Dont need to test, it's easy to make a candle

*Dee*

Ugh, some people make me want to pull my hair out. she asked where to buy wicks, wax, scent, color etc on fb. i replied with research, research, research and test, test, test and to make sure before selling she gets at least one million in insurance but 2-3 million if she can. this was her reply lol

post-9020-139458514565_thumb.jpg

I tried, I seriously tried. I told her I researched for a few months before deciding what type of wax to try first and then it was at least 6 months testing before i even felt comfortable enough to give one away. and then the insurance, she said she is friends with other chandlers who have told her my comment was way out there. Then i told her to join a candle forum thats what I did and it helped me a lot with research etc and she said I do not need to i have other chandlers who are giving me advice and helping me and numbers to call if i need help. lol yeah these are probably the same chandlers telling you to get your wicks and waxes from micheals and other craft stores lol yeah she ended up deleting me. but i'll be damned if i'm giving away my secrets and formulas to someone who cant do any research on their own let alone test.

I would have kept her as a friend and when she posted photo's of her candle failures, and her frustrations on not understanding why her candle won't burn like a store one...I would have been the first one commenting a big "LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO tried to tell ya, good luck with that" post lol crap, I thought you said you deleted her. darn...my thoughts won't work then lol

Edited by debratant

I would have kept her as a friend and when she posted photo's of her candle failures, and her frustrations on not understanding why her candle won't burn like a store one...I would have been the first one commenting a big "LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO tried to tell ya, good luck with that" post lol crap, I thought you said you deleted her. darn...my thoughts won't work then lol

The likelihood with this person is they won't post pictures of failures. If they look ok they will sell them, it won't be until someone sues her that they realised they screwed up. I've had the same problem today with a friend, he's just out of rehab and needs a hobby so wants to do candles, I told him to research etc but everyone else posting was saying it's easy, they do it with their 3 year old kids so candle making is not hard. I give up with some people, i honestly do.

I just came in from my shop and was TESTing some new ideas. Its not easy at all. We have been doing it since 1999 as a hoby and back then we tested even though it was for personal use. I just spent $20 on testing and did not like the out come so in the waste bucket it all went. Good luck, on a lighter note I think I made some head way on my tarts :)

I don't get it. If its so darn easy for her and she has all these helpful candle making friends why was she asking you how to make them?

You were right not to give away your trade secrets. I usually do the same thing. Tell people I started out researching and found out a lot of info through the internet and suggest they do the same.

I don't get it. If its so darn easy for her and she has all these helpful candle making friends why was she asking you how to make them?

You were right not to give away your trade secrets. I usually do the same thing. Tell people I started out researching and found out a lot of info through the internet and suggest they do the same.

She posted the question on her facebook. I just happened to be the only one who posted without telling her what she wanted to hear lol everyone else was sending her to local craft supply store.

lol I JUST had the same experience about a week ago with a "friend" on facebook. She wanted to know where she could have a container refilled because the candle was gone but she really liked the container. Of course the replys were hobby lobby and michaels and just do it yourself. Well I have been researching this for almost a year, and STILL haven't given any candles away for others to test, so I replied to PLEASE be careful as a fire could happen quickly ( along with how much testing and research needs to be done before pouring a candle)...long story short, she deleted my comment, and everytime my husband's fire pager alarms, (he's a fireman), I think of her, and if she tried to make her own cheap candle..:) Sometimes, you just can't fix stupid!

I hope she doesn't sell. the whole idea of insurance is to protect the ones that are injured through your product. If a million is too much, then she's saying the lives of her customers don't mean much. I hope she never hurts anyone, but if she does, that facebook page needs to be on a poster 4 feet tall for the jury to see.

Dave I totally agree dear buddy!!

HEY! Girlfriend!

I hope you and Mom and Amber have a superb and wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. Betty and I will be spending a quiet year at home, which is better than the previous three "Turkey-Days" we "enjoyed" in hospitals! The only thing that will stress me out is the thought of so many of my kinsmen (Toms) and Kinswomen (Hens) who be shoved into hot ovens! OUCH!!!

Silly old me!

Hugs and Kisses and Hugs and some more Kisses!

Gobble Gobble!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We have books like that here too, but you know, if it were that easy, that's all they need right?

Agree, but then they think they can sell and that's when disaster happens. A friend of one of my friend refused to buy a candle from me because time ago she bought a cute candle in a coconut shell, it took fire, and started to burn the piece of furnitures around it.

So... I can't stand books and people like that!

Edited by cybersix

When I was about 9 yrs old my brother (11 yrs) and I made our first candle out of canning wax and kite string. Back then you could only buy the canning wax. It is nothing but straight paraffin so it was good to use. My brother figured out how to prime the kite string by soaking it in the wax. We used a milk carton for our candle mold.'

That candle came out perfect and we burned it that weekend in our tree fort for light. It was brilliant and we were so proud of that candle! It actually burned pretty good for a pillar candle.