parrafin wax bashing

Actually, the "organic" claim was removed from that site shortly after the last big "outrageous soy claims" thread. I found that interesting.

(and no, that's not me)

Hmmmm....very interesting...actually if you read their description of their wax it is the same exact verbage that is on the Ecosoya site but even Ecosoya didn't call their wax organic...it is good to see that they took that off cause that really did annoy me! Has anyone ever burned one of their candles? I would be curious to see how well they are made.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its too bad when a soy candlemaker has to bash a parrafin candlemaker.

by saying" regular candles are petroleum-based, therefore giving off the harmful black soot that contaminates the air we breathe as well as staining our walls and windows." This quote was in our local paper yesterday under new business in our area. I would think that someone who has faith in their product would be speaking about the positive side of their product and not knocking someonelses. Takes all kinds to make a world

I think they are quoting this study I saw online about a California EPA scientist who identified like 11 different carcinogens in the fumes off of Paraffin candles.

And as far as "harmful" black soot...well they are just being idiots, but I can attest to the fact that it DOES stain walls and ceilings.

In college I used to live in a house with 3 other roommates, and although noone smoked, we burned scented paraffin candles constantly, mostly from Yank-me, (several in every room...many lit and left burning 24/7 until they burned out) to cover up the smell of 4 teenage boys living in a small house. By the end of the year, there was black discoloration on the ceilings of the rooms in which we burned candles.

It's amazing we didn't burn that house down to the ground.

Chris

This has been a great topic... and though I have not read through every page I hope that I am not re-doing the same info... Here is my small two cents worth: if anyone rembers chemistry class that any fuel when the burning flame is any color other than blue than it is not complete combustion there for having some soot or unburned carbon... a complete/clean burn example would be the blue flame on your propane or nat. gas stove and not a yellow flame or pure alcohol that burns clear.

Hope this helps in giving a different look and true data....

Edited by candle_man

Food grade paraffin is also a derivative of the production of crude oil.

lol...Top I think we are probably never going to agree on this but I do appreciate your point of view as a lot of soy candle companies do spin these half truths about their product...that is wrong and malicious...

...However, if my product is made from a renewable resource stating that as "Fact" is not an eco-buzz word but a true statement and may very well be relavent to a lot of people who are looking to purchase renewed or recyclable products. I'm not going to be afraid to say that because someone who makes a Paraffin candle is going to get insecure and think I'm bashing them when no where in that statement is paraffin even discussed.

I also use GL 70/30 for my color candles and when asked I tell people I use 30% high quality food grade paraffin to stablize the soy and improve the scent throw. This does not make me feel insecure about the 100% soy colorless candles I make nor do I feel like I'm bashing my own candles I'm just pointing out the features and benefits of the products I make and I let the customer make their choice. First and formost quality should be the issue regardless of which wax is being used.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out "Truthfull" facts about the product you make, this should not make anyone else insecure or feel bashed. If I made 100% Paraffin I would point out the quality of the wax and how it is food grade and will burn clean because it is a quality candle and will have an awesome scent throw because that is one of the great benefits of a Paraffin candle. I personally would not feel offended by this as those are some of the great benefits to a Paraffin candle.

and crude oil is a derivative (from a rather lengthy process LOL) of "ancient organic materials"...

so I guess people can claim just about ANYTHING

I want to read someday....my candles are made of genuine million year old dinosaur!! :laugh2:

lol sorry everyone, I'm on mass amounts of meds and I am loopy as hell, so im finding these funny that probably arent that funny..

Edited by LuminousBoutique

So we don't want those "ancient organic materials" spilling all over the Gulf Coast but we don't mind making candles out of its by-product...

and crude oil is a derivative (from a rather lengthy process LOL) of "ancient organic materials"...

so I guess people can claim just about ANYTHING

So we don't want those "ancient organic materials" spilling all over the Gulf Coast but we don't mind making candles out of its by-product...

sounds about right

I also don't mind heating my home, driving my car, burning CDs on my computer, wearing synthetic fibers, or slathering vaseline on my kids' bottoms when the need arises.

Edited by CareBear

Sure, however these days more and more people want clean energy, green and eco-friendly products and that is only going to increase as customers become more educated...paraffin wax will be left behind.

