parrafin wax bashing

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I did a home show on Friday night and there was another lady there selling Soy candles. On the label on the top of the container it said "Friends don't let friends burn Paraffin."

Well I make both Paraffin and Soy candles but had only taken seasonal Paraffin candles with me. She then came up to me and asked where my Soy was? I told her that I didn't bring any with me. She then went on saying that once I really get into Soy that I will never want to work with Paraffin again. I said well that will never happen because I have customers that like both.

Then when she was presenting her company to the crowd she was telling them how she just buys into the company and none of them are hand poured. So it just goes to show that everyone is not educated on what they sale, make, and speak about. They just believe what everyone else has told them.

I was pretty disgusted when I left. Especially since I was reading this thread right before I left the house. Oh well I just keep my mouth shut...........

So Di, you really think the soy nazis have hurt paraffin to the point where the paraffin industry is dying?

That's what I was laughing about...for those who understood it.

So I guess in your world you consider anything said acceptable unless it does financial damage? Glad you think it is funny. Some people have ethics and don't stoop to that level. That is what this whole post has been about. At least you let your colors show.

Then when she was presenting her company to the crowd she was telling them how she just buys into the company and none of them are hand poured. So it just goes to show that everyone is not educated on what they sale, make, and speak about. They just believe what everyone else has told them.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. I think that's what bugs me the most--stupidity. I think all these people who push the false sales pitches are the people who send me all the chain emails LOL.

I feel victimized, really. Look at all the dreadful things said about Soy and then throw in all the exagerations about Soy. With all the confusion it's a miracle anyone can even sell a Soy candle anymore. :cry2:

Wait a minute......................I sell Paraffin Pillars. With all the bashing of paraffin wax and the horrible stories of lung cancer and then topping it off with all the claims of Soy people it's a wonder anyone can sell a paraffin candle anylmore.:cry2:

Tess, did I whine enough for you? :D

I would truly like to know the advantages of Paraffin containers over Soy. So far the Soy look better and have a better appeal. So whats the difference?

You whined enough like 5 posts back lol.

So actual there is no advantage of either. The "appeal" or "look" is purely a matter of opinion. Because if you ask me, Soy candles look pretty crappy to me. With all the diarrhea on top of most of them. The only smooth looking ones have paraffin mixed in. I am sorry but I do not care for all the flakiness all over my carpet or floor when I take the packaging off. JMO.

Another thing is you keep associating Paraffin sales as being low, and then blaming that on marketing.

I sell strictly paraffin, and my sales are not low by any means. I have never experienced a "low point" since I started in business. It has always been up and up. So I do not think this debate is about "sales". But once again some of you soy users (especially the marketing types), have a bit of a selective comprehension on things. This debate is about how some of us (including some soy makers themselves), are tired of the losers out there having to bash and scare to sell their piece of crap product. It has NOTHING to do with the wax itself. It has NOTHING to do with sales. It has to do with principle, and maybe a little of integrity.

Heck I dance circles around my competition. Soy or not. Bashing or not.

So I guess in your world you consider anything said acceptable unless it does financial damage? Glad you think it is funny. Some people have ethics and don't stoop to that level. That is what this whole post has been about. At least you let your colors show.

Don't you think it is funny that some of these peeps keep twisting words, and "misconstruing" words. It is no wonder the lies are out there. I hear ya girl. :highfive:

Crappy, diarrhea on top, flakey, piece of crap product. Are you angry? :shocked2:

That might be considered bashing Soy candles, I could be wrong.

The only smooth looking ones have paraffin mixed in.
Not true. That would be thought of as bashing Soy to promote your parafin products. :shocked2::D

Now take a deep breath and relax, all this whining about Soy, sheesh.:grin2:

Well, catching up on this thread has been some enlightening reading, lol.

Isbennis and other soy chandlers, I do have a question, How can you promote candles as soy when they have 30% or more parrafin in them? Call a spade a spade, but I tell my customers they are parasoy, the best of both worlds.

Quoting the hype and all about soy then using parrafin in "soy candles" just doesn't ring truthful to me. The "Natural Soy Candles" line I hear from local soy chandlers does make me laugh as it is NOT natural after you add fragrance oil. To me that is not being honest to the public. Just the way I see it. :wink2:

I don't add any paraffin to my soy. The wax could be 100 percent Soy and stated as such. The candle isn't 100 percent soy though because of the additives.

I shoud add that Soy isn't natural either because it is farmed. Everything from fertilisers to pesticides change it's make up so it's not close to natural. If it was grown organically that could be a claim but it still wouldn't be natural.

