Wipe or Wash

How many using a soy wax just wipe out your pour pots? I've been taking the extra

step since I started this many years ago and wash each pot and spoon after each

scent. Now I'm thinking I could seriously save some time and wipe them out and just

wash the spoons...if my ocd doesn't kick in

It depends on fragrance. I tend to wash with hot soapy water if I am doing a floral followed by a spice. But if the fragrance famikies are same, I wipe out hot pots with paper towels.

Wipe with paper towel only. Don't worry about residual FO, it's gone by the time the next batch of wax is heated up.

Ditto- I have never done more than viva paper towel- never had any scent even come close to mixing with the next batch- if the wax starts to harden in the pot I set it on my griddle and dump the liquid in the garbage and paper towel wipe and move on to the next- I do the same with my glass measuring cups for FO- paper towel wipe only

In the many, many years I've been making candles, I've never used anything but paper towels to wipe out my pots. I go from immediately wiping out the current batch and starting another, with no lingering scent problem. :cool2:

"I wipe with paper towels and put it back on my doubleboiler and wipe again and let it sit there for a while and the scent cooks off." SueH

I used to use wet wipes galore...I don't anymore. Basically I do the same as you, SueH. Scent doesn't transfer to the next batch.

Edited by marcuset

I've really been wasting my time all because of obsessions...I can't tell you how hard it was to walk away from those cloudy looking (I use glass) pour pots...but I did it!

I think it will get easier now that I did it once.

The "Candle Fairies" blessed me. I have a shop neighbor and good buddy who sells me washed/used white cotton towels or $4.00 for a bag that is so heavy, my wife has a problem lifting it.

NOPE! Sorry! I have to place my order with him about a month in advance and he always tells me, I was lucky (As if I didn't already know!) to get them! It's a little melodrama we play out every other month or so. I can accept no offers to; "Can you get me some?" (lol)

I have to tell you here, that a clean white and well washed cotton towel sure does put old "Bounty" to shame in our little candle-making room!

I'm planning on increasing my "orders" and stocking up and stashing them, just in case.

As a thought; I've seen plenty of used cotton towels quite cheap in thrift shops, yard sales, ect.

If I were a soy chandler or soaper I would buy them, use them and haul them to a laundromat and wash & dry them!

JMO/HTH

Dave

Awwww Dave but that would mean ANOTHER step in the process....hauling my butt to the laundromat! Lol

That is a good idea to save on $ and the waste in the garbage every week- I do use microfiber cloths to wipe up my work area and polish up my presto and stir sticks and scale, etc when I am done and know I won't be making any for a couple days- I hate messes- but they work fabulous and I do use soy so what little goes on them I do wash at home - don't tell my husband....mister septic cleaner himself would bury me in one! Lol

Awwww Dave but that would mean ANOTHER step in the process....hauling my butt to the laundromat! Lol

That is a good idea to save on $ and the waste in the garbage every week- I do use microfiber cloths to wipe up my work area and polish up my presto and stir sticks and scale, etc when I am done and know I won't be making any for a couple days- I hate messes- but they work fabulous and I do use soy so what little goes on them I do wash at home - don't tell my husband....mister septic cleaner himself would bury me in one! Lol

That's why they have laundromats isn't it! For washing really shi**y stuff, that you don't want to wash at home. My wife was a PT night manager at a local LM here for years. She told me "David! You would not belive the crap some people bring into wash! It's amazing."

She was always bringing home "good" jewelry too. She would hold it for a week and stash it in her box. (Jewelry)

I have those nice white towels that Costco sells and I have used them but hate laundromats so gave up on using them....not going in my washer! They do work awesome, it was the only time I felt

like I could walk away without washing.

I've been doing good, a whole week my cloudy pour pots have just sat without me washing them! I think I may be over it now.