Smoke & Odor Eliminator (Candle Science)

In an heroic effort to protect my customers and me from phthalates and other things that cause cancer in California but not in my home state, Candle Science has come out with what they claim is a new version of their Smoke and Odor Eliminator. The new fragrance isn't anywhere close to the original, and now I've lost one of my best sellers. The substitute they now sell is nothing more than another version of Clean Cotton.  What do I do? Discontinuing the product from my line isn't an option at this time. Is there anyone out there that is familiar enough with the dropped Candle Science product to be able to tell me where I can buy something really close to the original?

I haven't been around here lately. My father is in the final stages of congestive heart failure. He is in hospice in the home that he and I share, and I'm his caregiver. I've had to set candle making aside for the time being. I've always heard people say that being a caregiver is a tough job. I never realized what a monumental task it is. Even with hospice nurses coming by the house, and with a somewhat steady flow of care providers from an agency, it is a killer task. I'll check in when I can.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your dad.  I can relate to CHF, luckily open heart surgery corrected mine, also the whole caregiver/hospice with my dad.  It's mentally and physically draining.  Lighting a candle for you!

I can't recall what CandleScience's smelled like.  I switched to Flaming Candle's a few yrs back, it's a citrus and I really like it.  I'm prob not helping you at all, sorry.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Thanks 1

Quentin!

So sorry about your father.

Both my parents were in hospice care and you are correct, it’s beyond overwhelming even with help. Between 3 siblings we hired a caretaker who would spend the night a few times a week but it’s the emotional strain that was hardest on me. Burnout big time so get out a bit and don’t forget to take some time for yourself. 🌸

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NightLight said:

Do you know the fragrance note of the old one. You haven’t totally lost out, you could get it duped then add the eliminator additive.

Yes, I'm certain I printed out the information on the old version. Tell me more about having it duped. I wouldn't know who to contact. That will be a new experience for me. Thanks for the encouraging news.

17 hours ago, CandleRush said:

Quentin!

So sorry about your father.

Both my parents were in hospice care and you are correct, it’s beyond overwhelming even with help. Between 3 siblings we hired a caretaker who would spend the night a few times a week but it’s the emotional strain that was hardest on me. Burnout big time so get out a bit and don’t forget to take some time for yourself. 🌸

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I have tried to escape to the garage and make a candle or two, but I can't really concentrate. The attendants are not nurses so they can't give medication. That means they wake me during the night since I'm the one that has to administer any meds. I'm no more qualified than the sitters are, and it's a scary thing to be the one that has to give my father drugs like morphine and Haldol in the middle of the night. 

1 hour ago, Quentin said:

Yes, I'm certain I printed out the information on the old version. Tell me more about having it duped. I wouldn't know who to contact. That will be a new experience for me. Thanks for the encouraging news.

Check out these threads on AFI. I’m just learning about dupes as well  

• Thanks 1

Are these odor eliminators made differently than regular FO?

I don’t know much about them and was asked to make some melts for pet owners.

What is the difference between the eliminators and FO?

Just curious as usual🌸

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

Just curious as usual🌸

I don't know if Candle Science had a "secret ingredient" or not, but it was a strong spice fragrance. It would fill the whole house.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Sebleo said:

Thats what I mean by what is their baseline.  Seems they are giving you a formula for weight but you’re not going to be weighing the dye. You measure by drops. (You could measure by weight, but I’m sure the vast majority of people do not.)

Youre going to have to test anyway. So, if it were me I wouldn’t bother emailing them. Just compute your own system. 

On 4/8/2019 at 6:01 AM, NightLight said:

They are doing it by weight and assuming you are making large batches so it wouldn’t be that hard to measure out. Smaller batches difficult.

Yes devise your own system. So if one drop to 8 ounces makes the lighter color, then you will use two drops per pound if that makes sense. So you are going to use parts instead of weight for measuring.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, TallTayl said:

I’d break out the heat gun myself. 

49 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

Check out these threads on AFI. I’m just learning about dupes as well  

I'll check out AFI. Thanks.

Quentin I do remember the old version of the CS odor eliminator. It was awesome. Always reminded me of a spicy fruity chewing gum scent. It really worked awesome too. I was bummed when they discontinued that too. Haven't tried another since then so I'm no help.

So sorry to hear about your dad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravens said:

If memory serves me right, I think Lebermouth can dupe just about any fragrance (if you send them a sample of the original FO you want duped, of course).

HTH

They can, but you’re in for 50 lbs from them - wicked minimums.

orchidia in Illinois is a great lab. 25 lb mins. 

pure fragrance oils does dupes and will work with you on quantities usually it’s a 10 lb min.  It’s $50 for 5 dupes. You can send the same scent to 3 of their perfumers to compete for the best Dupe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CandleRush said:

Just curious as usual🌸

Ok, I'm not a chemist and don't know exactly how this works, but true, actual odor eliminators do contain compounds that surround other odor molecules and trap them. So they aren't just scents that cover other scents up. In a recent article they posted, CS described how they tested the new odor eliminator by using old, used cat litter! https://www.candlescience.com/behind-the-scents-june-2019-fragrance-oil-revisions

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I got my sample from AFI and it is amazing.  It's the exact dupe for CS Smoke & Odor Eliminator and I might even say a tad better. Made melts to test the effectiveness and wow it filled the room  and eliminated cooking odors. Held up for 3 days!  Slowly  but surely I am going to find dupes for the CS oils that I use as they have been discontinuing too many in my opinion so I'm going to find back ups just in case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, EllyM said:

I got my sample from AFI and it is amazing.  It's the exact dupe for CS Smoke & Odor Eliminator and I might even say a tad better. Made melts to test the effectiveness and wow it filled the room  and eliminated cooking odors. Held up for 3 days!  Slowly  but surely I am going to find dupes for the CS oils that I use as they have been discontinuing too many in my opinion so I'm going to find back ups just in case.

Thanks for the tip @EllyM  I've been trying to mix my own but can't quite get there. I want to order the AFI version of CS Smoke & Odor Remover. Please tell me who AFI is and if you have a link that would be wonderful. 

---Q

Quentin

AFI is Aromatic Fragrances international https://afi-usa.com/

They offer 6 free samples ($5 shipping for al) and have thousands of fragrances.  Very pleased with customer service.  I had placed an order for 2 samples and they reached out and let me know I could order up to 6.  Very quick shipping too. 

• Thanks 1