The Wooden Wick Co

On 6/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, ErronB said:

That sounds to me like you're not using the right type / size. If you're having problems with the flame going out at the start then experiment with the booster varieties.

This is exactly why I bought the kits from WW Co. and paid like $25 for the candle kits because I thought buying from WW Co...one would think they would have figured out what wick to use but that definitely wasn’t the case. Something just can’t be right because no one would want to buy the candles I made from WW Co! I bought 4 kits and none of them would stay lit. They just sucked. They don’t tell you anything about having to prime them. I mean they must work for some people cause seems a lot of people like wood wicks. 🤷‍♀️

• Sad 1

On 5/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, floyd7NR said:

TallTayl, if you're onto this wood working sphere, can you recommend the most universal wood router? Here is an article I could find  ( https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/ ), and it says that DEWALT is the best choice, but I do like Bosch 1617EVS, cause it has a variable speed system, and it should be compact and lightweight, in comparison with other models. Do you use any of those?

I don’t have any personal recommendations for routers, but we tend to go dewalt only because we have so many interchangeable batteries. My router is an old craftsman, I think. We don’t use it much at this time. 

10 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

This is exactly why I bought the kits from WW Co. and paid like $25 for the candle kits because I thought buying from WW Co...one would think they would have figured out what wick to use but that definitely wasn’t the case. Something just can’t be right because no one would want to buy the candles I made from WW Co! I bought 4 kits and none of them would stay lit. They just sucked. They don’t tell you anything about having to prime them. I mean they must work for some people cause seems a lot of people like wood wicks. 🤷‍♀️

Over on a Facebook group (don’t remember which, maybe it was the WWCo page) there was mention of a cruddy batch of wicks not staying lit. While I like burning some wooden wicks for personal use, I have been reluctant to sell any because of this issue 😢 I Do have to say, priming has helped a lot in my batches. 

• Like 1

I've only used four wicks from the kit I bought from WW Co. I agree this kit was a total waste of money. I should have just bought a few different types based on the size of my containers. I won't be able to use 90% of what's in the kit. That being said, the crackle and whisper wicks both stay lit and burn well in my Coco 83 wax with no priming, but the funny thing is they both sound exactly the same. No difference whatsoever between the "Crackle" and "Whisper" wicks. My husband, who is a patent attorney, took a look at WW Co patents on wooden wicks. They are NOT the only people who can sell wooden wicks, they are just the only folks who can sell those with certain specifications.

Edited by jancita
typo
  • Thanks 2

@jancita I know what you mean about the whisper v the crackle. Depending on my wax, the whisper shouts pretty loudly! The benefit, I se, e, is the whisper doesn’t stain my wax with tannins like the darker crackling kinds do.

i learned from the kit how to iD what other resellers classify as large, medium and small.  It was worth it to me to feel the thicknesses and wood types.  I can now make my own custom boosters from any of the flats. Talk about feeling empowered! Basically give me 0.02” thick x 1/4” wide and then a pack of 0.02 x 1/2 and a pack of 0.02 x 3/4” and I can wick most all of my jars. Rarely do I need 0.03 thick and never 0.04 since doubling the 0.02 gets to a similar spot (just a wee bit hotter). 

I do love the tubes in a few of my jars and waxes.  When all else fail, the tube is a winner. 

Whoever is making these lately has no idea WTF they're doing. I got a bag of .03, and the .03 boosters, and the boosters might burn perfect but the ones without the booster flare up to all hell. They swear they're the same wood and thickness and everything but something is not right. Even the .02 bag I got lately is thicker than my last ones. 

I don't know how a company with such sh*t customer service and quality control can make out to be 'the' fancy candle supplies company.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Well that is depressing. 

From what I read over the last few months, Atkins and Pearce recently took over production for the wooden wick co.. http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/ 

It's even more depressing knowing that, you'd think they would have it down better than that. I remember the good old days where I could just throw a wooden wick in a 464 candle and it would be great, now both the wicks and the wax have gone to hell.

