New USPS Regional Box

I just got home from work and noticed there was a package left by usps that were shipping boxes. I haven't ordered any in awhile so I thought it was odd. There was a letter inside stating they will be offering a new regional rate box C starting Jan 22nd. They sent me samples of all the Regional Rate boxes including the new one since I've ordered boxes from them before. The new box is top loading only and is up to 25 lbs. Be on the lookout for your samples if you've ordered boxes from them before.

I just got home from work and noticed there was a package left by usps that were shipping boxes. I haven't ordered any in awhile so I thought it was odd. There was a letter inside stating they will be offering a new regional rate box C starting Jan 22nd. They sent me samples of all the Regional Rate boxes including the new one since I've ordered boxes from them before. The new box is top loading only and is up to 25 lbs. Be on the lookout for your samples if you've ordered boxes from them before.

We got a sorta thin package of boxes last week too. I thought they just made a mistake and brought more of the priority ones and put them in the garage :confused:

Thank you for the info. I'll wander outside later to check out the new regional boxes. They sound nice.

I love the Regional Rate A box - it has saved us so much $$ when shipping 'close to home' - - the funny thing is we can't find any info on the USPS website as to what the 'regions' are and how the rates are actually calculated. Even our postmaster admits he doesn't know how the system works. (Small town :o) But I know a priority box #4 that would cost us $5.08 goes regional rate for $4.97. Not a huge savings but there were many times shipping for Christmas we saved as much as $2.00/box when using Regional Rate. Plus the size/shape of the box packs better.

I love the Regional Rate A box - it has saved us so much $$ when shipping 'close to home' - - the funny thing is we can't find any info on the USPS website as to what the 'regions' are and how the rates are actually calculated. Even our postmaster admits he doesn't know how the system works. (Small town :o) But I know a priority box #4 that would cost us $5.08 goes regional rate for $4.97. Not a huge savings but there were many times shipping for Christmas we saved as much as $2.00/box when using Regional Rate. Plus the size/shape of the box packs better.

Plug in your zip here http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/

Wow! Lots of changes coming to the USPS.

Here's a "Forever" box article: https://www.usps.com/ship/prepaid-forever-priority-mail.htm.

My fear on that one is that I'd accidentally damage it losing all of the postage :(

Then, here's some interesting news:www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m11/i23/s02-

The new RR C box will incur a $.75 fee if brought to the Post Office. Am I reading that right?

The Package Intercept Service sounds intriguing. Not sure how it will work since our packages move from the local office really early.

The USPS is also introducing a Package Intercept service within the Competitive Ancillary Services product, priced at $10.95 plus Priority Mail postage. According to Caldwell, Package Intercept will meet need of customers who need shipments redirected due to buyer's remorse, fraud, shipper's error or potential product loss. He said packages will be intercepted at the delivery post office, and shippers will have three Package Intercept options:

• Hold at the local post office for pickup;
  • Redirect the package to a new delivery address;
  • Return the package to the shipper.

The Package Intercept Service sounds intriguing. Not sure how it will work since our packages move from the local office really early.

Hmmm....will this help when they slap a new address sticker on my UPS packages before they deliver? I don't know why; but they always change the address to one across town where I have never lived nor know anyone who has lived. When I call to get it fixed, they have no idea why either! :rolleyes2

The rates for RR are right there with the other rates. There is an entire list of costs with shipping options. Go onto the usps site and click on the top bar SHIP A PACKAGE. You will be able to choose your oprions from a drop bar. You can just calculate a rate or actually ship the package by clicking on PRINT A LABEL WITH POSTAGE.

Just got my sample boxes yesterday. I LOVE the "C" box!! Its big enough to hold a lot of candles or larger wholesale orders of soap! I'm very happy. I just wish they had this box out before Christmas I sure could have used it.

I read through the letter that came with the samples and it did not say you would incur a $ .75 cent charge for drop off at the post office. So I am hoping its not true. I always drop mine at the post office without problem.

@Candybee: I just found an article directly on the USPS site that cleared it up for me (http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2011/pr11_128.htm )

If any of the three Regional Rate Boxes is entered at retail, a 75-cent additional charge will be applied.

It reads as the Priority Postage can be purchased at the PO, costing a $.75 fee, not if dropped off. I'm not sure how they would charge the fee for pre-paid drop-offs. My PO has a counter where I just leave packaged. I cannot imagine they will hold the packages or return them.

The new box is HUGE. If filled with my candles and/or soap I'd be challenging the 25lb weight limit. When I do material co-ops I brush the RRA and RRB weight limits already. Ican't wait to see the rates for the new box. My guess is they will be updated on Monday along with the other rate increases? Be mindful if you're pre-printing labels today/tomorrow that Monday will require more $in postage. I need to re-check my websites and adjust accordingly this weekend.

I got my boxes yesterday too. I swear I read that the C box will cost at the 17lb rate for up to 25lbs, but I could be wrong. I hope it's wrong though.

I've never had problems though with the postage changing. As long as you print them today you can still use them for monday. Maybe every po is different though?

@Candybee: I just found an article directly on the USPS site that cleared it up for me (http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2011/pr11_128.htm )

It reads as the Priority Postage can be purchased at the PO, costing a $.75 fee, not if dropped off. I'm not sure how they would charge the fee for pre-paid drop-offs. My PO has a counter where I just leave packaged. I cannot imagine they will hold the packages or return them.

The new box is HUGE. If filled with my candles and/or soap I'd be challenging the 25lb weight limit. When I do material co-ops I brush the RRA and RRB weight limits already. Ican't wait to see the rates for the new box. My guess is they will be updated on Monday along with the other rate increases? Be mindful if you're pre-printing labels today/tomorrow that Monday will require more $in postage. I need to re-check my websites and adjust accordingly this weekend.

Thanks Talltale! This makes more sense! I would be ticked off if I were to get charged a fee for prepaid postage on boxes I dropped off at the PO!