Liquid Vs. Block Colors

I am in the beggenings of candle craft, and I have tried color blocks, and never tried liquid colors. I tried to make marbled pillars with color blocks, and what I did was melt the color block on the side and tried to add it to the cooling wax, but it didnt mix well with the wax. I Guess what Im trying to find out is what is the ratio of people who use Liquid and Block colors, and why?

I cant say I prefer one over the other because I havent tried liquid yet, but I know that Im not fond of block coloring. Thanks for any input.

Initially the liquid may seem to be more expensive but it will last and last and last some more. I still on occasion will use the blocks if I don't feel like messing around mixing the colors or if I want a very pastel shade.

I prefer colour blocks. I use only the primary colours and mix my own shades. I have used liquid dye in the past but found that it often had a fuel smell. I didn't try very many types of liquid though, so perhaps some are better than others.

Cheers

Janette

I prefer dye chips. I do use the liquid dye but find it hard to get the exact colors that I want. I suppose a color wheel would help, but I find it easier, and it saves time to use chips. I don't do marbles, but I can imagine that liquid would be better for that purpose.....

I use liquids, blocks and even the chips lol. Only reason why is I can get colors I want with either a couple of plops or drops. I have a dizzy of a time getting a variety of pinks for instance, so I've got chips for a soft pink, blocks for a more pink, just pink, and liquid to make the hot pink.

I use strictly dye blocks. I've tried chips and liquid and don't care for either. You have to be willin g to work for the color with blocks and until you worked with them for months at a time and know how to shave them for the color you want, you can't get fancy. If I want to try a marbled anything, I'd use the liquids or melt the color off the dye block first and add it with a tooth pick.

I started with blocks and chips, but now use liquid. I hated standing there scraping the blocks, nope not dark enough, scrape some more, and I'd get it all over the place, such a waste. BUT it's a pain sometimes controling the amount of color with the liquid. More than once I've ended up with a drop or 3 lol more color than what I wanted. And you have to be very careful not to spill, talk about mess.

I have been using the dye blocks...it seems to me that you can control the color better...and I put the dye block(s) in with my wax as it melts, that way if I need it to be darker I can always shave more into my wax to get the color I desire:grin2:

If you have a good scale it's easier to include color block in your candle formula by percentage weight and consistently scale it to different batch sizes.

Also if you want to keep a variety of pre-mixed colors on hand that you don't necessarily use all the time, it's cheaper to acquire a collection of color blocks than a collection of liquids.

When you're making individual test candles, it can be hard to make a light shade using liquid without splitting drops.

I mostly use liquids but color blocks have their advantages.

I use all different dys. Liquids, blocks and powders. For some colors I get better results with blocks than the other two kinds... and then there are a few colors that I need to mix powder and block together or I don't get the deepness that I want.

I started with blocks, then quickly moved on to chips. I love the ease of chips but they're much more costly. I switched to liquid and although I don't quite get the range of colors (so chips still come in handy!)

I prefer to use liquid. I find it hard to measure out the blocks. How do I know how much of the block to add for the next time I want a candle with the same color.
You weigh it. Requires a good scale, but nothing beats weighing dye for consistency or scaling up/down for different size batches. Of course you can weigh any kind of dye but some are easier than others to use that way.