Let's Get to Know Each Other!

Just answer whatever questions you feel comfortable with :) It'd be nice to get to know you all a little better.

What's your name? Lauren

How old are you? 21

Where do you live? A suburb near Houston

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been testing since last December.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I became obsessed with candles after buying a Mint Chocolate candle from B&BW. I had never smelled a candle with a unique scent like that. I was just used to the typical apple pie, ocean breeze type scents. I just got curious about how you would make a candle. I did some research and thought hey...maybe I'd enjoy doing that. I thought it might be a fun way to get some extra money on the side.

Are you married? Any kids? I am not married, but I've been with my boyfriend for three years. We have a dog named Jelly...who is pretty much like a daughter to us haha.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work at the college I attend. I work at the ticket office and sell tickets to all the sporting events.

Anything else we should know?

-I am originally from Iowa, but moved to Houston a year ago with my boyfriend.

-I am a proud auntie. I have two nephews and one niece.

-The world is SO small. I found out that another member on here, Mzphee, is my boyfriend's 2nd cousin!!

What's your name? Debbie

How old are you? 43

Where do you live? in South Jersey right across river from the philly airport

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Since 07 I think?

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I got hurt at my previous job...went a year with no pay, started getting a wee bit depressed and having some anxiety...My family doctor said I needed a hobby to take my mind off of the stress of my injury. I went for a massage and she used essential oils. It relaxed me so much that I started thinking maybe I should be smelling these all the time LOL...so started making melt and pour soap. That progressed to CP soap, then to candles...and now my FO addiction ;)

Are you married? Any kids? Yes, been married for 12 years...but together 24 years. No kids but a yellow lab named Primo.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I put myself thru real estate school last fall..and am now doing that full time.

-I am originally from michigan, moved to NJ in 1987 after I graduated high school

-I'm an outdoor girl. Love to fish, hunt and target shoot...but can't do much of that with my bum arms.

-I'm a history channel, discovery channel, travel channel junkie.

What's your name? Karen

How old are you? 48 in a week or so.

Where do you live? A suburb near Kansas City, MO

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I made M&P and bath salts and such as gifts for years. I have been playing/testing/making melts for a few months.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I was buying and buying tarts/melts from companies large and small. A crafty friend encouraged me to try it myself.

Are you married? Any kids? Married. 2 grown children. 3 grandchildren and our 4th will arrive late November.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I have been with my corporation, here in Kansas City, for over 26 years (you may be in our loyalty program!). I am in Marketing and Advertising. I am happy to review anyone's marketing, branding or advertising materials here as my gift-nothing needed in return.

We own 3 little female Chihuahuas.

laurenscandlebakery

Enigma

Dec 2011

Houston, TX

Let's Get to Know Each Other!

Just answer whatever questions you feel comfortable with It'd be nice to get to know you all a little better.

What's your name? Dawn

How old are you? 41

Where do you live? SE Michigan

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 4 years - candles and melts

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? After realizing how much $ I was spending on Yankee melts and the crash of the economy in 2008 ( we are self employed) I decided I was going to make my own melts and sell them! LOL we all know hiw that goes.....4 years later and I am starting to sell but it is not near a real business yet but I am addicted and LOVE the craft

Are you married? Any kids? I am married- 19 years and my daughter is in her first year at college and my son is 16

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My husband owns a grading & Excavating company and we now have a septic service division- a landscape supply division ( we make our own mulch) and a directional drilling division and we took over his grandfathers Christmas Tree business 5 years ago - I do all the books and manage the office and pull my hair out every day - candles lets me breathe and relax!

-I am big into horses- I own 2 at the moment / my daughter did the equestrian team thru middle and high school and has 2 state champion runs under her- she mainly does all the speed events and western pleasure- I simply trail ride and miss the role of show mom so much! My son is a gifted xcountry/track runner and plays basketball so I am always at some sporting event

I have a mini doxie- a very old deaf lab and 2 cats- I occasionally rescue horses and 1 of the cats I have is a rescue- if I could I would take in every horse and cat I came across!

