How long should I keep FOs

Forrest

I always went by smell and color both stand alone & in products.  Some oils seemed to keep forever while others turned after 6 months.  Some darkened so much they would affect my undyed wax.   If you can't tell, have others smell, some people can tell immediately if something is off.

• Like 3

Some of my FO's are 8-10 years old and are still good. I've had very few that have turned bad. Like kandlekrazy said, go by the smell. And a few do turn dark after several years.

I would be in deep trouble if fragrance oils only stayed good for a year!

• Like 5

I have ones that are 15 yrs old and still wonderful. Once in a great while I will get one that goes bad but that is the exception rather than the general rule. If it smells good and you like it, keep it and don't be afraid to use it. Suppliers pretty much have to say "one year" to avoid lawsuits over that one that might go bad in 6 months. I've been using FO's since 2005 and had only 2 in all that time I had to throw out cause they went bad on me. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I have ones that are 15 yrs old and still wonderful. Once in a great while I will get one that goes bad but that is the exception rather than the general rule. If it smells good and you like it, keep it and don't be afraid to use it. Suppliers pretty much have to say "one year" to avoid lawsuits over that one that might go bad in 6 months. I've been using FO's since 2005 and had only 2 in all that time I had to throw out cause they went bad on me. 

The only ones I’ve had go off were vanilla / vanillin types or brands that diluted with soy bean oil. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this question brought out all the folks who were on the old Peak forum back in the day.  Anyone remember Bluegrass Candle Co.?  I have a couple of their oils.  I'd sell my brother's first born child to get an ounce of their original coconut cream pie to duplicate too.  Just as good as the day I purchased them.

ETA: The FOs in question date back to 2004-ish.

Edited by KrisS

I remember bluegrass - I don’t think I ever purchased from them but when I first started out I bought from snowdrift farm….anyone remember them? 
But anyhow I haven’t had many go bad either - a few a few I bought off Craigslist way back when were nasty rank….And one of those was a blueberry something that I couldn’t get out of my car for weeks 🤢

I have some from around 2009 2010 that are still just fine 

• Like 1

Yep! I remember Snowdrift Farm, Moonworks, Tony's/Southern Scents and more. But the ones I truly miss are Old Mill and Tradewinds. But even if they were still around their FOs would probably be reformulated like everyone else to stay in compliance. We would probably be experiencing the same problems with them as we are now with a lot of FOs that we have been using like forever that have changed. Makes me wonder if these newly reformulated FOs will last as long.

• Like 1

Ahhh Moonworks 😍….loved them 

I also remember getting so many Tennessee candle supply scents tested and ready to go only to be shocked they were gone (poof) just like that

nothing seems like the good olde days anymore 😂😂 

I tried a few old mill I believe, never did buy tradewinds

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Candybee said:

Yes, PFO has been carrying MW FO's for several years now. So does FB. But its not the same because several FO's were lost when MW closed. Pity.

Yes….and when they first took over it was limited what they would bring in and had to do pre buys ….I just moved on I guess I haven’t ordered from PFO in years 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1