Picture of mini candle burning..

I lit this little mini mason jar candle today and used 1 cd 3 wick but I need a smaller one.  I see I can get a cd 2 from Bittercreek.  If that doesn't work would a tealight wick work?  Is a tea light wick smaller than a cd 2?

I did something I don't normally do.  I poured this teeney 1 3/4" tall mason jar candle yesterday in Fillmores Nutmeg and Ginger and burned it today (using 464)  ...I just wanted to see something....I always wait 2 weeks, but got a hair across my butt and thought "let me light this thing...".  Well I was at a cabin today which is a 2 floor cabin and I just couldn't believe (no kidding) that this candle I had in a bathroom scented not only the main floor of the cabin but up to the loft also.  Is this weird or what?  Never in my wildest dreams did I think that something like this could happen in such a small candle (the size of a shot glass) and no less scent 2 floors!  I blew it out an hour b4 I left and when I went in the bathroom, I could still smell the bathroom all scented......

On top of this all, I stopped at one of my accounts which is a little country store out in the boonies which sells quite a bit of my candles and I thought I would show them this candle to see what they thought...Omg, they said they wanted a couple dozen.....!  Now let me ask you this....Who in their right mind would buy this little dinky candle?  I know I wouldn't...lol...But hey, I just have to go to Dollar tree and see if I can get those mini salt and pepper shakers that Sponey said they had - 2 for $1.00 and fill them and sell them...so I'm on a mission...

Well back to my original question....if a cd 2 doesn't work, what else should I try? A tea light or what?

CIMG8694.jpg

I snuck a few extra pictures in.....lol

Just b/4 I left to go feed the horses I was going to feed Munchkin so I had her dish all set up at the counter and then plum forgot to feed her and left and when I got back, this is what I found sitting at the kitchen counter...Look at her!  What a puss on her face!  I could tell she was disgusted with me.  She has only been fed 5 times today!  Geesh!  Do you think she has me trained or what?  If looks could kill, this would be the photo.

CIMG8679.jpg

CIMG8677.jpg

CIMG8677.jpg

Now here is little Bart...He's not so little anymore but growing like a weed.  I hope his legs stop growing sometime.

CIMG8630.jpg

Sorry I got off the subject...lol

Trappeur

• Like 12

Sorry I can't contribute to your candle questions but I just want to say these cats are so cute!! I love the first pic. Something about my cat or dogs crossing their paws or leaning like that...it's always the cutest thing I've ever seen and I must have hundreds of pics of similar poses. Cute! ?

Edited by Lana

Good LORD Trapp! Does Bart got lynx in him? 

These are what you're looking for over in the kitchen utensils area: https://www.dollartree.com/Cooking-Concepts-Mason-Jar-Glass-Spice-Jars-2-ct-Packs/p361435/index.pro

They call'm spice jars. And yes, those little tiny jar candles throw with a vengeance! You get a really fast hot throw with them. As far as wicks, while you're at Dollar tree pick up some birthday cake candles and carve out the wicks or melt them down and pluck out the wicks? If you carve them down you could even leave a little nub at the bottom to help with centering the wick. Here: https://www.dollartree.com/Colorful-Birthday-Candles-60-ct-Packs/p357434/index.pro
I don't know what wicks cost but 60 wicks for a buck doesn't sound *too* horribly bad for a few minutes actual work... If the wax in them isn't to your liking, well, boil'm in some other wax?  Hell, I dunno. I make soap. Just a thort.  

Sponiebr The Executor of Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Rotten, Stink'n, Awful, Very Bad Ideas and Sundry Services... 

( Ka-CHOW! ;)  )

Adorable!!! Your cats crack me up

now the candle - that looks way bigger than a shot glass, maybe it's just the picture but it looks like a 16 ounce mason but skinnier

tealight wicks would be too short I would think...all the ones I ever used barely came up past the container unless you can order them longer 

Cd burns hotter in general - for votives I use lx mainly so maybe a  lx 8 or 10...

htp 31 could also work 

Edited by moonshine

25 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

Good LORD Trapp! Does Bart got lynx in him? 

These are what you're looking for over in the kitchen utensils area: https://www.dollartree.com/Cooking-Concepts-Mason-Jar-Glass-Spice-Jars-2-ct-Packs/p361435/index.pro

They call'm spice jars. And yes, those little tiny jar candles throw with a vengeance! You get a really fast hot throw with them. As far as wicks, while you're at Dollar tree pick up some birthday cake candles and carve out the wicks or melt them down and pluck out the wicks? If you carve them down you could even leave a little nub at the bottom to help with centering the wick. Here: https://www.dollartree.com/Colorful-Birthday-Candles-60-ct-Packs/p357434/index.pro
I don't know what wicks cost but 60 wicks for a buck doesn't sound *too* horribly bad for a few minutes actual work... If the wax in them isn't to your liking, well, boil'm in some other wax?  Hell, I dunno. I make soap. Just a thort.  

Sponiebr The Executor of Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Rotten, Stink'n, Awful, Very Bad Ideas and Sundry Services... 

