FO shelf life

shine

Wow! So, is it just the Fragrance Company way to get you to buy more when they say you shouldn't keep a fragrance longer than six months? I've read that a few times. Something that I do when I receive mine is to write the date on the bottle so when I go back to use if it's in the future, I know how long I've had it.

Cool, dark place is ultimate.

People tend to think 6 months for freshness, but you know, how long was it sitting around at the supply house? I think if you just take care of what you have, it will hang around. It might also depend on what's in the fragrance. Like I said, lighter FOs just vanished. Some of what I have just evaporates, which sucks, but then I suppose it's screaming use me ... at least those that disappear rapidly.

It was wild chamomile (can't find it anywhere and it was from Pourette). The Amber lost its flavor after about seven years and the pine needle stayed really strong (think that was candlewic).

What Scented says is true, a dark cool place is very important. Also it just depends on the FO. I have some that are 5-6 years old and still smell fine, but I've had one certain oil that I couldn't keep more than about 6 months, it always would turn rancid on me so I just quit using it, LOL. Your nose will tell you when it's no good any longer, but you'll be amazed at how long they will last if stored properly.

Thanks. After everyone's input I just moved all my FO's to basement storage. It's always about 10 degrees cooler down there. I didn't realize how many FO's I had aquired in less than a year :rolleyes2 . It's time for invatory but I just don't have time now.

Thanks again,

Shine

I have to agree with jakalex, If you transfer slower moving FO's to glass amber bottles & store in a cool dark place (also label with the date you received it) they will last much longer.

BTW - If you have noticed any FO's in plastic bottles that become deformed (sunken in) those oils are evaperating through the plastic. Those FO's need to be transfered as soon as you get them in, so they last longer. I know there is a loss of FO because I had a full un-opened bottle that deformed, I poured it into a measuring cup and it was less than a pound. Also if I receive any oils that bottles are already deformed I get in touch with the supplier. I know that bottle has been sitting, in that plastic bottle, for some time & I don't want old oil. I would hope that most suppliers don't pre-bottle FO's to far in advance, if at all.

BTW - If you have noticed any FO's in plastic bottles that become deformed (sunken in) those oils are evaperating through the plastic. Those FO's need to be transfered as soon as you get them in, so they last longer. I know there is a loss of FO because I had a full un-opened bottle that deformed, I poured it into a measuring cup and it was less than a pound. Also if I receive any oils that bottles are already deformed I get in touch with the supplier. I know that bottle has been sitting, in that plastic bottle, for some time & I don't want old oil. I would hope that most suppliers don't pre-bottle FO's to far in advance, if at all.

This makes me nervous... all except my 1 ounce samples, the bottles I receive from two well known suppliers the bottles are always deformed. I always just assumed the squeezed them a little so they could fit them into the package.... I take them out open the cap let air back in and reform the bottle.

unfortunately the "squeeze" is from some of the fragrance escaping through the plastic. and it's not necessarily the fragrance as a whole - perhaps only some components are escaping, possibly changing the nature of the frag somewhat. glass is much better.

as far as stability - cold and dark are the way to go.

I got several from Majestic Mountain Sage several years ago and it took quite a while to find them for you--I thought they'd quit carrying them. Just when I was giving up, I ran across the search feature, so here's the item number:

119-406312 pk - 16 oz Amber Glass w/ caps$15.50

and here's the website: http://www.thesage.com/catalog/UniqueItems.html

HTH,

Jane

I have several that are 4 years old and smellin' great. I have bought FOs off the classy and they smell great when I get them but within a week they stink. Is that maybe from shipping during the hot summer heat? Ginger

I'm with everyone else. The scents we have and use seem to last forever and don't appear to break down---provided they are kept in a cool dark place--and that's how I store mine. I do know a few companies out there who retail candle/b&b scents and they use a cutter solvent (DPG) to save themselves money. The scents that are "cut" with this do tend to break down faster than ones that aren't "cut". We used to "cut" ours for retail but we don't anymore. They strength we make them are the ones we retail. We only "cut" ours for our own candle making. Just a thought.:D

• 11 months later...

I have 'Witches Brew' purchased from Tony's less than a year ago that has almost no scent now. What little it has is yuck. It's stayed in the amber glass bottle it came in, in a mostly dark office, in a box, in my temperature controlled home. The others I got at the same time from Tony's seem to be holding up much better, but I think I'm fixing to blaze thru them just in case they're about to kick the bucket.

Darbla

I don't store mine in a dark cool place. They are stored on a shelf at room temps of 68 - 70 degrees away from direct light. I leave them in the original bottle, be it plastic or amber glass, or amber plastic. Never had any go bad after six months and some I've had for more than two years. Some actually seem to get stronger like the patchouli and christmas tree.