How long is to long?

Daisymay66

It will vary from oil to oil.  I would first smell them and if they smell off I would probably chuck them.  Olive oil, high oleic Sunflower and Safflower, Castor, Coconut, Jojoba, Lard, Palm, Shea and Cocoa Butter will last quite a long time if stored properly.  Avocado, Canola, Grapeseed, Hemp will oxidize much more quickly.  

I assume you mean fragrance oils Daisymay? The shelf life can vary just like with carrier oils, but properly stored they can last quite a while. Minimally 2-3 years for most. I know some people here have oils that are quite a bit older than that. I had a bottle of Dragons Blood that was at least 5 years old, stored in amber glass in a cabinet . It smelled fine to me.

• Like 2

I've been thinking of posting something about this subject of "tossing" for a little while now, but just haven't done it.  It came to mind again when reading the post about not pouring wax down the drain, but in regard to fragrance oils ... how are they commonly "tossed" I wonder.   (They should never be poured down the drain either for environmental reasons.)

I've never thrown any away, always have used them or mixed them, but I have a few very old bottles that will eventually need to go. 

I was thinking that they probably go to the recycling center where they take assorted household chemicals and other things that are toxic. 

Does that sound right?  I know the same places accept motor oil, etc., but I've haven't asked about fragrance oil.

I have oils that are upwards of 10 years old that are perfectly fine, and then I've had others that have gone bad in less than 2 years. It's subjective by oil. 

I know about 5 years ago I researched the disposal of fragrance oils, and they gave no particular special instructions on the disposal. It basically said you could throw them in the trash, or down your drain. That was in my area, I have no idea if that is still the case or if it's changed here, but I didn't like that answer, and so now when I have a bad oil I set it aside until we have our annual haz-mat disposal day and take it to them. They can deal with it. They take things like car batteries, industrial cleaning supplies, chemicals, etc., so see no harm in sending them the bad fragrances. They let us know about a month before pick-up and send out several reminders. Whenever I get the first email I go through ALL of my fragrances and get rid of any that have gone off or bad, and take them all to them on the specified day. 

• Like 2

I just trashed some oils that were well over 15 years old and still smelled good.  I just don't use and cleaned out.  Now I date my bottles when I get them.  Pretty much sniff test and if in question I'll make a melt or candle and see how it smells burning.  I find heavy vanilla scents seem to go bad the quickest, followed by citrus.  Our disposal drop where we can take old electronics etc also takes old oils including fo. 

• Like 1

I think I have some 12 yr old bottles laying around from when I first started making candles. I don't change the plastic for amber glass bottles either. I just keep the FOs in their original plastic bottles and occasionally 'burp' them when they go concave.

I am gradually using up my older oils but at the rate I buy new ones I will never win that race!

• Like 3

I just poured 2 oils from RE that were bought in 2009 and just as good as they were when I bought them.  I keep most of my oils in a separate room that is dark & cold and they have kept fine.  Edited to add I also have oils much older that are fine.  I also keep them in the bottles they come in and burp them if they concave. 

Edited by grama
  • Like 2