I dont think so.. honestly. in the US and some other "superpower" countries, the green movement is big. But candles are a VERY small part of that. Think about what we use candles for now. For enjoyment, and for emergencies. Only a small percentage of the world still uses them for light, and I promise you those people dont care about eco-friendly products. When I see people buying candles at walmart or the dollar store, I see them looking at one thing... price. They dont give two snots whats in the candle, just that it smells good, looks good, and costs less. We all have customer bases of people who do care.. but lets be honest, its not a huge chunk of the market.

Twenty years ago, people thought we could be using other sources of fuel as well. Fifty years ago people thought we would be driving around in flying cars. As long as paraffin is cheap to use, it will be in the market.

Sure, however these days more and more people want clean energy, green and eco-friendly products and that is only going to increase as customers become more educated...paraffin wax will be left behind.

I personally don't think so. Unless soy wax can be produced that has all the benefits of paraffin.

Not to mention all the petroleum based energy that goes into producing and getting soy wax to us. As consumers become more educated they'll see that, as well. That soy wax isn't as eco-friendly as they may wish. Even if it's only the environmental impact being taken into consideration, the equation is not simple.

Edited by CareBear

I wanted to add some insight as a consumer and avid candle burner....

I buy and burn them all Parrafin wax, soy wax, palm wax, beeswax, etc.

What I have learned though the years is that they all have their own pros and cons. :cheesy2:

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

Made with natural materials??? What?? What do you think beeswax IS made of?

Sorry - to clarify

I meant that I personally believe one can say that a candle is "made with natural materials", but not that a candle itself is all natural.

apples are natural, applesauce is not.

in my opinion.

Edited by CareBear

I cringe when I see these old threads brought back to life ... this one supposedly died in 2006 and it's ugly head has reared up again.

*dead horse**hiding* [/qu*dead horse*ote]

So true....I don't even remember writing any of that...lol :rolleyes2

Again...who said that soy was clean burning...! Any combustion is going to emit soot. Whether its whitish in color like soy, its still soot, therefor not clean burning!

Will this debate ever end! *dead horse*

This is far from reality. I started 11 years ago with straight soy wax, my customers wanted it and I complied. However, I still made a soy/paraffin blend for myself and liked the throw and burn much better than soy. As my customers 'got educated' they ALL wanted the blend as the candles threw better and they could get a lot more scents with the blend that wouldn't throw in soy. They also realized paraffin doesn't soot either if made correctly.

Leave paraffin behind.......not a chance!! Those brain-washed, eco-snobs that think they know soy is God and paraffin is the devil, just have never had a good burning, no soot throwing, strong smelling whole or part paraffin candle!!

All this clean/green energy crap is going to cost us an arm and a leg. We'll be back in the stone age of reading and heating our homes by candlelight.

I learned during an ice storm a couple of years ago that 18 candles keep a room quite comfortable.

Thankfully, it looks like the fools on the hill have abandoned their nonsense (for now). At least until they can figure out something new to call it and be able to fool the masses of idiots again. And thankfully, the soy craze didn't last long in my neck of the woods. I couldn't tell you the last time I was asked if my candles are soy.

People in my area want candles to smell nice and last long. I accomplish that by using a blend. If someone wants soy, so be it. I'm not changing what works for me because of the belief that soy is better. I live in one of the highest cancer rated states in the US, there are bigger problems to worry about then what candles are made from.

All I know is my customers are much happier now with our soy candles then they were with our parrifin. They tell me they do not smoke as much and soot up the curtains. Works for me. I don't bash. I made some good parrifin candles too. :yay:When I hear someone bashing the other guy, I tend to go see what they other guy has got that is so good. :laugh2:

All I know is my customers are much happier now with our soy candles then they were with our parrifin. They tell me they do not smoke as much and soot up the curtains. Works for me. I don't bash. I made some good parrifin candles too. :yay:When I hear someone bashing the other guy, I tend to go see what they other guy has got that is so good. :laugh2:

Your paraffin candles would "soot up the curtains?" :confused:

Sorry - to clarify

I meant that I personally believe one can say that a candle is "made with natural materials", but not that a candle itself is all natural.

apples are natural, applesauce is not.

in my opinion.

I agree, but, if you make a beeswax candle with nothing but beeswax in it (no mold release, no stearic, no scent, etc.) I consider that a candle that is all natural. :smiley2: