I'm Considering using 4lb. pour pots on an induction cook top?

I'm Considering using 4-lb. pour pots on an induction cook top?

I can precisely adjust the tempeture on each side individually in "5ºF degree" increments!

So For example I could have Soy Wax on one side; and paraffin on the other side

(or) Conversely I would have the ability to pour 2 different recipes or FO's at the same time

When doing smaller candles like Votive's.

This seems as it would be really convenient!

as it would reduce the need for a Presto-Pot and Reduce my Cost;

as well as reduce the Mess of transferring wax from presto to pour pot.

pourpots.jpg

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

I assume you would use the double boiler method of heating on a surface like this, So I would first find out if there is ample room/space for (2) double boilers without it become a safety issue.

After that, I dont see why you couldnt use it?  How much is it?

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

I assume you would use the double boiler method of heating on a surface like this, So I would first find out if there is ample room/space for (2) double boilers without it become a safety issue.

After that, I dont see why you couldnt use it?  How much is it?

I don't think I would need to use a double boiler Clear Black;

as I can control the Temp. of each burner precisely with a digital control panel;

in 5ºF degree increments as I stated in my original post if you missed that part.

So I can set; one burner to be 180ºF and the other 175ºF or any combination I desire.

it's about $160 from Overstock.com Clear Black.

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

2 hours ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

as I can control the Temp. of each burner precisely with a digital control panel;

in 5ºF degree increments as I stated in my original post if you missed that part.

So I can set; one burner to be 180ºF and the other 175ºF or any combination I desire.

Clear Black; Conversely; I could also set one to melt temp; and the other to pour temp. ;)

I got a Reply from Candle Science;

and they said the Nuwave Cooktop Should work;

But they would recommend doing a test batch First! :)

I may try to go this route; if it works it would save a lot of time

that is for sure! With the added ability to have 2 pour pots going at once!

as this cooktop allows you to precisely set it to 180ºF

(or) whatever Temp. you want!

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

Honestly, that induction top looks very limiting to me. Only 2 pots? And for that price?

I have a dozen pour pots going at once just using a big presto pot or two. can make 100 8 oz candles of varying scents and color in a couple of hours from start (wicking) to finish (capping) with a couple prestos. The big pots hold enough wax for 100+ melts or 25 (or so) candles with room to spare for like $35. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Honestly, that induction top looks very limiting to me. Only 2 pots? And for that price?

I have a dozen pour pots going at once just using a big presto pot or two. can make 100 8 oz candles of varying scents and color in a couple of hours from start (wicking) to finish (capping) with a couple prestos. The big pots hold enough wax for 100+ melts or 25 (or so) candles with room to spare for like $35. 

That sounds amazing, my biggest pet peeve in the process is waiting on batches to melt. I have two presto fryers, a 4# and 6#, but what sort are you referring to, TallTayl? I keep a double boiler going to regulate each pour pot for each batch as I go but it is terribly time consuming. I have 7 pour pots at the moment and often use them all but one at a time. So frustrating!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

Its not about controlling the heat, but the fact that you will have DIRECT HEAT on your pour pats. In terms of melting wax, that is a big NO NO. Which is why the double boiler method is standard, or presto pots in place of a DB.  If you are ok with melting your wax w/out using some form of a double boiler, then that is your decision. I myself would never think of doing any wax melting unless it was a form of DB or a form of Presto Pot.

And for $160, you could get 2.5 Presto Pots with a spigot or if you prefer not to have a spigot you could maybe get 4 Presto Pots. That to me would be a better investment and a safer way to melt wax without the risk of scorching the wax by direct heat.

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chariste said:

That sounds amazing, my biggest pet peeve in the process is waiting on batches to melt. I have two presto fryers, a 4# and 6#, but what sort are you referring to, TallTayl? I keep a double boiler going to regulate each pour pot for each batch as I go but it is terribly time consuming. I have 7 pour pots at the moment and often use them all but one at a time. So frustrating!

I have 3 of the presto big kettle and a couple of the original size prestos for wax. (The stainless version is reserved for B&B products.) I use them when I don't want to heat up the 50# melter, or when I don't want to switch the waxes out. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

Then again Candle Science sells a Direct Heat Wax Melter!!!

https://www.candlescience.com/equipment/melter-65lb

That melter from Candle Science is the same concept as a Presto Pot. 
I don't make candles, I make soap. Having said that I have worked professionally with melting large quantities of wax. While we didn't really care too much if the wax got off colored from burning or over heating we had to be very conscience about possible fires. We used the Presto Pots exclusively.  

The overwhelming opinion above seems to be direct heat will burn wax. That the best method is to use a presto or a double boiler. 

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Reads like your mind was already made up. Might as well jump on it and find out if it will work for you. 

^What TT said. 

o.O

Sponiebr the Executor of single use only Bad Ideas 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Any direct heat method that is not meant for oils is not a safe way to heat wax.

Sure it is. There are plenty of direct heat melters, people use presto pots which are direct heat. It would not be safe to put directly on a standard electric/gas burner...because they can not be controlled, however this can be and would be perfectly safe to do so.

I think i am about to buy a presto pot in order to get my candle making out of the kitchen lol, found this seller on another thread from years ago, the pot already has the spout for easy pouring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESTO-POT-WAX-MELTING-CANDLE-MAKING-WITH-SPOUT-NEW-/230797460143  price isn't bad either, i think it makes more sense than the two pour pots on the burner.

20 hours ago, Flicker said:

Sure it is. There are plenty of direct heat melters, people use presto pots which are direct heat. It would not be safe to put directly on a standard electric/gas burner...because they can not be controlled, however this can be and would be perfectly safe to do so.

I'll just have to agree to disagree here.  Presto pots are made for oil and deep frying, as are turkey fryers and commercial wax melters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Siren12 said:

I think i am about to buy a presto pot in order to get my candle making out of the kitchen lol, found this seller on another thread from years ago, the pot already has the spout for easy pouring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESTO-POT-WAX-MELTING-CANDLE-MAKING-WITH-SPOUT-NEW-/230797460143  price isn't bad either, i think it makes more sense than the two pour pots on the burner.

Hmmm...you got me thinking about this pot.  It's a good price too.  I wonder if anyone on the board has ordered this?

Trappeur

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'll just have to agree to disagree here.  Presto pots are made for oil and deep frying, as are turkey fryers and commercial wax melters.

Yes. They transfer and distribute heat differently than most direct heat options (such as burners.) otherwise we would have an awful lot of home kitchen fires. The engineering of the tool, more than direct heat itself, is what makes these so effective!

2 hours ago, Siren12 said:

Here's the thing about spouts ... the sealant will eventually come off, detach or appear to do so. You can either keep resealing it, think it's broke and buy a new one or you can go to Walmart and save $20 and shipping and just get you a presto pot and use something else to withdraw the wax out like a plastic cup. The other  thing to think about with prestos is that as you stir it will wear on the surface and cause it to flake ... it's something that just happens. However on the flip side, with the prestos, it saves on the electric bill a little bit. 

I've gone from the 10 pour pot system and rotation on my stove to prestos and it serves me just fine right now at least when the flaking stops. 

• Like 1

Since I'm using 4 lb. Aluminum Pour pots on this;

and induction works of off magnetic; I will have to put

my pour pots inside of a magnetic sauce pan as a double boiler anyway.

in order to get the induction technology to work!

But; the PLUS Side; of this setup would be that BOTH Burners are Individually

and precisely temp. controlled!

meltwax.jpg

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts