I feel like Im at my wits end with these wicks. Im using 464 and testing  8 oz square masons + small weck jars - 2" in diameter . Heres what Ive tried so far in unscented 

wax . Square Masons : CD 8 and one in CD 10 and I just poured one with a CD 12 and heres why. CD 8 wicks great while burning + minimal mushrooming - CD 10 looks 

good too but Im not getting a deep enough melt pool with either one plus Im getting a lot of wax hang up - can't stand this :( Poured 2 SM weck jars - one in a CD 5

and one in a CD 6 . Both have a great flame but got less wax hang up with a CD 6. If anyone has experience with CDN's will I face the same challenges with wax hangup 

whats the difference between both wick series ? I need opinions on the wick sizes Ive chosen thus far for the mason jars - thoughts appreciated. Maybe a should try a 

different series all together ? Open for any suggestions you might have to offer. Thank you in advance :) 

I'm by no means and expert, but I've been using CDs lately with 464 and find that the hangup usually catches up and is gone by the 3rd or 4th burn (depending on how long those burns were). 

The melt pool on the CD 6 looks pretty deep to me. I think there was a thread going on wicking mini masons (they were maybe 1-2" in diameter?) that might be helpful for those small jars. 

I am attempting to use CD wicks in my small 4 oz jelly jars, a bit more than 2.25" in diameter.  I have been testing CD6, CD7, and even CD8 with some tougher fragrances.  I have found that the smaller CD6 wicks burn larger, shallower melt pools than the CD7s.  The CD7s always leave a lot of hangup on one side of the jar, even though I twist the wicks.  Scent throw is also better with the CD6s.  HOWEVER, during the second burn with CD6 the flame get so small I am afraid it is going to go out - this hasn't happened, though.  Just a weak flame.  Melt pool and scent throw still look great, though.  So I'm up in the air!  Wicking is so frustrating.

*Edited to say I agree that your CD6 wick looks a bit large.  There is a bit of soot around the top of your jar there.

Edited by ehatch1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ehatch1 said:

I am attempting to use CD wicks in my small 4 oz jelly jars, a bit more than 2.25" in diameter.  I have been testing CD6, CD7, and even CD8 with some tougher fragrances.  I have found that the smaller CD6 wicks burn larger, shallower melt pools than the CD7s.  The CD7s always leave a lot of hangup on one side of the jar, even though I twist the wicks.  Scent throw is also better with the CD6s.  HOWEVER, during the second burn with CD6 the flame get so small I am afraid it is going to go out - this hasn't happened, though.  Just a weak flame.  Melt pool and scent throw still look great, though.  So I'm up in the air!  Wicking is so frustrating.

*Edited to say I agree that your CD6 wick looks a bit large.  There is a bit of soot around the top of your jar there.

So you think I should try a CD 5 ? Thank you :) 

9 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Couldn't hurt!  I should also mention, my CD6 & 8 wicks were from Flaming Candle, and my CD7s were from Nature's Garden - wondering if maybe the two companies use a different wax to coat their wicks, as their coatings looked a bit different.  That may have something to do with how they are burning (if that is the case, Flaming Candle wicks are burning better than Nature's Garden).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ehatch1 said:

Couldn't hurt!  I should also mention, my CD6 & 8 wicks were from Flaming Candle, and my CD7s were from Nature's Garden - wondering if maybe the two companies use a different wax to coat their wicks, as their coatings looked a bit different.  That may have something to do with how they are burning (if that is the case, Flaming Candle wicks are burning better than Nature's Garden).

Good to know as I have Flamings . I did notice Flaming doesn't carry some smaller CD wicks, not sure off hand if a CD5 is one that they don't carry or CD7 ??? 

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Good to know as I have Flamings . I did notice Flaming doesn't carry some smaller CD wicks, not sure off hand if a CD5 is one that they don't carry or CD7 ??? 

I think the smallest they carry is a CD6.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ehatch1 said:

I think the smallest they carry is a CD6.

I use Flamings wicks too.  The smallest yes, is the cd 6.

I use a lot of the cd 4's and 5's and some 7's too.   Now I get these at Bittercreek as Flaming doesn't carry them.  I even asked them if they would order them but they couldn't they said.  Bittercreek's coating on their cd wicks is thick unlike others but I've always liked their wicks.

Trappeur

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I would try a cd5 Moonshine.  I think it is borderline the meltpool depth as far as getting any deeper.  By the looks of the very clean jar the way the wax is melting, I would say the depth is going to get deeper even though you are more than 1/2 way through burning it.  How is the jar?  Is it hot or getting too hot to handle.

That's an unusual jar?  It's not a jelly jar is it?  It doesn't look like it looking at the top.  It's very pretty.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Ok, about your jars, here is my opinion.  

On that jar which has square corners it's going to have some hang up Moonstar as that jar can be a bugger to wick, but it truly once you get your wick selected a really cute jar jar.  It just struggles in the beginning because of the square corners.  Don't get frustrated because I think the cd 10 looks good.  You might have to go to the cd 12 as these are the sizes that I use for that jar.  Mostly cd 12's but 10's on some light fragrances.  Your doing a great job.  Your just not used to wicking a square cornered jar, that's all it is......And you want some hang up too so the jar doesn't get hot to the touch.  I think the cd8 is too small but let it burn to the end.

You go girl!:thumbsup2:

Trappeur

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I feel like Im at my wits end with these wicks. Im using 464 and testing  8 oz square masons ... CD 10 looks good too but Im not getting a deep enough melt pool with either one plus Im getting a lot of wax hang up - can't stand this :(

I think the 8 oz. "Special Ball" jar I used for my light orange candle (photo of it in gallery "pink soys") is similar to your jar.  I used 464 and it's been a couple of weeks since it's been poured.  I used a #3 cotton square braid ... maybe I should start to burn that candle this weekend and see how it goes so I can report back to you on its performance? 

