how long until you decide to sell candles?

hello everybody! How are you?

I just want to ask, how long is the testing phase? The reason I ask is because, a lot of people on facebook groups test their candles twice or only started learning the craft for a month and started selling. 

Also, is it really safe to add glitters, dried botanicals or like sprinkles to the candles? I see them a lot on fb groups. 

You test and test and test and make sure your candles are safe.

No to added dried leaves and flowers. You will be responsible for the fire in the home when all those bits catch fire and blow into the room and burn the house down.

You have to have insurance, business license etc before selling.

There are no shortcuts, you are literally playing with Fire.

Craftserver has tons of information about candlemaking and people in the business that can guide you so you can setup a candlemaking business properly.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes to all of the above.
I dabbled for a long time and thoroughly tested for at least a year before I ever sold the first thing.  

I would caution against selling anything until you are insured and licensed to do business (according to your local laws).  

Save the botanicals for melts/wickless.

• Like 2

Some expensive lessons learned... 

- know how your candles will burn during various seasons. Example, testing wicks in cool seasons (and climates) can result in very different burns in warm seasons (and climates). a difference in as little as 5-10 degrees F in the room where a candle is burning can cause very different burns. 

- know how your candles handle shipping in hot and cold seasons.

- know how your candles handle not being burned in optimal conditions. Know what happens if you never trim a wick before lighting (because people don’t even if they say they do).

- know how your candles change over the course of several seasons. Some waxes age very poorly. 

- recognize when things are wrong with your wax, etc. and HOW TO FIX them.

- learn how to spot and prevent cracks and Cavities to prevent flares. Understand how syneresis can be hidden beneath the surface and can cause pooling which can be a fire hazard.

i don’t sweat it when people rush any more. I know most new makers will flare out quickly when they realize how expensive and dangerous selling poorly made candles can be. Those who intend to make a living from candles take their time and create reliable products that generate a long term revenue stream.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Season testing! This applies to candles, tarts and bath and body!

i remember an Etsy seller complaining how her product always melted in summer.

This seller didn’t formulate so the product could take the heat in summer.

she had to redo product.

Even formulated and hot and cold seasons, you also have to contend with transit, hot mailboxes, UPS letting your stuff cook in truck!

Lots of variables.

ignore those Facebook Etsy sellers sticking flammable on their candles. It’s just not safe! What if that dried flower sparked and flew off table onto the tablecloth and started a fire. It just takes a second.

also Reddit and YouTube have some really bad candle advice and videos. There are tons of seasoned candle pros here, and trust me no matter how many candles you have made etc, there is always something new to learn!,

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, syntheaahh said:

I just want to ask, how long is the testing phase? The reason I ask is because, a lot of people on facebook groups test their candles twice or only started learning the craft for a month and started selling. 

Also, is it really safe to add glitters, dried botanicals or like sprinkles to the candles? I see them a lot on fb groups. 

Welcome to the side of enlightenment 😂🙏🏻

• Like 1

Learning and testing NEVER ends! 16 years in now and it still keeps me on my toes.
As for the dried botanicals...no. Just no. Anything with an open flame should not be near botanicals. Micas tend to clog wicks. Crystals can shatter.

Sadly I also see some suppliers promoting the use of unsafe "enhancements" just to make a sale. 

I have also noticed that a lot of FB groups have people that sell within a month of starting. Insanity.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 9:12 AM, TallTayl said:

- know how your candles change over the course of several seasons. Some waxes age very poorly.

I agree with everything TT mentioned. However, this one is something most newish folks don't consider.  I want to know how this wax looks a year from now.  I had found a tart wax that was awesome.  It worked well.  It looked great.  I continued testing, opened the goodie box six months later, and the melts had bloomed a little bit.  At the year mark, it went from bloom to cracked and powdery.  Definitely NOT the impression I want to make.

