What FOs are the most popular selling for you?

Candybee

Thought this thread might help those of us trying to figure out what is popular this holiday season with our customers/family/friends.

So far my top 10 sellers are (in order of sales):

1. Christmas Tree (using a combo of Fillmore's CT and CS Mistletoe)
  2. Nutmeg & Ginger
  3. Christmas Hearth
  4. Pumpkin Pie
  5. Apple Harvest
  6. Chocolate Fudge + Carmelized Pralines (I call it Reindeer Farts)
  7. Christmas Splendor
  8. Home for the Holidays
  9. Lullaby Lavender (CS lavender + baby powder
  10. Cedar Garland

Followed by average sellers:

1. Mulberry Spice
  2. Bayberry Apple Spice
  3. Cinnamon
  4. Frosted Gingerbread (my own blend)
  5. Cranberry Citrus
  6. Candy Cane

Slow movers:

1. Vanilla Bean Noel (so far haven't sold one!!)

I live in the Shenandoah Valley so we have lots of tourists from DC metro area who want 'country' type scents and plus the locals also tend to like the same scents. Everyone likes the vanilla but no one buys it. For the last 2 yrs. So I guess I will have to give up on that and try a cookie scent or something different next year.

I don't keep very good notes on what sells since I basically sell to a few schools, family and friends and people at banks etc. but my biggest sellers are

1. Leather-in wax and car fresheners 

2. Leather and vanilla bean blend-in wax and car fresheners 

3. Leather and cherry blend-wax and car fresheners

4. Leather and strawberry blend-wax and car fresheners 

5. Cool water-in car fresheners 

6. Black Ice-in car fresheners

7. Mulberry-FB

8. Banana Nut Bread (I've finally sold some of this! My favorite!)

9. Mrs. Claus Cookies

10. Chestnuts and Brown Sugar

My favorites are certainly not leather but it's Texas!

• Like 2

Wow! You do sell a lot of leather types! In my area it has not been a seller for me.. I've tried it several times and it never took off.

Today I did a Christmas Craft Bazaar and I sold a ton of soap but not one single candle! Now that is really odd! Especially this time of year!

But I have another Christmas market tomorrow on Sunday so we shall see what happens.

• Like 2

Lemon Verbena  (Flaming)

Limoncello (My own blend)  (Flaming)

Drunken Pumpkin (Flaming)

Lux Linen (Community C.)

Peach Nectar (CS)

Christmas Hearth (CS)

Macintosh Apple (CS)

Vanilla Bean Noel

Balsam Fir (Fillmore)

Pumpkin Pecan Waffles (TN)

Chardonnay (Flaming)

Vanilla Champagne (NG)

Basil - Sage - Mint

My apple orchard account I probably have 60 fragrances and no joke......there is no favorite.....as all are #1 sellers as anything I put

in the store sells....

Trappeur

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pcbrook said:

LOL!  That's what I was thinking.....that's a lot of leather!  Not that it is a bad thing!

I just wish I liked it! LOL! I LOVE pouring all the vanilla bean noel, banana nut bread, sugar cookie type scents but they are not good sellers for me. I still pour away though! 

It just blows my mind why someone would want their house to smell like leather. I can see their car smelling that way but not their house. Oh well, it sells for me and I guess I should be glad LOL!

• Like 3

For me it has been:

Apples & Maple Bourbon (CS)

Cinnamon & Balsam (Peaks)

Amish Harvest (Peaks)

Dickens Christmas (LS)

Lavender Sage Rosemary (Fillmore)

Nutmeg & Ginger (Fillmore)

Mistletoe (BCN)

Edited by pcbrook
  • Like 1

Cairns Sunset (Flaming)

Mermaid (my blend)

Baked Apples (Flaming renamed)

Twigs & Berries (??) I think I got it from Ebay, no name on the bottle, sad that I didn't write it on)

Christmas Hearth (I think CS)

Apples & Evergreen (The Candle Source)

Joyeux Noel (The Candle Source)

Sadly I renamed Oregon Pine Christmas Tree this year and now it's not selling?  Don't get it because everyone comments on what a nice pine scent is burning in the store.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Love this time of year....