I know that some here say not to use the square braids, although I like them ... my guess is that I may have been able to use one of the larger HTP sizes, but in the past when I have compared similar size HTP to the cotton, I've preferred the cotton.  I don't have experience with the Performa or Eco wicks, only some experience with CD, so I don't have real rounded experience with this, mostly a bit of bias and I don't know whether it's good or bad!  :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

#3 cotton is a huge wick for soy. I found in Savoy that the cotton square braids tends to sag in the melt pool. I was never happy with them in soy and save them for only beeswax.. Just keep a very close eye on it as you test it

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 11:20 AM, TallTayl said:

#3 cotton is a huge wick for soy. I found in Savoy that the cotton square braids tends to sag in the melt pool. I was never happy with them in soy and save them for only beeswax.. Just keep a very close eye on it as you test it

I started burning it (8-oz. square Ball jar) last night ... it burned for five hours; then after two hours burning this morning, I snapped a photo (below).  So, at this point it has burned for 7 hours ... there's no sagging of the wick, and I'm hoping the sides are going to catch up.  What do you think?

sqball7hours-no3.JPG

Edited by birdcharm
Edit to add ... jar is about 3.5" across

I have read that tins can burn hotter so that the wick size you'd normally use for any given diameter would be sized down for tins, but I'm not experienced with tins, so I can't really say -- only that I've read about it.  Although I would think that a 2/0 in a 3" diameter would be okay, but again, the heat of the tin most likely plays into it.  This is a #3 (not 3/0) -- I've got it going again, so I'll see if it starts to melt the wax on the sides.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:29 PM, Moonstar said:

I feel like Im at my wits end with these wicks. Im using 464 and testing  8 oz square masons + small weck jars - 2" in diameter . Heres what Ive tried so far in unscented 

wax . Square Masons : CD 8 and one in CD 10 and I just poured one with a CD 12 and heres why. CD 8 wicks great while burning + minimal mushrooming - CD 10 looks 

good too but Im not getting a deep enough melt pool with either one plus Im getting a lot of wax hang up - can't stand this :( Poured 2 SM weck jars - one in a CD 5

and one in a CD 6 . Both have a great flame but got less wax hang up with a CD 6. If anyone has experience with CDN's will I face the same challenges with wax hangup 

whats the difference between both wick series ? I need opinions on the wick sizes Ive chosen thus far for the mason jars - thoughts appreciated. Maybe a should try a 

different series all together ? Open for any suggestions you might have to offer. Thank you in advance :) 

What supplier are you using for the CD wicks?

Now it's been a long time since I used 464 but I remember having burn issues in that the wax was too soft and get too hot

I had tested CD- LX and HTP 

in that 8 ounce square jar you should be getting a good burn with a CD 10....that's what I use mainly with 415 and it's a much harder wax....

is this a new wax for you or just a new problem? 

CDN is the same exact wick as far as size goes it's just coated differently making it more compatible for veggie waxes, in my experience with my wax they burn cooler- if a CD 12 is too hot for me in the square Mason but the 10 is not quite enough, generally the CDN 12 is the perfect  In between 

Maybe try a CD 12 if the 10 ends up not working out but your pictures don't look bad at all- I think the 10 will be okay

the other jar I am not familiar with but it looks similar to a votive container - if a CD5 still proves to be too hot try a LX 14

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moonshine said:

What supplier are you using for the CD wicks?

Now it's been a long time since I used 464 but I remember having burn issues in that the wax was too soft and get too hot

I had tested CD- LX and HTP 

in that 8 ounce square jar you should be getting a good burn with a CD 10....that's what I use mainly with 415 and it's a much harder wax....

is this a new wax for you or just a new problem? 

CDN is the same exact wick as far as size goes it's just coated differently making it more compatible for veggie waxes, in my experience with my wax they burn cooler- if a CD 12 is too hot for me in the square Mason but the 10 is not quite enough, generally the CDN 12 is the perfect  In between 

Maybe try a CD 12 if the 10 ends up not working out but your pictures don't look bad at all- I think the 10 will be okay

the other jar I am not familiar with but it looks similar to a votive container - if a CD5 still proves to be too hot try a LX 14

Im using Flamings. The 4th burn on on CD 10 was just finally melting the wax hangup on the jar. I already poured another square mason with a CD 12 just to 

see what happens. I believe a have a sample pack of the CDN 12 you suggested so I'll try that too. Im thinking I might try some Ball quilted jelly jars 

the kind you can find at your local Kroger, I believe they are 8 oz . If your familiar that jar what do you recommend as a starting point with that jar ?

BTW - I know you've tried many of Sweet Cakes FO's - have you tried the Lavender + herbs by chance ? On a side note - this snow sucks lol ! 

looks like we might get lucky and only get 1-2" Also - the small jar is a Weck canning jar from Williams Sonoma - Im using them for gifts at my 

sons school :) The jar never got too hot with the CD 5 or 6. Actually both burn pretty good but Im thinking the CD 5 might be better .

Edited by Moonstar

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Is a nice steady flame going but I'm thinking it's a bit too small the wick....so far....

Trappeur

I burned it for 3.5 hours last night ... the sides of the glass were melting away, so by the end of a total of about ten hours, the walls of the glass are melting.  I'll burn it some more today and see how it goes!  So far, so good though, I think.  I'll take a pic.