5 hours ago, jancita said:

I've only used four wicks from the kit I bought from WW Co. I agree this kit was a total waste of money. I should have just bought a few different types based on the size of my containers. I won't be able to use 90% of what's in the kit. That being said, the crackle and whisper wicks both stay lit and burn well in my Coco 83 wax with no priming, but the funny thing is they both sound exactly the same. No difference whatsoever between the "Crackle" and "Whisper" wicks. My husband, who is a patent attorney, took a look at WW Co patents on wooden wicks. They are NOT the only people who can sell wooden wicks, they are just the only folks who can sell those with certain specifications.

Is it okay if I ask you to pick your husband's brain & expertise little bit more?  I am wondering about what those certain specifications on wooden wicks would be.  

52 minutes ago, ErronB said:

It's even more depressing knowing that, you'd think they would have it down better than that. I remember the good old days where I could just throw a wooden wick in a 464 candle and it would be great, now both the wicks and the wax have gone to hell.

Those good old days went down the crapper just like the good old days of soy being point and shoot. And fragrances just working as promised. 

hopefully A&P will figure it out.  Otherwise, I can see some hefty candle recalls on the horizon. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

@jancita I know what you mean about the whisper v the crackle. Depending on my wax, the whisper shouts pretty loudly! The benefit, I se, e, is the whisper doesn’t stain my wax with tannins like the darker crackling kinds do.

i learned from the kit how to iD what other resellers classify as large, medium and small.  It was worth it to me to feel the thicknesses and wood types.  I can now make my own custom boosters from any of the flats. Talk about feeling empowered! Basically give me 0.02” thick x 1/4” wide and then a pack of 0.02 x 1/2 and a pack of 0.02 x 3/4” and I can wick most all of my jars. Rarely do I need 0.03 thick and never 0.04 since doubling the 0.02 gets to a similar spot (just a wee bit hotter). 

I do love the tubes in a few of my jars and waxes.  When all else fail, the tube is a winner. 

Just ordered their sample kit and realized it’s not gonna be coming with .25widths? What the heck? 

25 minutes ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Just ordered their sample kit and realized it’s not gonna be coming with .25widths? What the heck? 

Oh man. The hits just keep on coming. 

when companies make it this difficult you have to wonder if they really want to remain in business. Who has time or energy for this nonsense?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Oh man. The hits just keep on coming. 

when companies make it this difficult you have to wonder if they really want to remain in business. Who has time or energy for this nonsense?

Unless I’m missing something? They offer 5 widths but the sample kits only come with 4 🤔 waiting on an email reply 

17 minutes ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Unless I’m missing something? They offer 5 widths but the sample kits only come with 4 🤔 waiting on an email reply 

Nevermind no need for a reply. In their YouTube video about the wick kit, she flat out says the flat wicks come in .375, .5, .625 and .75. I don’t understand them. It’s like they want you to have to purchase 100 of the damn .25’s to even try them out. I know I can cut them down to make my own but I shouldn’t have to! 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Is it okay if I ask you to pick your husband's brain & expertise little bit more?  I am wondering about what those certain specifications on wooden wicks would be.  

He really didn't have a chance to review them all. They hold 12 US Utility Patents and 11 US Design Patents http://lumetique.com/patents. What struck him is the claims the patents looked at made very "narrow" claims covering minute details like the grain of the wood, the width of the booster component, or a tiny improvement made over another patent they hold. Because the claims are so narrow (limited), he said it would probably be easy to design around them. 

Edited by jancita
add link
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jancita said:

He really didn't have a chance to review them all. They hold 12 US Utility Patents and 11 US Design Patents http://lumetique.com/patents. What struck him is the claims the patents looked at made very "narrow" claims covering minute details like the grain of the wood, the width of the booster component, or a tiny improvement made over another patent they hold. Because the claims are so narrow (limited), he said it would probably be easy to design around them. 

