parrafin wax bashing

Crowded, I can't waste my time debating someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. You are taking an analogy I used and saying that I am talking about "murdering" paraffin. You are trying to call me the bad guy because I don't think bashing a product to sell yours is acceptable. Now you are quoting parts of what I say instead of the whole thing to twist what I say. Are you a politician? We've already established that you think there is nothing wrong with lowering yourself and making lies about another product to further your sales, I mean that is essentially what you are arguing, right?

I guess I have gotten under your skin and you are trying to twist my words and change what I say. I can go back and quote you out of context but I don't have to resort to that. I am sure you will continue stalking me on this board--stretching the truth and using anything I post as a means to stir--seems to me you are the one with lack of sales--and nothing better to do.

Being as you are so besotted with me, you would probably enjoy also going back and pointing out where I mentioned anything about my sales. I haven't. I haven't mentioned anything about my company, or what I market for that matter. Quit assuming you know me, you don't and thankfully you never will unless you start stalking me in real life LOL.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness! Was everyone having a bad weekend? Don't we all know better than to bring this debate up? Because this is what we end up with 21 pages of disagreement. We all need to put this topic right up there with religion, politics, roe vs wade, circumcision, breastfeeding? Sorry, I had to throw that in there. Its seems to be another hot topic.

We all enjoy making candles. That is what matters most. It's not worth the energy to sit and bash over advertisement or which wax is better. Just live and learn and grow from it. I could pull up several large candle makers that bash one or the other and they don't care about virtuous advertisement. Its all about the $$$$$$. Overcome it by making sure you are honest and stand behind your products. Thats all we can do.

Originally Posted by Di in AZ

I guess life imitates life--I mean now we have murderers and they are the victims--poor guys made bad decisions, not their fault they murdered!

Yikes...this thread is the never ending thread...Di I don't think that all of us soy users have made poor decisions, but because of those that did we all have to live with the backlash that comes with it. It is not a matter of because we use soy we deserve to suffer it just a matter of us all having to overcome the stereotypes that have now been put upon our wax of choice!

I wonder what the longest running thread was on CT:confused:

Originally Posted by Di in AZ

I guess life imitates life--I mean now we have murderers and they are the victims--poor guys made bad decisions, not their fault they murdered!

Yikes...this thread is the never ending thread...Di I don't think that all of us soy users have made poor decisions, but because of those that did we all have to live with the backlash that comes with it. It is not a matter of because we use soy we deserve to suffer it just a matter of us all having to overcome the stereotypes that have now been put upon our wax of choice!

I wonder what the longest running thread was on CT:confused:

I guess I need to explain my analogy to some--I posted that because here are SOME soy makers running paraffin down, based on lies. So, paraffin makers post that it is annoying, because it is. Now the paraffin makers are in the wrong because they called someone out? My analogy was the same way bleeding hearts want everyone to feel sorry for criminals--when they are the ones who committed the offense. The wonderful world of cut-and-paste leaves the opportunity open for people who want to twist a debate just to cut-and-paste one portion so you can misconstrue the meaning :o

I think people who resort to that type of advertising have no ethics, simple. I haven't seen you or your company so I don't know how you advertise, but to be honest, I don't feel that you are one of these soy makers who bashes paraffin. I think you feel the need to defend these people because you make soy, but I don't have any problems with soy makers. I am testing a parasoy blend--why? Because I believe there is good and bad to both but I sure as heck don't go around dissing one over the other to make a sale.

I have seen you post on other topics about environmentalism and I believe you are committed to the cause. I don't feel it is a gimmick with you, nor do I think you are one of the people who resort to below-the-belt tactics, but I do assure you, there is a lot more stigma being placed on paraffin right now than there is on soy. I talk about people who do this in general, not soy makers in general. There are some who do it who are just preying on ignorant consumers and there are some who are just plain ignorant themselves, but I hold the soy makers who do it responsible because they should know the truth about their products before they sell and advertise them.

Romasoy...I'm asking this out of sincere curriosity... I've heard of people having allergies to soy when eaten... but are you saying people allergic to soy have also gotton sick or could potentially die by burning a soy candle? And I'm referring only to the soy.. not the fragrance oils used in them.

Not Roma, but a gal who worked here burned a soy candle and lost her eye sight briefly from presumably an allergic reaction to it. Her eyes swelled shut, literally and over the course that some allergies run, she did get her sight back.

Others in the office had sneezing fits and one had some breathing trouble. The only difference in the atmosphere here was the burning of a soy candle.

The only thing I said about paraffin candles are they clog the gas logs up--which HAS been proven. I DO know this for a fact because we have 2 gas fireplaces not even 3 years old and we have replaced the logs at least once in each of them---they should have lasted a good 10 years. We WERE told by someone who has been in the gas fireplace business for 10 years that the paraffin candles are what did it--I always bought them and burned them---from a major candle company. Since gas fireplaces are a huge industry here I am just trying to save others the expense of having to prematurely replace the logs.

We have had gas logs in our house for 12 yrs now and have YET to replace on of them, and we use them on a daily basis in the winter time. And I've been making candles for 5 years now.

