Controlling temperature using Presto Pot?

On 2/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, Incendia said:

I don't know if it will work with melted wax yet (I saw a lady on YouTube use one for wax), but I just got one of those point and read thermometers. It's still in the box, but it looked like a lot of fun. It was less than $15 from Amazon. It supposedly reads surface temperatures. Not sure how it will deal with liquids however.

Wow.....I've been using for so long that type thermometer called an infrared thermometer.  So you are saying it only reads surfaces?   So would that mean the inside of the liquid is going to be hotter?  Darn!  Well I use to use the candy thermometer which of course you have to be careful with it so you don't accidentally bump it and it cracks and all the inside stuff of the thermometer gets into the wax and now you have to throw it into the garbage.....ask me how I know....I guess what I'll have to do is do a side by side test and see what a batch of wax reads with a candy thermometer and a batch using my infrared one and compare....

Trappeur

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

.....  So you are saying it only reads surfaces?   So would that mean the inside of the liquid is going to be hotter?  Darn!  ....... [snip]........I guess what I'll have to do is do a side by side test and see what a batch of wax reads with a candy thermometer and a batch using my infrared one and compare....

I believe when they say it measures surfaces, they mean opaque objects. The suggestion was that you can't use it to accurately measure the temperature of the human body, for example, since it will only measure the temp of the skin the laser hits.

But transparent liquids such as wax are different since the laser can go through it. I don't know how accurate it is with liquids, and I am finding some variation.  I think to some extent it depends on the container the liquid is in - if is it shiny, will might reflect the laser. And perhaps how deep the liquid is might be another factor. Just guessing here.

It's been about two months since I've had mine. In that time I've read of a number of people using them successfully with wax. But I think your suggestion to do a side by side comparison in the same batch of wax would be both easy, interesting, and set your mind at ease. I have found that the readings in my wax seem more stable when pointed at melted wax that is deeper. Since at times I don't melt large quantities, and my pan is shiny.  I will tilt the pan for greater depth of wax and take my readings in the deeper liquid.

If you have been using one of these for along time, and your candles turn out good and are consistent, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

Oh, and the laser thermometer makes a great cat toy. :D

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 6:28 PM, Bibi6 said:

Hello,  Any recommendations for a Presto Pot?  I'm new to candle making and need to make about 200 as party favors for a friend.   

Do you have a Walmart? I think most of us get ours there. If it doesn't have it, someone does online.

I use a presto pot I got on eBay, it’s amazing. Once my wax is heated up to 185 I leave it in the pot and mix in my color (for two minutes) and then I mix my FO in while it is in the pot still. by this time my wax is still in the 175-180 range. once I’ve mixed in my FO I pour into my pouring pots. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESTO-POT-8lb-WAX-MELTER-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-FREE-SHIPPING/182567297772 (they have different sizes available)

On 2/20/2017 at 1:15 PM, Flicker said:

That seems like a pretty big drop for just adding to the pots. I work in a basement and that doesn't happen. One of two things I am guessing...
A. You are putting a very small amount, 1/2 lb or less in the pot
B. Your temp is dropping a lot when adding your fo
C. Your dial is at 185...but if you actually took the wax temp it is far less.

Yes as I have never used a griddle or heated anything  I do usually pour four lbs at a time and I have to let it cool to add fo and then stir 2 minutes and my wax is usually 16o at that point I pour mine from spicket as well I do not notice a big drop in temp

Edited by shicks