you using? Maybe you need to up the wick size. This wax had a great hot throw for me. I used 2 HTP 104's in a 16 Apothecary which is what I normally use. It was a bit much with this wax but I had a full melt pool and great hot throw the day after pouring. I can wick down with this wax.