GW 464 Test Results Thread

This is my first post with pics. Hope this works!

J.S. Dream sickle 8.5%. Heated 180^ added F/O 175^ and poured at 145^ colored w/color block orange.

J.S. Hyacinth Chula Orchid 8.5%. Heated to 180^ added F/O 175^ and poured 135^ colored w/color block violet.

Containers: 10 oz. hurricane, 3 oz. flower pot votive and tarts.

Forgot to add: Cold throw with both scents is very good. I'll give a couple days to cure and burn.

Dream Sickle: Set up real nice. Touch of frosting on hurricane side, none on top. No frosting on flower pot. Tarts are smooth on top, but frosting on bottom.

Hyacinth Chula Orchid: Hurricane set up real rough on top. Frosting on top and sides. Flower Pot top bumpy. Tarts are very frosted.

Edit:

Since the Hyacinth top looked so bad, I hit it with the heat gun for 20-30 seconds and it looks smoother, but seems to be oozing a bit and I did find a few air bubbles.

The hyacinth candle looks like the mottling I was talking about. I don't really see frost on there on the side, but I see the mottling and on mine it started small like that and spread all over. Very ugly. The one I added 30% J223 didn't though.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hyacinth candle looks like the mottling I was talking about. I don't really see frost on there on the side, but I see the mottling and on mine it started small like that and spread all over. Very ugly. The one I added 30% J223 didn't though.

by the way, above, I meant mine was ugly, in case that sounded wrong :tongue2:

Hmmmm, well I kinda aim the gun from the center out toward the glass and not directly on the wick. Kinda hard to explain. This is a LX wick and it's a pretty heavily primed with wax and that helps. I should also say that I'm using a embossing heat gun. Not sure if that makes a difference. HTH

I got a picture of the mottling too. This is the same Hyacinth Chula Orchid as pictured above. Never had a candle set up like this before, so I took a picture. This might be what your talking about KFTS. Sure was ugly when it was happening. Funny that the Dream sickle didn't do this at all. Soy is a fickle thing.

post-2343-13945839808_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398082_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic after I hit it with the heat gun. Looks much better. But, you can see oil oozing. Must say, the cold throw is really good on both these candles.
As with paraffin, the compatibility of the FO and wax is going to vary. It's just one of the various criteria for selecting which fragrances to use. In this case you might try putting in a lot less FO, to see if it sets up better and you still get good throw. If that doesn't work I'd just ditch the hyacinth chula orchid.

I got a picture of the mottling too. This is the same Hyacinth Chula Orchid as pictured above. Never had a candle set up like this before, so I took a picture. This might be what your talking about KFTS. Sure was ugly when it was happening. Funny that the Dream sickle didn't do this at all. Soy is a fickle thing.

yep, that is it. Now C3 I currently blend with will do this too when used alone, not always but too much for me to tolerate. And same results when mixing with J223, it prevents mottling and nearly eliminates frosting too. Aesthetics wise, not much of a difference between the two blends. So, if the throw on this wax is superior, I may restest and switch with cost factors and availability of my paraffin mixer wax at the same place influencing my decision. --Oh wait, there was one other factor, the no air pockets on the 464/paraffin blend, that is a biggie too because of the time saving factor.

OMG! I just got my sample today and am very impressed! I poured two different batches, one with Sage Lemongrass(AtWixEnd) and one with Sun Washed Linen(candlesource) and wow, they look terrific! I usually have to hit them with the heat gun when I was using the C-3 (like every time!) but these are smooth, no frosting, so wet spots, nothing. I use 1 oz FO per lb and only used a couple of drops of liquid dye per lb. Heated to 185, added FO at 160 and poured at 140. I will never use any other wax again! Will send pictures when I can! YooHoo! I'm a happy girl!

Jason - GF

Thanks to everyone for the testing of this product. I have something else up my sleeve and will let you all know about it in the next week or so. Until then, keep on testing.

jason

C'Mon Jason,,,,, Give us a hint... :P

I love the 464... Don't tell me you came out with something better cuz so far this wax really rocks???:grin2:

don't worry, it's not a container blend. It will be blended next week and ready for my candleteckers to enjoy. I know how much everyone here loves testing. So keep an eye open. This will be dealt with just like the last samples.

Jason:p

WOOHOO!!!!!! Can't Wait!!!:D

J.S. Dream Sickle/Hyacinth Chula Orchid

(pictured in previous posts)

Cured 4 day's. I burned my candles for 4-5 hours. The cold and hot throw is very good. Burned very well. No soot or bad mushrooming. Trimmed wicks every couple hours.

post-2343-139458398525_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398528_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398531_thumb.jpg

post-2343-139458398533_thumb.jpg