What has being in the candle/soap/craft business taught you?

Sara

What have you learned from being in the candle/soap/craft business? Whether you're selling, contemplating, or "retired" -- what have you learned through the experience of it?

Would love to hear member's thoughts on business, life and how it may have changed you.

For me, I loved learning the craft. Both candles and soaps. I'm a crafty person at heart, and enjoy making things by scratch. I get real satisfaction out of making items that are useful to the family, whether it is meals, knit items, candles, soaps, etc. I like creating with my hands.

I also learned a lot about businesses and how they are run. Though I enjoy paperwork and the "office" end of business, I'm not a big fan of marketing (which isn't very helpful when you're running your own business). I don't like selling, either, but I knew that before.

It has been interesting to see the swing of crafters looking to make items like (better!!!) than they've seen in stores, to seeing crafters come up with their own ideas and the Big Boys mimic the trends.

I've learned that I actually don't want to have my own business. I hate the paperwork, I hate the taxes, fees, etc., and I hate that I turned a craft that I loved doing into a job that I feel slave to.

I love though that I can chalk it up as a life experience and lesson learned and will know in the future that I'm a better employee than owner/boss!! So many people wish they had their own business, at least I can say I did, and now I choose not to :)

I would have to say that what started out as a "let's see if I can make those candles" and save $$, turned into a hobby selling on the side, then a full time job along with my other full time job.

I've loved it and hated it! I've loved the money for my family as it has afforded us upgrades to the house, vacations, extra spending $$. I've hated it during the holidays as I work nonstop and cry often from sheer exhaustion.

I wanted to be "big", now I don't....as what I have going on now, is just right.

But I must say that the people I've met in the past 8 years, in person and thru my website and this board, have created new friendships and I have gained alot of knowledge about candlemaking and even dipped into B&B (darn you B&B people!).

I enjoyed and still do enjoy the process of learning the craft and trying new things. It feeds my soul or at least the artistic side in me.

A totally unexpected benefit of this has been my ability to quit smoking and walk away from depression. It was like being reborn for me. Can't explain why but it lifted my spirit and gave me confidence and joy in life like you have when you are a child at Christmastime.

... A totally unexpected benefit of this has been my ability to quit smoking and walk away from depression. It was like being reborn for me. Can't explain why but it lifted my spirit and gave me confidence and joy in life like you have when you are a child at Christmastime.

That's pretty darn cool.

I love making all natural products for personal use and selling. there is no greater feeling than to have repeat customers rave about the products I make. I love trying new recipes and am always trying to find new things to make.

I get frustrated a lot when things don't work out as they should but I have learned to have patience and figure things out.

I love trying to market my products even though it also gets frustrating.

But, the thing I like the most about my business is the independence it has offered me. I went from working a full time job as a paralegal to being a full time (and more) candlemaker, soaper, aromatherapist, etc. (since I do everything from honey barbeque sauce to candle, soap, lotions, lip balms, etc., I'm never really sure what to call myself) and I replaced my paralegal income in less than two years!

I also wanted to go big time but am satisfied with what I am doing now.

I've learned to stay positive no matter what is thrown at you. You just never know if that $2 sale at a REALLY bad show is just that or if it is a door opening to a really big account. BY always trying to stay positive you are open to whatever the world throws at you and ready to run with it. I have also brought this frame of mind over to the non-candle/soap side of my life and it makes me a lot less stressed and happier overall in my day to day life.

I have learned that there many ways you can be creative and earn a good income from this business as long as you are willing and motivated to do so.

I've learned that there are 2 kinds of people in business, those who truly want to help you succeed and prove to be great mentors,and those who are so consumed with jealousy they cannot function properly.

I've also learned that some things don't last forever and you should always cover your *$$ just in case -(economy)

Most important of all, never ever give up on yourself :smiley2:

** yes those C Cards do have their limits :shocked2:

1. It ain't as easy as it looks

2. Don't sell too cheaply!!!

3. Be generous with samples

4. Ignore negative comments at craft shows

5. Keep GOOD records of everything you do to produce your stuff

6. Keep your best ideas to yourself, but be helpful to others in the craft

7. NEVER trash another crafter - it will come around to bite you on the butt

8. Show & photograph your products to their best advantage

I love the creative side of candles, soaps and B&B. Once we have perfected a product, my DH takes over the tedious production side. I don't think you can ever be complacent; you have to be on guard for supplier and mfg problems.

I do enjoy sitting in candle shop #1 and pouring 100 tins, very relaxing. :yay: Carole

I've learned you really have to love what you do because there are times that are slow and then there are times you think you'll never make the deadline or you just wish you had the time to enjoy the holiday instead of working your butt off to get those orders out in time for the holidays.

But after all that, your brain starts thinking, hmmm, what can I come up with next, what's the next big thing and the creative process starts all over again then all of the sudden you have a new candle line. Love that!

I hate the red tape and paper work that comes with owning a business, but I love meeting our customers at craft festivals and making new friends. We've gained so many crafter friends over the years. That makes it all worth it.

I've learned that making candles is way more of a science than I ever dreamed!

I also learned that I knew nothing about running a business and that hurt me. I'm a crafter now, but if I become a business again it will be with a real business plan, a budget and a vision. You can't be OK at a lot of things, you have to be great at one thing! Focus first, then grow.

The thing that drew me to making candles still holds me today...I love being creative and seeing what comes out of the mold!

I've learned that I actually don't want to have my own business. I hate the paperwork, I hate the taxes, fees, etc., and I hate that I turned a craft that I loved doing into a job that I feel slave to.

I love though that I can chalk it up as a life experience and lesson learned and will know in the future that I'm a better employee than owner/boss!! So many people wish they had their own business, at least I can say I did, and now I choose not to :)

Hi,

I have a paid by the hour job and I have my candle business also. It keeps things from being boring. My paid by the hour job pays my bills. The candles are always a surprise and keep me thinking. It's a good part time job.

I have learned that it is not easy and there are many hurdles, BUT it is fun and if you really enjoy making things it can be like therapy.

I have also learned no matter how many scents you have someone will always want something you don't have. Don't follow their whim, unless you can do it in a business manner that makes sense and creates $ in a positive cash flow!!

I am thankful for my fellow crafters I have met online. You guys keep me motivated and inspire me to no end!! If it wasn't for you folks I probably would not survive.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting topic and I just sat here nodding my head to all that I have learned that you have already covered.

I hate paperwork

I love the creativity of making my candles and the always new challenges of trying something a little bit different... who knew someone would love Blue, Orange and Blue colored candles? LOL!

I took our small part time business and went full time with it 2 years ago and have never regretted it. It's so much less stressful (well most of the time till fall/winter) than having a boss hanging over your shoulder. I love being here and having dinner ready when my husband gets home from work instead of us both dragging in at the same time and being too tired to cook a healthy meal. I love taking breaks on my front porch swing and smelling my roses alongside the porch instead of sitting in a dark building with no windows on my breaks or sitting at my desk with big bay windows and longing to be out there in the sunshine instead of chained to a desk.

I've learned to always have a back up for your back up suppliers so that you aren't left high and dry if someone is out of something you need ASAP. I've also learned to keep stocked up on things you know you'll need like waxes and wicks.

Anna

I learned to keep all receipts, for everything. You never know when you will get audited and have to show proof of your purchase.

I have a big basket, every receipt goes into it, at the end of the month I empty it into a file envelope and begin again. Much better than a big box of receipts and the irs asking you for one little piece of paper. :)