What's your name? Janet

How old are you? I'll be 30 on Thursday :)

Where do you live? Albuquerque, NM

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been making candles for 7 years, soaps since late last year, and lotions since somewhere in the middle (don't remember exactly when)

Are you married? Any kids? I am married and have two children from a previous marriage.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I used to live in SW Louisiana, and we had a lovely shop there that supplied specialty candles for certain religious groups. Then a hurricane hit, the shop didn't have enough insurance, and folded. No one else carried those candles. So I started making my own. I moved a few years after that and decided to make it into a full business.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I make candles and soaps and other various crafts to sell at shops.

I love learning and reading. I often feel like a mad scientist with doing the work I do. I also love making things with my hands, but strangely never thought I had the talent for any of it. Then my husband came along and pushed me into the right direction.

I have a special kitty named Weasel, and am very much a cat person, although I love all sorts of animals. And I'm the proud owner of a rats nest type of brain. I absorb the weirdest bits of knowledge. Although this makes me good at trivia, it doesn't seem to help with much else.

What's uour name? Diane

How old are you? 53

Where do you live? South Jersey right across the river from Philly (Deb? I wonder if we are practically neighbors?)

How long making candles/soap whatever? Been making candles/ air freshener products for over 3 years

Are you married? Any kids? Was married for over 20 years, got divorced and 7 years later we got back together. We are still actually divorced but I still call him my husband, just don't have that peice of paper that says so yet lol Have 2 daughters ages 32 and 28 and a 9 year old grandson

How did you get started making candles/soap/ whatever? I have always loved crafts and just decided to read up on candlemaking. Found this website.........kept reading and reading and learning from all the great people here and went with it.

If candlemaking isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work part time at Petsmart because I love animals and needed some extra money.

Anything else we should know? I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. If I had the room in my home and the money to afford it I would have lots more!

What's your name? Jeremy

How old are you? 33

Where do you live? St. Louis

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Last weekend was our first attempt so 2 days!

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? My wife and I LOVE candles. It may be girly for a guy to say but I don't care! I love them!

Are you married? Any kids? Yes / Not yet

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Graphic design coordinator in the real world.

Anything else we should know? Just that after our first attempt at pouring we are really overwhelmed by how complex and difficult it seems to be to get the results you want. It seems like there will be a lot more experimenting than we expected. We are starting this as a hobby but hoping make it a side business sometime in the future.

What's your name? Holly

How old are you? 49

Where do you live? Eastern Washington

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 8 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Gold Canyon candles way back when started my real love for candles. I wanted to be a distributor for Gold Canyon candles when we moved north, but I could not get in with them as a distributor since there could only be so many per population and square miles and there was a girl already doing it in this area. I did not want to be a consultant...I wanted stock at that time. They no longer have the distributor program now. I went looking for another company, but I could not find any that I really liked that offered the right program. So I came up with the big idea to create my own candle line. It took me about a year to develop my first line, and I started selling in Nov. of 2005. My products did change over time. I was in the biz for five years and developed many products. I ended up with severe burnout and lack of profit to make the time and effort worth it. Long story. It was consuming my life. I closed my biz in 2010 to look into other endeavors. Nothing seemed to work out in the way of selling for other companies. My heart just was not in it. I just reopened a few months ago after being closed for 2 years. I am taking it one day at a time and not pressuring myself this time around and keeping it in perspective and balanced with my other responsibilities I have.

Are you married? Any kids? Married (20 years) 2 Girls (16 & 13)

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I have been a stay-at-home mom for 16 years other than group fitness instructing which I retired from doing in 2009 due to the biz and other responsibilities in my life. I wanted to teach until I was 50 but something had to give at that time. I recently starting looking to get back into the workforce.....not because I want to, but because I have to to help supplement our income. I feel terribly out of the loop, and it is hard to rev it up at 49 to go back into the workforce.