( Ka-CHOW! ;)  )

Omg!  Thats wonderful Sponey....Ever since you said I could find them for $1.00 I've been going nuts looking every where!  I'm ordering them!  Oh I'm so happy!  Thankyou so much....I wuv you!

But I'm not plucking out any wicks.........That's something you would do.....not me....lol

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Omg!  Thats wonderful Sponey....Ever since you said I could find them for $1.00 I've been going nuts looking every where!  I'm ordering them!  Oh I'm so happy!  Thankyou so much....I wuv you!

But I'm not plucking out any wicks.........That's something you would do.....not me....lol

Trappeur

Yeah 72 jars WITH lids for $36 ain't terrible. (You'll get cool little clear plastic packages for them that all you'll have to do is pull out the paper insert and put YOUR insert into as well...) Regarding the reclaiming of wicks, I was thinking that might be a neat and extremely cheap experiment to find the right wick size?   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Adorable!!! Your cats crack me up

now the candle - that looks way bigger than a shot glass, maybe it's just the picture but it looks like a 16 ounce mason but skinnier

tealight wicks would be too short I would think...all the ones I ever used barely came up past the container unless you can order them longer 

Cd burns hotter in general - for votives I use lx mainly so maybe a  lx 8 or 10...

htp 31 could also work 

The jar is 1 3/4" tall x 1 1/2 at the widest part Moonshine.....But now that Sponey found the mason jars at Dollar tree I'm ordering them.  They are 2 3/8" wide x 2" tall so I'll be able to use a wick I probably have......thank you for your help.

And these cats sure do amuse me.  I have one, Maggie who fetches.  I tell her to go find her ball and she really does and I start throwing the ball  and she can do this for hours.  I'm going to try and make a video of her and figure out how to put it up here....It is soooo funny.  I'll try tomorrow.

Trappeur

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Yeah 72 jars WITH lids for $36 ain't terrible. (You'll get cool little clear plastic packages for them that all you'll have to do is pull out the paper insert and put YOUR insert into as well...) Regarding the reclaiming of wicks, I was thinking that might be a neat and extremely cheap experiment to find the right wick size?   

OMG, great idea to use the package to sell a pair of these cute candles.  Looks llike we will all be running to the Dollar Store today. lol

Goldie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

I hereby nominate Sponie (the Ebi) as Craftserver's official Dollar Tree Scout.

1 hour ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

I hereby nominate Sponie (the Ebi) as Craftserver's official Dollar Tree Scout.

:soapbabydance:HERE HE......HERE HE.....DAMN STRAIGHT.

tRAPPEUR

• Like 1

CD3 is Heinz Coreless' tea light wick and they don't make them smaller. There is an LX and Zinc wick for tea lights but I don't know if those are 'smaller' than the CD3. C&S has several tea light wicks so you could give those a try. Good luck. I found CD3's to burn the best in tea lights. But its possible that a Zinc might be the best in a jar as zincs burn cooler than cotton wicks.

PS - Bart looks like a gangly teenagel. Is he a trouble maker? Young cats drive me crazy with jumping on the tallest furniture and knocking things down and getting into mischief.

Munchkin sure has that stink eye down pat! LOL

Edited by Candybee

Wanted to add that I bet any flame in that size jar is going to look too large no matter how small a wick you use. On second look at the flame in the picture it doesn't look too bad. I would still try a few series of wicks to test out to find one that works best but I doubt you will get a 'mini' size flame to fit the smallness of the jar. Maybe the best you can hope for is a wick that doesn't overheat the glass. That's why I was thinking zinc or even LX.

Just remembered something else, zincs always gave the overall best HT out of any wicks I've tried, but they are prone to mushrooming.

Edited by Candybee

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

Wanted to add that I bet any flame in that size jar is going to look too large no matter how small a wick you use. On second look at the flame in the picture it doesn't look too bad. I would still try a few series of wicks to test out to find one that works best but I doubt you will get a 'mini' size flame to fit the smallness of the jar. Maybe the best you can hope for is a wick that doesn't overheat the glass. That's why I was thinking zinc or even LX.

Just remembered something else, zincs always gave the overall best HT out of any wicks I've tried, but they are prone to mushrooming.

Actually the cd 3 and cd 4 the flames were really really nice even though the wicks were both too large.  I use cd 4's for double wicking and I get them at Bittercreek.  Seems they are the only ones on the planet that carries them....but I noticed they have cd 2's....But the melt pool was too deep after a while, but the throw was super duper in that rediculous small candle.  But the jars were MAD hot......  I have never tried a zinc in my life.  What size do you recommend Candybee and where should I get?  ARe they just called Zinc?

Bart is what I would call an underdog....he is like a loner and some of the other cats pick on him I notice....his personality is he is so laid back and just so loving.  

Now Munchkin does her own thing.  And no one takes her shit or even tries to pick on her. She minds her own business all the time.  She is not a trouble maker but she just loves the heck out of me.  Actually they all do.  She is forever running down to the basement and picking out those little curly cues that comes in boxes for packing and she brings them upstairs and I find them laying all over the house...Even in my bed.....When I hear her crying in the basement which can be quite nerve racking, it means she has those white thingys in her mouth and is bringing them upstairs....So weird.