Christmas Memories

Frasier Fir

Spiced Orange

Vanilla Bean Noel

Pumpkin Souffle (blend)

Winter Candy Apple

Winter Fairy

Cinnamon Stick

Country Gift Shop

it's fun to see what is selling for everyone.... :)

• Like 1

Wow! Several of you are selling VBN... I can't give it away here. Vanillas are just not popular in my area. I keep trying every year but its just not working for me. Its been a while since I did a cookie scent so I am gonna switch out the vanilla for a cookie type next year.

Does anyone remember when CS used to sell chocolate chip cookie FO? I used to sell a lot of that so I think I will be on the right track to try a cookie type next year. Too bad CS discontinued that scent. It was awesome!

For several years running my Christmas Tree FO has been my #1 seller. I think a lot of it has to do with me burning a Christmas Tree candle in my booth during the season so people can see how it burns and smells. Works every time. :)

• Like 1

Candy so you mix Fillmores Christmas Tree + CS Mistletoe ? Interesting, most of the blend is CT ? What does MT add to the scent, in your opinion. You come up

with some great blends ! Whats a good ration to start with on those w FO's ? CS had a chocolate chip cookie FO ? Id love to find a good Choc chip cookie FO 

Have you tried CS Snickerdoodle ? Everyone I've made wax melts for in Fillmore Lemon biscotti - loves it ! But I can't seem to get a good HT in candles ?

I think after the New Year Im going to test different wicks using 464 - CD's are tough for me to get right + they burn so hot ! Ive heard people on here love ECO 

wicks + Premiers . You use palm don't you ? What wicks do you like, I remember you said the lemon biscotti throws great for you . 

• Like 1

Vanilla was hard for me to sell in the beginning.  I've been using CC Vanilla Voodoo for years and years.  First I started with naming it Vanilla Bean and it didn't move that well.  Then I took back the candles and changed the labels to Vanilla Voodoo and they took off.  Now that I've found another vanilla which is my ultimate one "Vanilla Bean Noel" I named it in the beginning to Vanilla Fireside in one shop for the fall and Christmas it is renamed to White Christmas.   Another shop I sell to for the summer and fall it is called Vanilla Frosting and Vanilla Bean Noel for Christmas.    Another shop it is called Toasted Vanilla.  All the shops I sell to are custom labeled for their shop.

Trappeur 

• Like 3

Trappeur-- I've tried several different names for my vanilla candles. They used to sell fine at my WV shows but not at all in NoVA here in the valley. I know sometimes it just takes a new name or label to sell an item. But in this case its definitely a no go.

I was on Fillmore's site this morning and was eyeballing their oatmeal raison cookie FO. I need to make a run to PA and go to their showroom and smell all the fragrances again to make some new selections. There was a few I am interested in.

Moonstar-- yes I blend CS Mistletoe with Fillmore's CT. I use about 2 parts CT to one part Mistletoe. I do this blend because I like the eucalyptus in the Mistletoe and how it opens my sinuses when I burn the candle. It also smells awesome together. But I am also going to get some Fraser Fir for next year because I really like it. I do use palm container wax for my candles and CSN wicks from CS made for palm wax.

• Like 1

This is my first holiday season selling but Pumpkin souffle and apple harvest did really well for me before thanksgiving. I did a shop local sale the weekend after thanksgiving and this past weekend so ill see if sold any of the cinnamon candles and blue spruce candles i have.

I just made my own blend candles yesterday, along with Amaretto eggnog, and the other week I made apple maple bourbon. I cant wait to see how i did these past weekends and get my holiday scents into my booth. 