Crappy, diarrhea on top, flakey, piece of crap product. Are you angry? :shocked2:

That might be considered bashing Soy candles, I could be wrong.

Not true. That would be thought of as bashing Soy to promote your parafin products. :shocked2::D

Now take a deep breath and relax, all this whining about Soy, sheesh.:grin2:

Oh now I am angry lol!! Boy you have real issues with the selective thought process don't you. No it is not considered bashing soy candles anymore than your reply that soy looks better. Give me break. And of course I am not promoting anything on here. You really need to get it together. Really.

Ah man this is a funny thread and it'll go on and on caused group A believe in soy and group B believe in parrifin and neither will admit that the other side may have a valid point.

Me I believe in too each his own. I just don't think A users should put down B and visa versa. But of course I believe in Santa Clause too and I know that will never happen.

It sure have been some confusing reading. I just wanted to up my post count.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

WHATEVER :o :o :o :o

Nobody is bashing anybody. Geez can't people have a fricken conversation without having the crybabies whine? This thread was NOT about which is better. It is about the people who have to lie and scare customers in order to sell a product. Seriously try reading, it might do ya some good.

So true chica. :highfive:

post-42-139458415111_thumb.jpg

[quote name=candlebug

Isbennis and other soy chandlers, I do have a question, How can you promote candles as soy when they have 30% or more parrafin in them? Call a spade a spade, but I tell my customers they are parasoy, the best of both worlds.

Actually Candlebug I said that I have added a 70/30 blend to my arsenal I still make 100% colorless soy candles and will always have that as my main candle. I do however promote my blend as exactly that and point out to people the benefits of why adding the paraffin makes a great candle and to be honest with you most people don't seem to care as long as it smells good and burns well. I had several people come up to me at the craft fair the other day and say...."I heard that soy candles don't smell as good as Paraffin"...so you see there is plenty of stuff being slung around out there on both sides of the fence. Geez all I want to do is make a great candle and sell it with out all the BS!:tongue2:

The biggest reason I tell people that my candles are soy is because I work in the healthcare field also and soy wax allergies are on the rise. I, under no circumstances, want anyone to be sick or potentially die. All that would be due to my stupidity in not revealing that my candles are made of soy wax.

Romasoy...I'm asking this out of sincere curriosity... I've heard of people having allergies to soy when eaten... but are you saying people allergic to soy have also gotton sick or could potentially die by burning a soy candle? And I'm referring only to the soy.. not the fragrance oils used in them. Wow.. I was away a couple days and now I'm trying to get caught up on just this one thread! Its been enlightening.. fun .. and at times annoying to read the debate.. but all in all ...its been an informative debate.

No, actually I found it funny that you would engage in the same sort of hyperbole to make your point about paraffin bashing that you accuse the soy nazis of using to sell their product.

If you'll notice I also laughed at Top calling drugs "a renewable resource"; of course he has the ability to commit such acts of hyperbole without being quite so prickly about it.

Personally I see nothing wrong with paraffin candles, unless they're the dollar store kind that travel here in boatloads from the Pacific Rim and have the tendency to turn people off of candles altogether. Many people have submitted pics of beautiful paraffin candles here and I find the carved ones absolutely gorgeous (and as far as I know you can't carve soy at all).

Using hyperbole to sell your product has the unfortunate side effect of killing your credibility about said product, and it affects all sides. It doesn't mean the soy people all used it and now "the murderers are all crying victim".

In fact, according to Tess, there are no "murderers", and her well-made paraffin candles aren't suffering a bit from it. Score one for the educated consumer.

No, actually I found it funny that you would engage in the same sort of hyperbole to make your point about paraffin bashing that you accuse the soy nazis of using to sell their product.

Please enlighten me. No where have I ever mentioned soy, or any of the qualities or negatives of it. I have never run down soy period. Do you just randomly accuse people of things?

What I have done here is posted about soymakers running down paraffin, again, that is the subject at hand. Please, read through this thread and quote me. Good luck searching.

If you are going to debate, at least make sure you know of what you are accusing people. :rolleyes2

What I have done here is posted about soymakers running down paraffin, again, that is the subject at hand.

Yes, that's what I said. You used the same sort of hyperbole to make your point about paraffin bashing that you accuse the soy makers of using to sell their product.

I guess life imitates life--I mean now we have murderers and they are the victims--poor guys made bad decisions, not their fault they murdered!

"Murdered"? Are sales really that bad for you? Or could it be that the soy people here were commisserating with the paraffin makers that they also see something wrong with the hyperbole used to sell soy candles and it has affected all sides in a negative way (although hardly to the point of killing the candle industry)?