• Like 2

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I have only been testing for 6 months and I know I am nowhere near even letting friends or family test any candles let alone sell them. I left most of the Facebook groups. It was too much misinformation and I found myself constantly posting the candles.org link or other reputable information sites or commenting to use the search bar within the group or the group files. It definitely helped me tremendously in the very beginning so I feel guilty leaving but its time for me to move on and move forward. It definitely shocked me that so many people would make a candle and start selling almost immediately. Glad to know nothing is wrong with me and that it is supposed to be this much work which I enjoy. I finally settled on a candle wax and purchased some additional types of wicks to test. I was starting to feel rushed and overwhelmed when I didn't need to be. I have a full time job. The people that have been asking me for candles are customers I had when I worked for a candle company that recently went out of business.  I think the biggest thing and this was something I posted on one the groups is to take everything with a grain of salt and do your own thorough research and test. When they keep posting such broad questions that flood the feed any "advanced" users in the group will leave or at least stop engaging and it begins to be the blind leading the blind. Anyone that really wants to learn will find a way and figure it out. It can be difficult to walk away when you know the wrong information is being shared. It's dangerous. But thank you. yes I am ready to work and learn and make my house smell good!

You want to test with different seasons too. Let’s say you make a great candle. Beautiful adhesion. Come fall total fail wet spots everywhere, wick won’t burn.  Wait six months and see how wax settles, one year too if using soy and see how it ages. It’s not a waste of time. You will only be smart because you took your time!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marisa11 said:

The people that have been asking me for candles are customers I had when I worked for a candle company that recently went out of business.  

Hi,

Did you by any chance worked for Gold Canyon Candle Company? 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:42 AM, syntheaahh said:

I have to say with all honesty that the questions you are asking indicate you are not ready.

Testing is different for everyone. Some people learn faster than others and some stumble on to success on the first try. But you will only know how good your candle is and when its ready to sell when you are satisfied with all these issues of safety, proper burn, excellent scent throw, appearance, cost of goods (how your price will be affected). How well do you know your wax, wick system, burn (candle consumption, burn times, flame type/burn). Have you become an authority on your candles? Are you an expert on your wax of choice? What do you know about your wick system, how and why it burns the way it does? What type of flame does it produce, does it waste fragrance when burning or diffuse it properly? What do you know about mushrooms? proper consumption? flame heights? What things can inhibit or retard scent throw or make it throw like champ? What do you know about smoking? Soot? Wet spots? 

Are dried botanicals, glitters, sprinkles safe or not? You need to know these things and be able to answer all the questions above like an expert. Until you are the expert of your candles you are not ready to sell.

On average, it takes a year or two before you can build a good candle. About another year or so to make a great candle that customers will keep coming back for year after year after year. If your candles is not up to par, forget about selling, you have already lost your customer base as soon as you start selling. What makes a great candle is your knowledge and experience with your candlemaking. 

I see candlemakers that are selling that made their first candle less than a month ago. The next year I never see them again. I work craft shows and farmer's markets, wholesale, and have a website. So I see a lot of new candlemakers and those that don't know what they are doing tend to disappear withing the first year of selling. Only those who strive to continue to learn their trade and perfect it make it in this business.

One last thing. It's not enough to be a great candlemaker. If you plan to sell you also have to be a great salesman and be a good bookkeeper. How much is your COG? How can you buy materials to stay within a competative price range and still and plus know how to promote and market your candles. For example, I see new candlemakers load their candles with lots of fragrance to brag about how much is in their candles. Do you know why this will or will not work. BTW, typically it does not and the candlemakers that do this just to load up are the first to go out of business.

There is a lot to learn but if its something you really want to do you can. Lots of folks here can help. But take steps to learn all you can and ask when you need help. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Marisa11

I know there are many people who are obsessed with that brand, and I liked their candles, too.  They were doing really good for so many years that it kind of surprised me they closed down their business this year.

I guess you have upper hand knowledge of how to sell candles than many others.  Good luck with your candle making journey!  It's not hard, but it would take little(☺️) longer than what we would hope to be.

3 hours ago, Marisa11 said:

I left most of the Facebook groups. It was too much misinformation...

I left most of the Facebook groups too for the same reason. I kept reading bad information and seeing pictures of candles that looked unsafe. There is so much good information here about so many different topics.  I read posts on this forum daily for months before I felt even remotely prepared to try making my own candle. I know that I am nowhere near ready to sell (or even give away) a candle but I do know that I want to keep learning from the best. Everyone has been very helpful, kind and encouraging so far which I appreciate immensely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Candybee said:

I have to say with all honesty that the questions you are asking indicate you are not ready.

