Controlling temperature using Presto Pot?

Used my presto pot for the first time last night (love it!) so I'm definitely still working out the workflow with that in the mix. But I was having a lot of trouble keeping the wax warm once it came out of the presto. Basically, I'd ladle out the wax (I use 464) into a pour pot and mix in the fragrance and by the time I did that the wax would often be below 135 already (from 185 in the presto).

Any ideas for how to keep it warmer while I'm stirring in the FO? Or anyone willing to share what their workflow looks like with the presto? 

Jo

• Like 1

I use pyrex glass pour pots (4 cup and 8 cup measure) and I heat the pot right before fo and then wax goes in.  I have a spigot so I don't lose much temp in the transfer.  If you're using metal pour pots as everyone said the griddle on warm works best.

• Like 1

I also use a flat griddle pan to heat my pour pots on. It also keeps my wax warm in the pot while I put in scent and color. Once I have my wax mixed in my pour pots I remove from the griddle to cool the wax. The griddle will hold up to 4 large pouring pots. Got it at Walmart for about $20. Have had it for years with no problems. Was one of the best equipment investments I made for candlemaking besides my wax melter.

I also use it to level pillars.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

I guess I am 'old school' and use the double boiler system after transferring the wax from the presto pot  into the pour pot. 

When all ingredients are mixed in, I take it out of the double boiler and wait till the pouring temperature is reached, then pour. 

May have to purchase a griddle!

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 1

I didn't heat the pots, I was just using them room temperature - which seems really dumb now! This is all really helpful. 

My presto pot has a spout, but I was too scared to use it - I might just need to get brave as I'm sure that will help with the temperature as well. I love the idea of getting pyrex measuring cups to use, but I already have a few metal pots and a cheap griddle. 

I also think I need more thermometers - any recommendations? I've just been using a candy thermometer but sometimes have trouble with the clip slipping. 

I also think I need more thermometers - any recommendations? I've just been using a candy thermometer but sometimes have trouble with the clip slipping. 

I don't know if it will work with melted wax yet (I saw a lady on YouTube use one for wax), but I just got one of those point and read thermometers. It's still in the box, but it looked like a lot of fun. It was less than $15 from Amazon. It supposedly reads surface temperatures. Not sure how it will deal with liquids however.

5 hours ago, Incendia said:

I don't know if it will work with melted wax yet (I saw a lady on YouTube use one for wax), but I just got one of those point and read thermometers. It's still in the box, but it looked like a lot of fun. It was less than $15 from Amazon. It supposedly reads surface temperatures. Not sure how it will deal with liquids however.

I don't recommend that for wax, you need to know the exact temperature having it physically in the wax ?

candy thermometers work fine from like CS or peak 

I purchased the infrared thermometer mainly to find places in the house where either heat or cold are coming in or escaping in summer and winter. I agree that I don't think it's the best for wax, mainly because of the transparency of the liquid.

As for candy thermometers, I have 4 of them. One bulbous glass one with the clip, and 3 metal Taylors. I really don't like them because they are so hard to read. Also, since I don't sell my candles and don't need to be exact, I rarely take the temperature of the wax anyway. If I did however, I think I would first try one of those digital oven/meat thermometers with the probe at the end of a wire cable. One like Alton Brown uses in his cooking shows. Those are so fast and easy, and with large, easy to read numbers for the geriatric set (like me). And they don't get in the way when stirring, and the only thing to clean is the straight metal probe.

When I used to make cheese, I used another type of thermometer. One with a round dial at the top, and a long thin straight metal probe into the liquid. I think that one clipped on too. That was also very easy to read. I think that only went up into the low 200*F range, which would be acceptable. Those candy thermometers go up to 400*F

That seems like a pretty big drop for just adding to the pots. I work in a basement and that doesn't happen. One of two things I am guessing...
A. You are putting a very small amount, 1/2 lb or less in the pot
B. Your temp is dropping a lot when adding your fo
C. Your dial is at 185...but if you actually took the wax temp it is far less.

2 hours ago, Flicker said:

That seems like a pretty big drop for just adding to the pots. I work in a basement and that doesn't happen. One of two things I am guessing...
A. You are putting a very small amount, 1/2 lb or less in the pot
B. Your temp is dropping a lot when adding your fo
C. Your dial is at 185...but if you actually took the wax temp it is far less.

