parrafin wax bashing

Yes, I do not care for the ones that hover outside of the tent, take your pitch lines to invite people in or send their sons down to quiz you about your candles and the products only to pump and promote soy while helping others. Now, these are the people that I wish had the computer chips under their skins where one could just hit an on button and they would STFU. (Yes, I said it.)

No, the bulk of the candlemakers who are out there care nothing about promoting their products without use of the cancer hype etc. The crap that came from somewhere. The crap that will continue to be made up from somewhere. We HAD a friend who sells for Mia Bella (I feel sorry for her), but she's been brainwashed. She just said she would admire the way the candles looked from a distance, because they're poison -- cuz Mia Bella says so.

So if Mia Bella says so, guess what saturates the marketplace?

So it's this stuff that gets paraffin makers/users a little more active in the promotional ring. While it's great to be educated and learn from this, would it be too much to ask others to broaden their range of vision?

I'm not into breaking this down into arguing point by point, word by word per se like Top and Isbennis are doing. What Roma posted as what's on her website OFFENDED me greatly and shows me that while this is a learning board, some people aren't learning.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience has been that when a person walks up to my booth and asks about soy candles they already think they know for a fact that soy is MUCH MUCH better then paraffin. HOW do they know this... well its from all the misinformation that's out there about soy candles. That's what rubs me the wrong way. Like the wild west medicine shows, soy is the answer to all your problems! NOT

Its a simple answer for me, if my candles don't perform as good or better then any soy candle they have ever had, I will give them their money back.

I have made soy candles, used 100% soy and found that only a few scents throw like I wanted them to. Candles look like crap on the top and take too long to pour since you wait for the soy to heat up, add fo, cool down then pour if you want a half way nice top. I saw no advantage to using soy for a candle. When I had the soy on the table, no one bought them.

I don't think soy is a fad, but if the public knew the brass tacks truth about soy vs paraffin, the soy candle market would drop off drastically.

Bruce

I don't think soy is a fad, but if the public knew the brass tacks truth about soy vs paraffin, the soy candle market would drop off drastically.

Bruce

I don't think soy is passing, I should have rephrased that, I think the misinformation campaign will be passing soon. It didn't happen to me this year like it did in previous years.

Already designing a facts about wax and some other info pulled into a pamphlet to go into every bag this next year.

Yes, Bruce, exactly! They come in already knowing and that's because it was spun off somewhere by someone. If they honestly want a good soy product, we do scout at shows too and biasedly will send them elsewhere. Usually not next door, but to someone who tried to sell to us without the hype and BS (or someone we've come to know).

Quoting Top...You know, I really do think this is a worthwhile debate even if it's an old one. I always learn more in the course of the discussion and new perspectives are introduced by people. Lots of folks do read and learn here. I don't think it's true to say that nobody's mind changes. If any candlemaking subject needs the contrarian view to be presented once in a while it's this one.

Ok...so I had to pop in for another comment and to actually agree with Top on his above statement. I have totally changed my view on Paraffin since I joined this board and have even added a 70/30 blend to my arsenal so who knows what is next maybe 50/50? I do think some people will learn and make more informed decisions and some will not but at least the info is out there.

I also have to agree with Scented and Di about some of these other companies that sell soy candles and brain wash their reps to the point that they become obnoxious. I have even had discussions with them about how they are promoting their candles. Then you have CandleWealth who tells you to go out and make soy candles with their supplies but they don't tell you how to make them and that you should really have insurance before you sell a candle produced with there "superior" and expensive ingredients...its kinda scary :shocked2: But I do believe like anything else when the dust settles and enough people buy these candles they will seperate fact from ficiton based on their own experiences with these products.

....ok back to working on my soot problem!

My experience has been that when a person walks up to my booth and asks about soy candles they already think they know for a fact that soy is MUCH MUCH better then paraffin. HOW do they know this... well its from all the misinformation that's out there about soy candles. That's what rubs me the wrong way. Like the wild west medicine shows, soy is the answer to all your problems! NOT

Its a simple answer for me, if my candles don't perform as good or better then any soy candle they have ever had, I will give them their money back.

I have made soy candles, used 100% soy and found that only a few scents throw like I wanted them to. Candles look like crap on the top and take too long to pour since you wait for the soy to heat up, add fo, cool down then pour if you want a half way nice top. I saw no advantage to using soy for a candle. When I had the soy on the table, no one bought them.

Bruce

Bruce you took the words right outta my mouth.

Isbennis gosh darnit go work on that soot problem, doncha know soy is not supposed to soot lol :wink2: .

I always laugh when I read posts like yours lugnut. I have yet to see one paraffin chandler run down soy in an attempt to sell their candles. Merely because people complain about soy chandlers doing it, you think they are bashing soy and you try and twist it? If you don't bash to sell, then there is nothing on this thread that should be insulting to you. I am not one of the idiots in this world who is afraid to complain lest someone take insult. If a pot is black, I call it black. No one is here bashing soy. We are bashing the people who run down paraffin in the name of a sale.

I don't do a good twister. I just call em like I see em.

