CandleScience discontinuing HTP and CSN wicks

So that leaves them with just CD, Eco and LX. Bit of a weird move for such a big supplier, but I guess all the noobs just flock to CD / Eco with 464 wax and never look back lol. Sometimes HTP burned the best for me in soy.

Edited by ErronB
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

OMG!!! I have been using their CSN wicks for my palm for years! They work better than RRD and other wicks I've tried in palm. ah cheese and crackers!!!!

Are you freaking out like I am freaking out?
OMG....all I need are CSN12's and all they have left is 1000 quantity.  I do not intend to make 1000 palm pillars in my lifetime, but I do intend to make more than what I have wicks for.  I am really beginning to dislike CS fairly passionately.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

OMG!!! I have been using their CSN wicks for my palm for years! They work better than RRD and other wicks I've tried in palm. ah cheese and crackers!!!!

I just looked over their website and I am not seeing any announcements about them discontinuing their CSN wicks. I see some are OOS thou. So am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I just looked over their website and I am not seeing any announcements about them discontinuing their CSN wicks. I see some are OOS thou. So am I missing something?

Scroll further down on each wick description, it says they will be discontinued when stock runs out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

For those who use HTP, I heard from a supplier that HTP wicks have changed due to covid supply chain issues. Definitely check all of your new HTP wicks in your wax before you release candles.

this is all getting really old isn’t it?

Yes, it’s just one thing after another. It’s getting to the point now where it’s not worth trying to perfect a candle recipe for me because everything keeps changing and being horribly inconsistent. As long as I can do power burns for hours on end without any huge flames and smoke that’s good enough for me now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ErronB said:

Yes, it’s just one thing after another. It’s getting to the point now where it’s not worth trying to perfect a candle recipe for me because everything keeps changing and being horribly inconsistent. As long as I can do power burns for hours on end without any huge flames and smoke that’s good enough for me now.

Take heart that we can co-op wicks any time. 5,000 of a size seems like a lot, but at around a nickel per it is reasonable. we can be a supplier of our own things with group buys 

Wicks are easier than wax. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

For those who use HTP, I heard from a supplier that HTP wicks have changed due to covid supply chain issues. Definitely check all of your new HTP wicks in your wax before you release candles.

this is all getting really old isn’t it?

Hmmm.....THAT makes the thought of buying 1000 CSN12's not as bad an idea as I first thought.

I just grabbed a thousand CSN7... 

But I need CSN9, will have to get bigger amount from one of the main manufacturers....

Would have been nice with a warning CS, let your good old clients who poured money into your register for years be able to stock up before you pull everything. CSN is not available from anywhere else if they don't drop that US license and let others sell it in quantities under 5000.

Are they closing shop? Their main focus is candles and they only stock 3 wick series?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

I just grabbed a thousand CSN7... 

But I need CSN9, will have to get bigger amount from one of the main manufacturers....

Would have been nice with a warning CS, let your good old clients who poured money into your register for years be able to stock up before you pull everything. CSN is not available from anywhere else if they don't drop that US license and let others sell it in quantities under 5000.

Are they closing shop? Their main focus is candles and they only stock 3 wick series?

With all the sudden changes in wax, wicks and FO it sure feels Like circling the drain.  It’s a shame. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ErronB said:

This business is painful. 😩 As if the previous Soy Wax debacle wasn't enough, now we are getting hit with issues around the Corona Virus including the new trade deal with China. Wonder when the shortages and delays will be over. Looks like a bunch of American entrepreneurs need to start manufacturing businesses again and take over for China. Wish I could start a business that manufactures candle and soap making supplies.

• Like 3

Great. I was just about to start testing CSN's in a few palm blends. So much for that. Looks like I'll continue testing with RRD, although results have been a bit blah so far.

Edit: And I'm now falling down a rabbit hole of DIY wick treatments. Interesting but too tedious for me.

Edited by Kerven

You know I think Candle Science is struggling. In the past couple of years Flaming Candle and Aztec have caught up and I feel surpassed them in product lines and customer service. Candle Science has been alienating customers by changing fragrance oils, eliminating waxes etc. They used to be One of the biggest suppliers but not so anymore.

I can’t use their fragrance oils anymore because I don’t need to invest money then find out they don’t carry it or changed it. The sudden announcements are not a good idea. You can’t do that to customers.

• Like 2

For those of us that use CSN's the Wedo RRD's are the equivalent and both series are made from them. I do believe the CSN is a slightly different version of the RRD but what the diff is I don't know. I found that they tended to smoke and soot a tad more than the CSN. But I have since lowered my FO load and switched to a smaller size wick so now I wonder if the RRD might work for me better now. Anyway, looks like I will be switching to the RRD until I find something better.

BTW, you can find RRD's at Candlewic and a much better selection at C&S. Which is great for me because they are both in PA and I already use them for candle supplies and FOs. They may start getting more business from me now.

https://www.precisionwicking.com/wedo/

RRD are cored wicks. Csn/VRL are careless and have different chemical treatments.

i never found RRD to work well  in any wax I tried them in.  They burn down then out, with the flame running along the entire stalk of exposed wick, making for tall flames unless well trimmed for each particular container. They often ended up leaving a weird soot film and carbon balls. I know a few people that like them in hard to burn waxes. I have a carton of every size RRD that ended up shoved in the back of the store room. 

what the CSN/VRL users need to do is approach wick tabbing places that also sell palm wax, like candlewic, and ask if they would obtain licensing for VRL. 

• Like 1

I had different issues with RRD. Not a lot of soot and smoke. A little mushrooming. The wicks had a tendency to curl and not self trim, so by the 3rd hour mark I had excessively long wicks in need of trimming and uneven melt pools. The flames were too large and ROC high, even when wicking in either direction. Incidentally, mine aren't labeled nst 2, so I'm guessing I have RRD without the treatment?

Edit: Candlewic suggests using series RRD, CD, HTP, ECO, and LX 22/24/26. I wasn't too thrilled with ECO in palm-soy blends. It was so-so.

Edit 2: There are old threads about wicking palm waxes. Here's one for feather palm. There is at least one more thread by the same user about wicking starburst palm. Not sure if there are more - didn't dive too deep. Now, I'm curious about using CDN's since I'm working with both soy and palm.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1