Need new labels and logo - and I love theirs!

ubure

Hi there,

I'm planning on a new logo and candle labels and while searching for inspiration I stumbled across this candle company:

http://producecandles.com/

I just love their labels, they are so fresh, clean, uplifting.....they remind me of the beach somehow (well, at the moment everything reminds me of the beach, I even dreamt I were at the ocean and cried and cried because I had to leave again...talk about being ready for a holiday :-))

Can you recommend any graphic designer who can do something similar for me? I want the colours of the sea in my labels, all the turquoise and seafoam greem and teal and mint and the corresponding summer colours like apricot and white and a soft yellow....and even though I know that quality has its price I'd appreciate somebody who doesn't charge a fortune for logo design. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Guest OldGlory

Edistosmom, very nice job on the label, the other packaging extras, and the terrific looking candles! Very professional.

I'm sure you have the net weight on the label (required by the FDA) on the bottom of the jar.

22 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

Edistosmom, very nice job on the label, the other packaging extras, and the terrific looking candles! Very professional.

I'm sure you have the net weight on the label (required by the FDA) on the bottom of the jar.

Shows how professional I am! I didn't have that on the label, but I will add it on tonight!  So far, I've only sold a few to friends and family. Sadly, I didn't realize it was a law to have it I. There, and I should have researched that. Thank you for telling me!

1 hour ago, OldGlory said:

FDA? On candles? Candles are neither a food or a drug. Did you mean FTC?

http://candles.org/membersonly/downloads/Candle Labeling Laws & Stds.pdf

Edited by TallTayl
Added link to candles.org

4 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Beautiful labels!  Well done and very professional and clean looking!

Trappeur 

Thank you very much! I just went in and added the weight. I researched it online and saw that I also needed to add weight in grams. Another post we were commenting on about the labels, and how to make various sizes and shapes---I found the solution! And it's cheaper than zazzle and Vistaprint (in the long run).... I bought a Canon Pixma MG6250 at target for $69.99 yesterday. I also bought Avery 18163 blank labels (pack of 100) for $4.69. Came home and downloaded Avery app on my iPad Air as well as an app called logo creator, and together, I'm printing labels out like crazy! I am recommending this route HIGHLY! It solved so many problems for me with labeling, and I even went in now and was able to very easily add the weight ?

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Absolutely gorgeous!  I wished I could do something like that.....

Well, as talented as your are with these labels why would you go and hire someone to do it for you?  You've done it.....You don't need anyone else.....Very impressive!

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta ask...

How are so many online candle companies (or local for that matter) getting away with so little info on their candles labels.

I have the federal guidelines printed out myself and learned from day one what info needs to be included. I'm not referring to

warning labels.. but the actual primary label.

...I've made sure of the following on all my labels:

net wt (ounces and grams)

name of the item (I.E. scented candle)

...and then on warning label making sure to include:

proper warnings

etc.

I keep seeing SOO many candle makers with simple labels, which I completely understand as often simple is more. But, they aren't meeting regulations.

Has something changed or have they just been skating by for now avoiding trouble?

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2016 at 2:48 PM, wthomas57 said:

I gotta ask...

How are so many online candle companies (or local for that matter) getting away with so little info on their candles labels.

I have the federal guidelines printed out myself and learned from day one what info needs to be included. I'm not referring to

warning labels.. but the actual primary label.

...I've made sure of the following on all my labels:

net wt (ounces and grams)

name of the item (I.E. scented candle)

...and then on warning label making sure to include:

proper warnings

etc.

I keep seeing SOO many candle makers with simple labels, which I completely understand as often simple is more. But, they aren't meeting regulations.

Has something changed or have they just been skating by for now avoiding trouble?

What do you mean by "location" on the warning labels? 

4 hours ago, Clear Black said:

What do you mean by "location" on the warning labels? 

My understanding is that if the address of manufacture isn't listed in the phonebook (Who uses a phonebook?), that the full address should be listed on a label somewhere.   If it can be found in the phonebook, the city, state, and zipcode should suffice.     It's been awhile though, so someone else will need to confirm that I'm remembering correctly.

Since this thread started, I've gone back to retail stores to look at labels from large companies.  They do not follow the guidelines at all.  Not saying we shouldn't, just saying.  I decided to just add my website which contains info needed if someone had to get in touch with me.  I couldn't fit all of it on my label.

Goldie

10 hours ago, KrisS said:

My understanding is that if the address of manufacture isn't listed in the phonebook (Who uses a phonebook?), that the full address should be listed on a label somewhere.   If it can be found in the phonebook, the city, state, and zipcode should suffice.     It's been awhile though, so someone else will need to confirm that I'm remembering correctly.

This is correct and what I meant. If you are not a big company with a registered business location address via google or phonebook... you are legally required to have it on your label. Silly... but its true and I see many not following that requirement. I dont know how "complete" of an address you need but I'm sure something is better than nothing. For example, mine say "Manufactured in Kansas City, MO, USA".  Now the location doens't need to be on your principle label (I.E. main label on your candle), but its supposed to be somewhere like your warning labels which is where mine is located.

@GoldieMN  You are correct... many big box candle companies are not following all the legal requirements either as far as labeling. They are either ignorant or intentionally taking that risk. We live in a sue happy time, so I'd prefer not to take that risk. And due to the wealth of information at easy access via google, etc.... playing dumb or claiming ignorance isn't really practical .

Do I think its absolutely silly what is required for candle labels? Yep  But I try to do it anyway. :)

10 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

This is correct and what I meant. If you are not a big company with a registered business location address via google or phonebook... you are legally required to have it on your label. Silly... but its true and I see many not following that requirement. I dont know how "complete" of an address you need but I'm sure something is better than nothing. For example, mine say "Manufactured in Kansas City, MO, USA".  Now the location doens't need to be on your principle label (I.E. main label on your candle), but its supposed to be somewhere like your warning labels which is where mine is located.

@GoldieMN  You are correct... many big box candle companies are not following all the legal requirements either as far as labeling. They are either ignorant or intentionally taking that risk. We live in a sue happy time, so I'd prefer not to take that risk. And due to the wealth of information at easy access via google, etc.... playing dumb or claiming ignorance isn't really practical .

Do I think its absolutely silly what is required for candle labels? Yep  But I try to do it anyway. :)

Yeah, I was thinking of going with the "claiming ignorance". . . :)

Goldie

I agree.... probably should be amended.

And I am sure to a lot of people its not a big deal to just not do it.

I dont like doing it.... but its not a big for me to just do it until/unless its no longer required.

I make my own custom warning labels so I can include other info I want anyways. So its no issue to just add that info while I am at it

27 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I just use city, state, and phone number.  Probably wrong on on levels.

What really grinds my gears is people that use the container size as their net wt. 

That is all I use as well. 

And I agree...... using container size as net wt is probably the biggest no no. 

But that is also the one that people dont get away with for as long. Been numerous law suits over that one.

Its blatant false advertising to get a competitive edge

I would be very uncomfortable putting anything more than what I already have. Under the main business name, I have "Made in Westbrook, Me." Then on the sides of my tins I have email address and one other social media address. If someone needs to contact me because I sold a few candles at a craft fair there is plenty of options IMHO. Im am such a small potato at this point Im jump up and down when a family member asks for a candle ive made rather than buying from our local YC. So until im competing on a larger level, nobody will know my home address lol. Sorry, thats a bit rediculous to ask someone who is small timey to include a personal address for any psycho to come look for me because my candle didnt smell enough, or whatever the reason.

• Like 1