Testing is different for everyone. Some people learn faster than others and some stumble on to success on the first try. But you will only know how good your candle is and when its ready to sell when you are satisfied with all these issues of safety, proper burn, excellent scent throw, appearance, cost of goods (how your price will be affected). How well do you know your wax, wick system, burn (candle consumption, burn times, flame type/burn). Have you become an authority on your candles? Are you an expert on your wax of choice? What do you know about your wick system, how and why it burns the way it does? What type of flame does it produce, does it waste fragrance when burning or diffuse it properly? What do you know about mushrooms? proper consumption? flame heights? What things can inhibit or retard scent throw or make it throw like champ? What do you know about smoking? Soot? Wet spots? 

Are dried botanicals, glitters, sprinkles safe or not? You need to know these things and be able to answer all the questions above like an expert. Until you are the expert of your candles you are not ready to sell.

On average, it takes a year or two before you can build a good candle. About another year or so to make a great candle that customers will keep coming back for year after year after year. If your candles is not up to par, forget about selling, you have already lost your customer base as soon as you start selling. What makes a great candle is your knowledge and experience with your candlemaking. 

I see candlemakers that are selling that made their first candle less than a month ago. The next year I never see them again. I work craft shows and farmer's markets, wholesale, and have a website. So I see a lot of new candlemakers and those that don't know what they are doing tend to disappear withing the first year of selling. Only those who strive to continue to learn their trade and perfect it make it in this business.

One last thing. It's not enough to be a great candlemaker. If you plan to sell you also have to be a great salesman and be a good bookkeeper. How much is your COG? How can you buy materials to stay within a competative price range and still and plus know how to promote and market your candles. For example, I see new candlemakers load their candles with lots of fragrance to brag about how much is in their candles. Do you know why this will or will not work. BTW, typically it does not and the candlemakers that do this just to load up are the first to go out of business.

There is a lot to learn but if its something you really want to do you can. Lots of folks here can help. But take steps to learn all you can and ask when you need help. Good luck!

thank you so much for the wonderful

words of wisdom. Yes, you are right, I am still more on the research phase. Im glad to be a part of this group where I get answers from pro chandlers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jmspgh said:

I left most of the Facebook groups too for the same reason. I kept reading bad information and seeing pictures of candles that looked unsafe. There is so much good information here about so many different topics.  I read posts on this forum daily for months before I felt even remotely prepared to try making my own candle. I know that I am nowhere near ready to sell (or even give away) a candle but I do know that I want to keep learning from the best. Everyone has been very helpful, kind and encouraging so far which I appreciate immensely.

I feel the same way with facebook. Like they would insist it should be 12%, adding botanicals, stones, mica and they are clearly fire hazards but nope, they chose to add it. I mean its their business but its just crazy what I see in there. 

@Marisa11 yup! Most of the questions on fb groups can be found on the search bar, specially because some questions are being asked a lot of times

• Like 2

@BusyBee A lot of us were surprised and then maybe not so much surprised. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't lose that much money and didn't have a lot of on hand inventory at the end. I learned a lot and met a lot of people so it was still a good experience for me. Now I have another expensive hobby!  I need to find a hobby/craft that uses less paper towels. My other hobby is acrylic painting. :)  

6 hours ago, syntheaahh said:

I feel the same way with facebook. Like they would insist it should be 12%, adding botanicals, stones, mica and they are clearly fire hazards but nope, they chose to add it. I mean its their business but its just crazy what I see in there. 

@Marisa11 yup! Most of the questions on fb groups can be found on the search bar, specially because some questions are being asked a lot of times

The internet is a great tool for learning so if you enjoy getting into different groups and forums for the social aspect as well as continuing education on your craft then do it. My advice is to read posts with a grain of salt. There is just as much good info as there is bad or absurd and even dangerous. The more social media you become a part of you will start to see differences in how people post info. My experience is the bad info generally comes from the groups that post mostly gossip and include a lot of haters. 

Our community here is geared towards learning and helping others with their craft. You won't see a lot of hate or useless gossip. Well, a little bit but often it is helpful.