(all fragences are CS)

• Like 2

Siren I don't wait for the holidays to put out my Christmas scents.They go up along with my fall scents in early September. You'd be surprised how many holiday scents I sell early. Christmas tree candles sell out at all my shows in the fall. But I do agree that apple scents sell far better in the fall especially in October. They have tapered off a bit so I mix cinnamon and apple to sell for the holidays.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Siren I don't wait for the holidays to put out my Christmas scents.They go up along with my fall scents in early September. You'd be surprised how many holiday scents I sell early. Christmas tree candles sell out at all my shows in the fall. But I do agree that apple scents sell far better in the fall especially in October. They have tapered off a bit so I mix cinnamon and apple to sell for the holidays.

Yea, i had every intention of putting them out before the holidays but we bought a house and along with moving and the new puppy I am finally getting around to doing them. I hope to be better about it for next season though :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Candybee said:

Wow! Several of you are selling VBN... I can't give it away here. Vanillas are just not popular in my area. I keep trying every year but its just not working for me. Its been a while since I did a cookie scent so I am gonna switch out the vanilla for a cookie type next year.

I can't give away VBN either and this year Pumpkin Souffle is just sitting since the beginning of Oct, not 1 sold.

I've probably asked this before or I'm sure someone has, but what do y'all do with your candles/tarts/ etc. that don't sell? I've stored some of mine and brought them back out and they seem to be as strong as when they were first poured but some seem to fade. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've probably asked this before or I'm sure someone has, but what do y'all do with your candles/tarts/ etc. that don't sell? I've stored some of mine and brought them back out and they seem to be as strong as when they were first poured but some seem to fade. 

I use mine for fire starters. I melt and pour into cardboard egg cartons or I save the cardboard cartons from WSP that my FO's come in (Love those)

Out of curiosity - which FO's have stayed true + which faded ? 

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I use mine for fire starters. I melt and pour into cardboard egg cartons or I save the cardboard cartons from WSP that my FO's come in (Love those)

Out of curiosity - which FO's have stayed true + which faded ? 

I've thought about  making fire starters out of pine cones every year for the last couple of years and then I forget! I'll defiantly have to do that.

Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Santa Baby (JS), Country Christmas-NG, Balsam & Cedar NG, Cream Brûlée- Cajun, Cool Water-any supplier, Mango Tangerine NG, Monkey Farts-any supplier, Fruit Loops. I'd have to go look and sniff. That's about all I can remember right now but I know there's more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Belinda said:

I've thought about  making fire starters out of pine cones every year for the last couple of years and then I forget! I'll defiantly have to do that.

Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Santa Baby (JS), Country Christmas-NG, Balsam & Cedar NG, Cream Brûlée- Cajun, Cool Water-any supplier, Mango Tangerine NG, Monkey Farts-any supplier, Fruit Loops. I'd have to go look and sniff. That's about all I can remember right now but I know there's more

I am looking at the NG Balsam and Cedar that you mention did not sell.  What is your opinion of the scent?  Is it strong in melts?  Why do you think it didn't sell Belinda because I was thinking about order some....thanks :)

15 hours ago, Belinda said:

At the end of the season what didn't sell I do a half off sale. If you have priced your candles right it shouldn't hurt your business to do this. The pro side is that customers love a bargain and the half price candles sell quickly. This helps to sell off the merchandise and make room for new candles. It also gets me new customers and if I can get a new customer I can end up with a repeat customer. My repeat customers are the ones who spend the big bucks so its all good!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2016 at 5:43 AM, Terry said:

I am looking at the NG Balsam and Cedar that you mention did not sell.  What is your opinion of the scent?  Is it strong in melts?  Why do you think it didn't sell Belinda because I was thinking about order some....thanks :)

It sold for me pretty good. I was just going off of the scent of one of the clamshells that I had left and how it was still strong after a long period of time. I'd say it's strong in melts for sure in my opinion.

• Like 1