Anything else we should know? I am originally from San Diego, CA. We moved North in 2004 and never looked back! I am a country girl and an animal lover and have 3 horses (Clydesdale, Fox Trotter & Quarter Horse), 3 dogs (Yellow Lab, Choc. Lab & a Pug), 3 cats, and 3 fish tanks (have a breeding pair of Angelfish and have babies right now - they are great parents!). Not sure why everything is in threes. They all keep me busy along with my family and home. I study natural horsemanship and have a great love for draft horses!

Edited by Holly

What's your name? Melissa

How old are you? 28

Where do you live? Southern WV

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 2 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I bought some candles that were made here locally, and was utterly disappointed. I could smell nothing but wax burning, and it only made it worse when my sister came over and told me my house stunk! I am a bit of a perfectionist and thought surely I could do better! So I started researching, found the local supply, went and got some wax and scent, came home and slapped some tarts together, and they too were horrible! So I researched more, went back to the candle supply, this time the owner was there, and she was kind enough to take me into their candle company workshop and show me some stuff!! Batch #2 actually made it past the trash can to the tart warmer! I kept on til I perfected my crumbles, then started trying other things. I am still most comfortable making tarts, but slowly I am learning. I do love my "job"!

Are you married? Any kids? I am very happily married to my high school sweetheart, we have 4 sons, they are 14, 12, 8, and 3.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I worked for several years as a CNA. My husband went back to school, when he graduated I quit my job and have been a stay at home mom ever since!

Anything else we should know? I give God the glory for all the things I have in my life. We have been through enough to know he will take care of us. My husband and I are youth leaders in our church, he is a preacher, as well as my oldest 2 sons. There is nothing in this world that gives me joy in my heart as much as telling kids about Jesus, and watching him work in their lives!

What's your name? Christina

How old are you? 29 and holding.. OK 35

Where do you live? Virginia Beach, VA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 2005

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Decided to start doing it after realizing how much money I was dumping over to Yankee for candles that most of the time didnt burn all the way down and would leave film of wax around the jar. Since I was newly married ( 2nd time around) I wanted to be able to dabble in stuff at home and not have to work outside the house

Are you married? Any kids? Married 7 years, My kids are furbabies. 5 dogs ( 1 rottie mix, 4 doxies) , 3 cats and 1 bird.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? its my job :)

I am huge into animal rescue working with several on fb. I spend countless hours helping rescues pull from shelters, contacting rescues about certain dogs in shelters that are on the PTS list. I do a bunch of fundraisers with them, donate to help those in need for animals etc. I just had gastric bypass July 2nd, and I have lost 73 lbs. If you don't like animals, the odds of us getting close are slim to none :) LOL

Great idea on starting this thread Lauren!! And yes.......there are quite a few of us animal lovers here on the board :)

I also forgot to add to my list of animals that I have a Chipmunk. Saved the little guy over a year ago when my husband saw him spinning around in circles on the sidewalk in front of my house. He was just a baby at the time and could tell his was totally petrified......maybe got seperated from his mom.....I don't know. I got 2 cages and connected them together because they seem to need lots of space to move around.

He is now getting his little cubby all fixed up and ready to hibernate so I don't really see him much lately.

I did try and let him go 2 days after finding him since he is not a domestic critter but he wouldn't go......he walked out of the cage.....freaked out and ran back in the cage soooo he has a forever home with me :)

What's your name? Tami

How old are you? Soon to be 45

Where do you live? North and East of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?

Soap, 10 years, Candles about 18 months

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?

I got into making soap by reading, reading, reading. Before we moved from Eastern Pa to Western Pa my Aunt took a soap making class. I missed the cut off date for the class, so I didn't get in, but she gave me her class notes and recipe and then invited me over to watch her and some friends make soap. It was another 2 years before I took the plunge and made it myself, but now my soap is all I use.

Candles? Well, I always bought scented candles, but I could never see paying the price for the large ones, so I only bought small ones. I quit my job about 3 years ago and I was very depressed. I loved that job, I mean really loved that job, but my boss was and still is a nightmare. She treats people like dog s*** on her shoe!! Anyway, I had had kidney surgery that year as well, and the doctor was a nightmare and I ended up with "simple" surgery leaving me ill for 6 months and in a tortured pain (doctor only cared about the money, not my health/well being). So I left my job, I just couldn't do it anymore and in my state of depression I was burning candles for peace, and for the scent as well. Well, I burned a LOT of crappy candles. I bought one that I loved the scent, but then the company stopped making it and I couldn't find another one like it. So, I decided to try to make my own, and the rest is history.