All good thoughts - thank you for the feedback :)

A. I was melting 2 lbs, and I actually didn't end up using all of it, there was likely about 1/2 lb left in the pot when I stopped.

B. I think that must be what's happening? 

C. I had the dial at 200, the candy thermometer I used was reading 185 in the wax. I did buy an instant read thermometer to see if there is any difference in the temperature read outs. 

I'm also in a basement (yay for basement crafts!) - I agree it seemed like a huge drop. But using metal pour pots and a metal ladle...I just don't see what else was happening. I have a griddle I can use to warm the pots and see if that helps with the temperature. I'm also going to make sure I have as much prepped as possible before I start pouring so I'm not trying to weigh FOs, or do anything else while I'm pouring. 

You had 1.5 lb in the pot when this happened? Gosh, my basement is 50* and I've never heated anything. Mine never got that low, not even remotely close and not that fast. I'd check your thermometer for accuracy. My wax is only 175 and a lb drops only about ten degrees max.

On 2/15/2017 at 3:04 PM, jbradshaw said:

I didn't heat the pots, I was just using them room temperature - which seems really dumb now! This is all really helpful. 

My presto pot has a spout, but I was too scared to use it - I might just need to get brave as I'm sure that will help with the temperature as well. I love the idea of getting pyrex measuring cups to use, but I already have a few metal pots and a cheap griddle. 

I have about 5 thermometer but I always go back to two of them. One is a long metal stick on a metal rope (I guess it's a meat thermometer) and it has enough weight to gently hang onto the pour pot of presto pot with very little Effort..:and the rope is connected to a digital readout that can sit on the counter nearby. Plus it has a nifty remote I can wear! I set the temp to 175 and it beeps to remind me to get the wax! I also have the laser kind (watched too much breaking bad!) and it does work almost as well (you can do a few readouts to be sure) and is much less messy!

• Like 1

On February 15, 2017 at 11:11 AM, kandlekrazy said:

I use pyrex glass pour pots (4 cup and 8 cup measure) and I heat the pot right before fo and then wax goes in.  I have a spigot so I don't lose much temp in the transfer.  If you're using metal pour pots as everyone said the griddle on warm works best.

I use Pyrex too. I have hardly heard many use these. I love them!

• Like 1

I have been using a laser thermometer for months and love it. I'll never go back to mercury and glass! Lol My candles still come out beautifully fwiw. But to each their own, always do what you are comfortable with. :)

I use metal pour pots as well but never thought of Pyrex, that sounds great.

My laser/infrared thermometer (which I love) (Makes a good cat toy too) gave inconsistent readings when I tried it for hot wax. Part of that I think was my melting vessel, which is reflective, shiny stainless steel. I was thinking of putting a black metal disc (to focus the laser on) in the bottom to lessen the problem. Maybe today. If that works, it would be so easy.

So - I ordered several thermometers, and I have a griddle I'm going to try having multiple readings and also warming the pots. Hopefully tonight.

This feedback has been so enormously helpful. 

Also wanted to add - I have never had a problem with frosting, air bubbles, or cave ins and on this batch that I originally referenced it has been pretty bad as I test burn. So I think the wax was definitely cooling too quickly. 

• 4 weeks later...

I melt my wax in a presto pot. I fill to brim twice which is about 8 lbs of wax.  I melt starting  at 250 degrees once I see liquid I lower that to 200 (this is about 185) I then allow the remaining wax I add to melt in.  I ladle out of the pot take an infrared temp and usually it is just the right temp for adding fragrance.  I add, Stir and let it sit for a min while I move onto the next scent and add more wax.  I work with three types of pouring pots. Metal which keep the wax hot longer, Rubbermaid Plastic which cools to pouring the fastest & Pyrex glass which allows for a slow cool.  I have not had an issue yet using this method and it works for me.  I am a small assembly line and alone I can knock out 100 in about 1 hour. But then I  pour 1 fragrance a dozen at a time.

32 minutes ago, Pamaroma said:

Couldn't we heat our pouring pots with a blow dryer also right before pouring the wax from presto pot into them? Just an idea and curious.

I often use a heat gun in my arctic shop to prewarm pots. When making candles of several colors the griddle helps immensely.

• Like 1