What I see is those who do not sell Soy candles are loosing sales due to the sales tactics of some who do. That equates to who is doing the better advertising of their product.(some would call it lying) I have never had to advertise or make up sales fliers or anything else because it has all been done for me by others. I have no need to educate people on the intricasies of wax making. All I put up is "Soy Candles" and people whether or not correctly informed buy them. Inpart because their Soy but mainly due to their color and FO. They look good and smell good so people want them. If they burn correctly that's just a plus because they come back for more. But attempting to state Soy isn't this or doesn't do that or will do something else will not help anyone sell a candle or the same about paraffin. Like those who sell Soy, they pump up their product and all it's benefits whether exagerated or not and it has worked very well. Albeit sad that some of the hype is complete bull. But alot of it is truth that has been exagerated. Thats what most advertisers do, pump up their selling points.

That's what those who don't sell Soy candles should be doing also. Pumping up their products positive points and not worrying about Soy candle makers. But everyone has an opinion and some are stronger than others and some make it a mission to let their opinion be known. After reading this entire thread I have not changed my opinion on Soy and paraffin one little bit. If I could see the positives in Paraffin that might change. So far all I've seen is the negatives about Soy advertisements and claims. Those things don't change opinions they just lead to more questions and then to a who cares attitude. People don't want or have a need to worry about all those things candlemakers worry about. They just want something that serves their purpose. Some thing like a great smelling candle that burns right and is hastle free. If your product does exactly as it should customers will return time and time again and in the process of repeat sales they can be gently taught the truth of all candle products. But slamming them with all the negatives and "facts" in fliers and counter claims won't accomplish anything. They'll just walk away because your not offering them any advantages of buying your product. It's like going on an interview. You never talk bad about your last boss no matter how weird he was. It'll be taken negatively even if it's the truth. You can't sell yourself or your product by attempting to give the facts about your competition. People don't want to hear it.

That's my 1/2 cents worth. I know it's probably worth even less.;)

Looks like were still bashing Soy................I mean Paraffin.:undecided

WHATEVER :o :o :o :o

Nobody is bashing anybody. Geez can't people have a fricken conversation without having the crybabies whine? This thread was NOT about which is better. It is about the people who have to lie and scare customers in order to sell a product. Seriously try reading, it might do ya some good.

ok...here is a twist on the whole situation...try being a soy candle maker and living up to all the over inflated claims that are made. God for bid one of my candles should get a spec of soot on the jar I'll never hear the end of it or if for some reason my candle doesn't burn longer then the paraffin candle that a customer purchased the other day or my soy candle doesn't part the Red Sea on demand or my soy candle doesn't smell as strong as a paraffin candle or my soy candle is ugly after it burns it looks like a dead brain...I can go on and on...blah blah blah but you get the idea. Or even worse someone purchased a poorly made soy candle from one of those MLM people and now I have to over come their bad exprience its enough to make any chanlder feel insecure. :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

So if it is any comfort what comes around goes around and any false claims hurt us all as a whole!

Gosh...I wish I could stay away from this thread!!!! :tongue2:

For the love of Christ..... Can't we get over it already? You can't stop people from spouting off at the mouth that soy is better and "healthy" blah blah; it’s not going to happen. Propaganda! Now the new “healthy” thing is palm.

However I would like to see some hard evidence that soy is in fact better for you. Ps that is not affiliated with a soy candle company or linked to soy product selling site. Not going to happen in my life time.

Who cares, make your candles, sell them and be done with it. :D

Some of us will always remain more honest and educated than others.

No offence to anyone here.

try being a soy candle maker and living up to all the over inflated claims that are made.

At my last craft fair this guy comes up to me and says, "Soy candles, huh?" I said, "Yep." He said, "They're great - plus you can put the wax on your skin!"

By the time I'd formulated the words, "Um, no, actually...." he'd walked on. Hopefully he found a nice B&B table somewhere.

At my last craft fair this guy comes up to me and says, "Soy candles, huh?" I said, "Yep." He said, "They're great - plus you can put the wax on your skin!"

By the time I'd formulated the words, "Um, no, actually...." he'd walked on. Hopefully he found a nice B&B table somewhere.

lol...Good one Crowded House....I forgot about the infamous..."Soy Wax Body Lotion Candle"...!

THis happened to me two weeks ago at a craft show! I was like, " No, it's a candle. You just smell it!"

I wish I knew about this issue way back in the day when I could not decide what to right a controversial research paper on for my High School college prep English class..haha. I did the same thing as everyone else, animal rights, sheesh, I could have written a damn good paper.

I wish I knew about this issue way back in the day when I could not decide what to right a controversial research paper on for my High School college prep English class..haha. I did the same thing as everyone else, animal rights, sheesh, I could have written a damn good paper.

You would have passed that class!

Oops, my apologies to all, I for some reason felt bad for all the paraffin makers who had to endure this crap, I didn't know the true "victims" were the soy makers! I guess life imitates life--I mean now we have murderers and they are the victims--poor guys made bad decisions, not their fault they murdered! Now we have the poor soy makers who slam paraffin who now claim they are victims of their own propaganda. Confused society we live in--AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!:rolleyes2

I feel victimized, really. Look at all the dreadful things said about Soy and then throw in all the exagerations about Soy. With all the confusion it's a miracle anyone can even sell a Soy candle anymore. :cry2:

Wait a minute......................I sell Paraffin Pillars. With all the bashing of paraffin wax and the horrible stories of lung cancer and then topping it off with all the claims of Soy people it's a wonder anyone can sell a paraffin candle anylmore.:cry2:

Tess, did I whine enough for you? :D

I would truly like to know the advantages of Paraffin containers over Soy. So far the Soy look better and have a better appeal. So whats the difference?