Are you married? Any kids? Married, 21 years, My son is 20, my daughter is 16

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do?

I spent my life with animals and studied Animal Behaviorism and Equestrian Education in my college years, then burned out in the Horse World and went back to college for Accounting. After that I flaked and realized that putting on panty hose and working in an office is a Torture Nightmare for me (I'm an artist), Once I stepped into the kitchens at Culinary School I knew I was home, that was the life for me. I am a Professional Pastry Chef and Baker, but I no longer work in the industry. I can't afford to travel for work, and my husband travels, so my work has to be local. I have exhausted my local opportunities and am now moving on.

My other love is Pottery, and I'm an Intermediate Potter, sitting at the wheel and working clay is one of the most Zen experiences and I recommend it to everyone!! I am also an accomplished Cake Designer/Decorator and Textile Artist.

My problem is I love doing it all, I can't just sit down and "do" one Art form, so I now call myself a "Process Artist".

UUUmmmm, I keep chickens, read, A LOT, make herbal concoctions from my garden, I love my gardens, I have two dogs, two cats, and I'm a deep thinker and have a dark and twisted sense of humor, which is why I love British Tv over American Tv.

Edited by Chefmom

What's your name?
Jill

How old are you?

Where do you live?
Lubbock, TX

By accident actually. My sister and I purchased an existing business and she was going to make the candles and I was going to keep the books, handle sales, delivery, purchase supplies etc. Then she had to have surgery 2 weeks after we started so I got to do everything for a while.

Are you married? Any kids?
Marriesd almost 24 years. 21 year old son, 12 year old daughter. 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's it right now.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am an accountant by day and have no arts and crafts capability, at least I didn't. lol

I am a huge Texas Tech Red Raiders football fan. Very hard to focus on the weekends for me during football season but somehow we manage to get things done in spite of it.

Edited by redraider

What's your name? Christine

How old are you? 33

Where do you live? Missouri

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? A little over 5 years. Soap and lotions within that time frame as well.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I started out of sheer boredom. I was working a full time job while going to school part time and I guess I didn't have enough on my plate creatively speaking. I've always enjoyed fragrance in all its forms (esp perfumes). A friend wanted to go into business together, but that didn't pan out. I'm very much a research the heck out of something and she wanted to jump, jump, jump. Guess steady wins the race as she has since moved on to other things and I'm still poking along nicely. :)

Are you married? Any kids? Not married, though technically I should be. I've been with my boyfriend for about 7 years now. No kids. We have two cats and one dog.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Freelance graphic/web designer.

-I recently moved from Iowa to Missouri with my boyfriend.

-I'm a beauty junkie. I really love makeup. Seriously. Love it.

-I can play the flute but would really love to learn the piano (can play right handed, but need to learn the left hand) and violin.

-I LOVE to cook. That includes just throwing random ingredients together and looking forward to the outcome.

Guest OldGlory

What's your name? Laurie

How old are you? 56

Where do you live? Smoky Mountains of TN

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? since 2001

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I started making aromatherapy candles using essential oils and soy wax. Soon changed to fragrance oils in candles. Then M&P soaps, crystal potpourri, wax melts/tarts, bath salts, bath truffles, bath bombs, lotions, body butters, body sprays, room sprays, aroma bead sachets and ornies, lotion bars, CP soap, incense, other sachets, lip balm, and I'm sure I've missed a few other adventures, lol.

Are you married? Any kids? Divorced and happy. No kids other than the 4 legged variety.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am in retail management, have been for most of the last 30 years. My business supported me for about 5 years, from 2002-2007, and then the economy tanked. All but one of my wholesale clients closed.

Anything else we should know? I am also an animal supporter. I've had dogs most of my life, and can't imagine my life without my furkids. I'm new on this forum, but have been around for years on other message boards. It's nice to read about you wonderful people!

What's your name?
Dessa

How old are you?

Where do you live?
Arizona

about 2+ years (since my join date) - I only make tarts & sprays as a hobby

I was so tired of the hot weather and because fall is my favorite time of year I was on the hunt to find some pumpkin scented candles that I could burn to create my own fall. Somehow I stumbled onto this board and ended up ordering about 30 different pumpkin scented FO's, wax, supplies and the whole enchilada to make tarts and am still making them today.

Are you married? Any kids?
I have been married for 17 years, and we have a 14 year old (Megan) and an 11 year old (Garrett), hence my username Megandgarr.

I work full time for a large corporation handling projects and acting as a legal liaison. I have been there for 18 years.

I have 2 loveable dogs and a kitty kitty, I love all things Disney and I love decorating in my spare time. My husband says we have lost square footage in our house because I have painted, painted & repainted the walls so many times. I will paint just about anything I can get my hands on, including my countertops.

What's your name? Pennie

How old are you? 47

Where do you live? Rural PA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been making candles since 2004

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? My husband got me a candle making kit for Christmas one year and it kinda blossomed from there

Are you married? Any kids? I have been married for 25 years have 1 daughter (24) and one son (21)

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Candles

What's your name?
Kim

How old are you? 47

Where do you live?
Upstate NY

Since 2003

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Was looking for my Niche and bought myself a candle making kit and it blossomed from there.

Are you married? Yes...28 years in January

Any kids? Yes..one
daughter 24 and a granddaughter 4mos.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I own a seasonal ice cream shop

I had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago and lost 120lbs and feel great! I have a little pomeranian that will be 13 in February..I love animals too!

What's your name? Danice

How old are you? 30

Where do you live? Central Illinois

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 3 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I was lookin for a way to make some extra cash,lol,how easy i thought it would be!Now i'm addicted but so far only make enough to reinvest in it and keep it going

Are you married? Yes,2 years

Any kids? Yes,one daughter,she's 4.

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Stay at home mom(for now)

Anything else we should know? I love to read.I hate gossip.I love wine and dancing.My favorite band is Incubus and I love old movies!I named my candle business after my brother and a friend of mine who both died in a car accident in 2004.I hope someday I can make a decent source of income from candle making but for now I am just thankful my husband puts up with it and shells out a little moolah when I want to try something new!Also,I LOVE craft server!I have learned so much here!!!!

What's your name? Domonique

How old are you? 48 (Like wine i get better with time!)

Where do you live? Washington D.C.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 2003 Started with bath salts and lotions, Then on to soap and other stuff.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I actually started because I was and I am still a bath and body junkie. I grew sick and tired of buying stuff that was either, expensive, bad for my skin or just terrible. In one of my rants my husband looking up from a book he was reading said why don't you make your own! Being one to take a dare (especially from a know it all husband) I left the house that minute and went to the library a check out 10 book on the subject! Then I ordered everybook I could online and made him pay for it since he suggested that I should make my lotions and stuff! :) I then took some classes on soap making and here I am. I make everything that I need and love, then Mr. Smartie came back and then told me to sell the things that had started to make. This was three years later. So not I have a line of soaps 24 organics and 25 with fragrances, shea butter, massage oils and more. I won't sell it if I don't like it or if it not good. I love the art and it is an art of soaping making, candle making anything that will make our lives less stressful.

Are you married? Any kids? If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Anything else we should know? I am happily married to the most supportive husband in the world. A mom to a 27 year old girl Brittany who is married and I am about to be a grandma, Edward who is 21 and in his last year of college and Kamua who is 12 years old. I am a proud homeschooling mom, and until recently I worked at a homeschool co-op, but decided to come home and teach my youngest one on one to get him ready for high school. I also a a founding member of a nonprofit who mentor youth in the Washington Metro area using the Laws of Success by Napoleon Hill as guidelines.

