When did you start?

ScentedPleasurez

I started in the spring of 2017, I thought it would be easy and a great way to save money on candles. I have never been more wrong about anything in my life. Now I’m broke, I have a few serviceable candles around the house and I have a serious FO addition.

• Haha 4

I started making novelty candles when I was about 13 years old in my parents' basement.  Worked with whipped wax, too.  Back then (pre-internet!  gasp!)  paraffin was the only type of wax available, and hobby / craft retailers were the only place to get supplies.

Fast forward to young adulthood, and I began experimenting with paraffin pillars, tarts, votives, and containers.  Focused on containers.  Then began experimenting with container soy.  Been selling for several years now.

• Like 1

I think it was late 2015 when I started playing around with candle waxes and container candles, particularly soy. It was actually my husband that got me going with the hobby. He said since I love candles so much, and buy them all the time, I should make my own. He started buying supplies for me and I was hooked.  🎣 :D

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, Laura C said:

I think it was late 2015 when I started playing around with candle waxes and container candles, particularly soy. It was actually my husband that got me going with the hobby. He said since I love candles so much, and buy them all the time, I should make my own. He started buying supplies for me and I was hooked.  🎣 :D

Awww, what a nice and supportive (and enabling? 🤣) husband!

I started in 2016, but stopped because grad school and full time job was taking SO much of my time. Now, I'm finished with grad school and started a new job that allows me more free time, so hey, why not? Family and friends are still my go-tos for testing and such, but I'm hoping to launch officially next year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YellowButterfly said:

I started in 2016, but stopped because grad school and full time job was taking SO much of my time. Now, I'm finished with grad school and started a new job that allows me more free time, so hey, why not? Family and friends are still my go-tos for testing and such, but I'm hoping to launch officially next year. 

Yes, he sure is, he's a keeper. LOL. Congratulations on finishing your degree and your new career, that's great. Making candles and all this crafty stuff is so much fun. ☺️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YellowButterfly said:

YB - what did you study in grad school?  I started cnalde-making in 1999, ran the business for five years and then got bored with manufacturing so got my M.S. in Psych.  I've been in private practice for five years and now miss being creative so I'm pouring again.  It's the five year itch I guess.

21 hours ago, Laura C said:

Yes, he sure is, he's a keeper. LOL. Congratulations on finishing your degree and your new career, that's great. Making candles and all this crafty stuff is so much fun. ☺️

Thank you! Yes, it is so much fun. 

1 hour ago, Arch Rock said:

YB - what did you study in grad school?  I started cnalde-making in 1999, ran the business for five years and then got bored with manufacturing so got my M.S. in Psych.  I've been in private practice for five years and now miss being creative so I'm pouring again.  It's the five year itch I guess.

Hey there, Arch Rock. I studied Library & Information Science. Works out 'cause I'm a librarian. 😀 I unofficially minored in Psych during undergrad because I took so many Psych courses.