So, on this public board, how can @Busy Bee and @TallTayl protect their idea for a tapered wooden wick?  Don't mind me, I'm just writing out loud.  I know advice of this sort is not free, but this is interesting, imo.  I think they may be onto something here.  🙂

It's not matter of protecting new idea, and I have no intention to do so.  This is all about breaking the code of wood wick patent by Lumetique.  

I always had suspicion this balsa wood sheet might be a lot better than wood wick from WWC.  Let's worry about Lumetique later, and shall we play?

Picture1.png.2b57e1198db3adbfbacae04578c4fef2.png

And, I was wondering about these two wooden wick patents.  First "utility patent" is owned by WoodWick Candle of Newelll Brands called "Plus Wick", and second same wick's "design patent" is owned by Chinese company called "Cross Wooden Candle Wick".  How is this possible?  Any thoughts on this anyone?

Picture2.png.9fb8c43e58635cd73c2a838dd0cbb4f6.png

Picture3.png.3ece6ca535aaeaf65bf9d02c910f41af.png

1 hour ago, BusyBee said:

What we might be looking at is tapered one.  But, I had pulled one out from WoodWick PlusWick Candle some time ago.

20190916_221126.thumb.jpg.020cab95daaede404f953ae5268a5aff.jpg

20190916_221508.thumb.jpg.f28fa40444c5097a372f7cabfa5c1ef5.jpg

20190916_221537.thumb.jpg.01b34ce912d36d876a8e1547e5ab7009.jpg

Man I wish we could get our hands on some of those. I’ve seen them on aliexpress and even amazon but I’m not certain they’re of very good quality and also illegal haha 😬

2 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Man I wish we could get our hands on some of those. I’ve seen them on aliexpress and even amazon but I’m not certain they’re of very good quality and also illegal haha 😬

They're not even remotely the same, I've tried lol. The chinese wooden wicks are even worse than The Wooden Wick Co. for consistency, so that should tell you something.

Wooden Wick Co are bringing out a cross wick, it was supposed to be around the same time as the spiral but I don't know what happened.

14 hours ago, birdcharm said:

So, on this public board, how can @Busy Bee and @TallTayl protect their idea for a tapered wooden wick?  Don't mind me, I'm just writing out loud.  I know advice of this sort is not free, but this is interesting, imo.  I think they may be onto something here.  🙂

Just some general info on patent protection from my husband: You don't have a make a prototype first, but that would help with drafting the claims. Be careful about posting the prototype online, as public disclosure would start a one year time clock to get a patent application filed. He said it would be easier to get a design patent, because that depends on appearance alone, and your wick is unlikely to look like others. Keep in mind that even if WW has never created a tapered wick, your wick could still infringe one of their patents if it fits within the claims (which are the most important part of the patent to review). He suggested looking up the patents on Google Patents or pat2pdf.org. He recommends engaging patent council before taking any substantive actions toward commercializing them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ErronB said:

They're not even remotely the same, I've tried lol. The chinese wooden wicks are even worse than The Wooden Wick Co. for consistency, so that should tell you something.

Wooden Wick Co are bringing out a cross wick, it was supposed to be around the same time as the spiral but I don't know what happened.

I've tried some Chinese Wooden wicks I ordered from Wish.com. They alternated between not staying lit and looking like they were going to burn my house down. 

• Like 1

I'm very late to this discussion.  I have a ton of the Unity wood wicks that I bought about 5 or more years ago.  I've never had a problem with these staying lit, and they've always burned well in every wax I've used them in.  I'm just wondering what the difference is in those and the ww's being sold now.  Does anyone know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ErronB said:

Haha I figured. I saw a photo in one of the reviews and it was a bonfire. And I hope they do come out with a cross wick! I feel like it’s better heat distribution. I was trimming a Wood Wick candle earlier and noticed the crosswick was loose. Was tempted to jerk that sucker out and throw it one of my candles lol.

Edited by dustinryan2010