Anything else we should know: I love to read favorite books is the Grapes of Wrath and the Good Earth. These are my favorite movies also. I am a jack of all trades, I love trying anything. I love flea markets, thrift stores, junk. Getting old things and making them new again! I love soap making I become a mad scientist when I make soap. I am a perfectionist, which drives some people crazy but I won't send things out if I am not happy with them. Tried to make candles for three years still not happy with the results so I won't sell them, I just use the ones I make myself. Word of advice to anyone getting in this business, you have to have a passion for it. Don't send anything out that you would't use, test , test, test,test and seeking the knowledge fom the Forum, there are some amazing artisans on here and just reading posts I have learned so much, and it has helped me become the artisan that I am today!!

What's your name? Valerie

How old are you? 47

Where do you live? Rio Rancho, New Mexico (right next to Albuquerque)

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? about 6 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I became addicted to Partylite candles in 2002, enough so that I became a consultant to support my habit. After we moved into the house we built in 2006 (as owner-builders), I decided to try my hand at making my own votives. Shortly after, I found this site and started making all sorts of other things from incense to CP soap. Basically, if it can have scent, I have tried it. Currently, I love to make tarts, but still make a few votives here and there. I've made body butters from scratch before, but now I just buy the bases and add fragrance. My husband tells me that I make the best shaving cream! :smiley2: I give most of my stuff away as gifts and love to send what I call "scented care packages" to anyone that I think needs one (birthday, cheering-up, or just because).

Are you married? Any kids? I have been married for 20 years to an amazingly supportive man and we have two daughters, Amanda (17) and Shayna (15).

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I've been a stay-at-home mom and homemaker for the past 18 years. I am so grateful to be able to be here for my girls whenever they need me.

Anything else we should know? We have three cats (two Maine Coons and a Ragdoll) named Dharma, Zoe, and Safaia (we call the baby "Kitten" even though she is almost 3) and a Yorkie named Abbie. I also practice yoga/meditation daily and love to read.

Edited by nmhoneybear

What's your name?
Camay

How old are you?
Older than I once was, and younger than I'll be

Where do you live?
Northern New England

Since 1991 (although I did not make anything from 1999-2005)

My stepmother came home from a yard sale with a box of candle molds. She saw that I was interested and went down cellar to get another box full of candle stuff from when she tried doing it in the 70s. In one of the boxes was a mold with the name Pourette on it. I wrote to them for a catalog (the days before commercial internet) and they were my first supplier.

Are you married?
Yes, today is our 16th anniversary

Any kids?
2 doggies and 3 kitties

I am a research scientist and lecturer in biochemistry at a university

I am also obsessive about reading classic literature, cooking, tennis and football

Edited by Camay

What's your name? Brenda

How old are you? 48

Where do you live? NW Ohio

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Since 2002

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Bought tons of commerical and hand crafted candles and figured I could make them myself "cheaper" - lololol. Like really ???? NOT !! I cater to my addiction :-/

Are you married? Yes, and very happily to my best friend. We've been together for 33 years and married for 20.

Any kids? Yes, 1 son + 1 wonderful daughter in law = 2 Fabulously SPOILED grandchildren !

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My candle business is my primary job but I am also a licensed Managing Manicurist part time.

Anything else we should know? I love pampering and blessing people. I tend to be a workaholic and make myself take time for me to keep balanced. In my downtime I enjoy watching Nascar, canoe trips, and spending quality time with my family.

What's your name? Laura

How old are you? 40

Where do you live? A small rural town in Northeastern PA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been making candles since 1998.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I wanted to be self employed and loved to burn candles. It just fit. I only made beeswax candles in the beginning. I do mostly scented soy now.

Are you married? Any kids? I have been married for 9 years to a very supportive guy. Our first baby is our border collie (10). Our other children are 7 (boy) and 6 months (girl).

If candle making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My family is my primary job, of course. In the past while candle making, I've been a skidder operator for a logging company and matted artwork for a picture framing company.

Anything else we should know? I love to bake sweet treats. My guilty pleasure is reading historical romance novels. I'm addicted to purchasing new fragrance oils.