:D Portia

Oh, for crying out loud! LOL Can't people have their own opinions and others respect them? I thought that's what *adults* do..

Who really cares! If it's not hurting you or your business, why do you even care what is said about paraffin or soy!?!

This thread has been quite funny and has shown some true colors of people.. (Tess, with her CRAPPY product, speech)..lol

Just out of curiosity how would a paraffin candle clog a gas log? :confused:

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I have never had or seen a gas log fireplace.

I know my grandparents have all gas things in their house. They have never had to replace anything.

In fact, according to Tess, there are no "murderers", and her well-made paraffin candles aren't suffering a bit from it. Score one for the educated consumer.

Uh once again twisting of words. C'mon people. If you are going to debate, YOU HAVE to keep the facts straight. Otherwise you make yourself look like an ass.

I never said anything about murderers. What I said was that my product sells itself. The soy liars do not affect my clientel. They annoy me yes. I often get tired of having to explain and straighten the facts out for customers. I am thinking of just making a video and playing everytime someone asks. I always have a candle burning so the customers can see that I do not have any soot (although I use Paraffin). That usually does the selling and convincing for me when I am against a new customer who just heard the soy mojo.

I believe the term "murder" was that of an analogy. Not anything to do with the sales of any candle.

You know I may have missed it, but I have yet to read in this thread where someone actually said their "sales" were hurting from the bashing of either candle. Maybe nerves yes, but not sales.

Oh, for crying out loud! LOL Can't people have their own opinions and others respect them? I thought that's what *adults* do..

Who really cares! If it's not hurting you or your business, why do you even care what is said about paraffin or soy!?!

This thread has been quite funny and has shown some true colors of people.. (Tess, with her CRAPPY product, speech)..lol

I happen to have some onf Tess's products and let me tell you they are far from crappy. tghey are some of the best candles that I have tested.

Send me some of yours so I can try your crap. :D

post-42-139458415132_thumb.jpg

No, I wasn't calling your products *crappy*, Tess.. I wouldn't stoop that low.. I was referring to your comment, where you said SOY candles are crappy..

You need to check yourself. What *I* said was not that Soy candles were crappy.

I was stating to a comment which was "soy candles look better than paraffin", which was stated as a fact not an opinion. I was pointing out that the soy candles "I" have seen are not appealing to the eye (as an opinion and not a fact). The "crap" was in reference to the "frost".

So once again people, lets quote the whole thing not just bits and pieces.

Sorry, but that is not what you were saying. Here is what you said.

But once again some of you soy users (especially the marketing types), have a bit of a selective comprehension on things. This debate is about how some of us (including some soy makers themselves), are tired of the losers out there having to bash and scare to sell their piece of crap product.

Meaning, anyone that has ever said ANYTHING about paraffin, and sells soy candles, sells crap products. I think YOU need to check yourself! You are NO better than the ones bashing paraffin candles. You are doing the same thing they do.

Anyway, I am done with this childsplay. Everyone has their own opinions and their own likes/dislikes with wax. Everyone also, is entitled to think that paraffin sucks, and soy is better. Maybe they did have paraffin candles that didn't burn long, or sooted really bad. I know I have had quite a few that did, that's why I don't use them or make them. I love soy candles and I do agree that they burn longer and have way less soot.. BUT, you know what? That's just my opinion.. I'm not going to go jump down someone's throat or call their products *crappy* because I don't agree with them.. Only someone immature, would stoop that low..

Sorry, but that is not what you were saying. Here is what you said.

Meaning, anyone that has ever said ANYTHING about paraffin, and sells soy candles, sells crap products. I think YOU need to check yourself! You are NO better than the ones bashing paraffin candles. You are doing the same thing they do.

Anyway, I am done with this childsplay. Everyone has their own opinions and their own likes/dislikes with wax. Everyone also, is entitled to think that paraffin sucks, and soy is better. Maybe they did have paraffin candles that didn't burn long, or sooted really bad. I know I have had quite a few that did, that's why I don't use them or make them. I love soy candles and I do agree that they burn longer and have way less soot.. BUT, you know what? That's just my opinion.. I'm not going to go jump down someone's throat or call their products *crappy* because I don't agree with them.. Only someone immature, would stoop that low..

Are you dense? NEVER did I say all those who make/sell soy. OK let me get my crayons out for you.

People who use SCARE tactics, and lies to sell thier products OBVIOUSLY have a piece of crap product. So much of a piece of crap that they cannot use the good points of their own concoction to sell their stuff Ex. great smelling, even burning, yadda yadda.

So maybe you keep twisting thing around and reading that way if you are in this category. So keep pulling those quotes and show me where I categorize ALL soy makers. Because if I did I would be pissing of alot of my friends on this board. Not to mention the fact I would be insulting myself since I will be adding soy in the future.

No I have no problem with soy nor do I think either wax is better. I have been around this biz long enough to know NO wax is perfect.

What I do have a problem with (the main topic of this very post) is that people feel they have to lie, bash and scare to sell a product. I they would have concentrated on perfecting and learning this wonderful skill I call chandling, they would have some better legit means of marketing.