Trappeur

I've never heard of CD2's. Those would be worth giving them a shot. C&S and Lonestar carrie zincs. Zinc is pretty much the common name as the core is made of zinc metal. Zincs burn very cool and are generally not recommended for soy. I used them a lot in parasoy blends of up to 75% soy. But for that small a glass you need to at least consider 'cool' burning wicks. A tea light zinc could be perfect or it could drown out. C&S carries a lot of wick series. The most wick series of any supplier I know so I would check them out.

Re Munchkin-- my old kitty also cries with her mouth full of a small stuffed mouse sized toy. She cries, and cries, and looks both ways and slowly walks around the house mewling like a hurt animal until she drops off her 'kill' in front of me. LOL Cats...

Funny you should mention the other cats pick on Bart. I had an orange tabby that was the most laid back gentleman cat ever and the other cats picked on him and even chewed part of his ear tip off. He was so laid back I think you could light a match under his paw and he would probably have still looked up at me adoringly.

On 1/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, Trappeur said:

:soapbabydance:HERE HE......HERE HE.....DAMN STRAIGHT.

tRAPPEUR

Sounds like a PHENOMINALLY BAD idea! 

I'm IN! 

Speaking of DTs (Dollar Tree Scouting... o.O )  I saw those cool little mason jar mugs with lids that didn't have shaker holes in the top... Kinda neat and at 2x3x3 pretty good sized too. 

https://www.dollartree.com/Glass-Shaker-Jars-with-Handles-and-Metal-Lids/p360257/index.pro

• Like 1

I'm not finding those little shot glasses online at the dollar tree anymore- they were there before 

but look a this!!  These are the exact jars I have like 3 of that I have been searching high and low for many years....must be a over seas candle product, these are smaller than the 4 ounce squares CS came out with and I just love the little cursive mason ?

https://www.dollartree.com/Mini-Mason-Jar-Candles-in-Cranberry-Smash-Scent/p361952/index.pro

I used tea light wicks in mine and set them aside to cure and voila they disappeared!  My son nabbed them all when he came to visit, lol.  I will never get an accurate answer from him so I guess it's back to the drawing board.  Anything left out is fair game in my house.  BTW I had some tea lights that were long enough but ran out and now I'm having a hard time finding them.  I have no idea where I got them before.

9 hours ago, moonshine said:

I'm not finding those little shot glasses online at the dollar tree anymore- they were there before 

but look a this!!  These are the exact jars I have like 3 of that I have been searching high and low for many years....must be a over seas candle product, these are smaller than the 4 ounce squares CS came out with and I just love the little cursive mason ?

https://www.dollartree.com/Mini-Mason-Jar-Candles-in-Cranberry-Smash-Scent/p361952/index.pro

(ahem... It might interest you to know that "I" am the Dollar Tree scout... As duly appointed by random nomination and agreement above)  

You talk'n 'bout this?  https://www.dollartree.com/Cooking-Concepts-1-5-oz-Dessert-Shot-Glasses-3-ct-Packs/p340620/index.pro

BTW @moonshine those are the 2 ounce mason jars. I've seen them available before recently. (I can't remember where, but I think it was at Walmart) 

I found some interesting stuff there at DT today one of those things being https://www.dollartree.com/Plastic-Compartmented-Storage-Cases/p352679/index.pro

And a thing called a Turkey Lifter... basically a stripped down bare bones version of this but with more fundamental packaging... (yes it is possible, and I'm not kidding.) 

https://www.amazon.com/Turkey-Lifter-pack-Cooking-Concepts/dp/B005R4VI0U

I think I can cut a notch at the ends and drill a hole to put some screws so I can make a "cheese" lyre... A pair of them no less... I also got some vinyl place mats that I want to try to make loaf mold liners out of...

They also had some small silicone cake loaf "pans" there... They didn't look all that bad.

I gotta get down to the barn and do some lathe work on another project real quick before I get stupider tired than I already am.

Ciao!

Sponiebr (Mission Impossible Theme plays) Dollar Tree Scout & Executor of Bad Ideas and other duties as assigned.  

Edited by Sponiebr

@moonshine These might be it... I dunno I'll have to poke around an little more. I just remember seeing 2oz jars available somewhere. They might have been jelly jars though. 

Mom used to can my fox grape jelly in those little squat dinky fat mason jars to differential it from what "people" ate. (I was the only one that liked or ate Florida wild fox grape jelly.)   

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Half-Pint-Glass-Canning-Jar-Set-12pk/43184792?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=5d1066fe-72a3-4669-8a4e-4e53db685332&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=5d1066fe-72a3-4669-8a4e-4e53db685332&item_id=43184792&parent_anchor_item_id=16661824&parent_item_id=16661824&placement_id=irs-2-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=U_qrlR3EfBY9MKBJMhQaFE#about-item