The Wooden Wick Co

I wasn’t the first to think of tapering a WW. It has been mentioned it on this board elsewhere, I just can’t recall the threads or posters. The tapering almost has to be so precise and catered to a particular vessel/wax/FO that it would be super challenging. When wooden wicks work well you can make a special booster wick that just eliminates the booster part at the bottom. Either add the wood booster at the top if you make your own configurations, or cut off the bottom from a premade booster. 

im intrigued by balsa and other craft wood. It would take a LOT for me to trust making them for sale, but they may be worth an article experiment for funsies. 

like noted above,  bring back those sawdust wicks.  Talk about reliable. I learned of them just as they were going out of production. 

4 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I'm very late to this discussion.  I have a ton of the Unity wood wicks that I bought about 5 or more years ago.  I've never had a problem with these staying lit, and they've always burned well in every wax I've used them in.  I'm just wondering what the difference is in those and the ww's being sold now.  Does anyone know?

There were 2 kinds I remember, I think they were primed with something that's why they were darker (just guessing), then the sawdust texture looking other ones, I don't know what they were made with but they burned flawless in parasoy.

4 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Haha I figured. I saw a photo in one of the reviews and it was a bonfire. And I hope they do come out with a cross wick! I feel like it’s better heat distribution. I was trimming a Wood Wick candle earlier and noticed the crosswick was loose. Was tempted to jerk that sucker out and throw it one of my candles lol.

I've done that before and it burned great in my candles. I'm sure it's primed with something. I used to test priming some of the wicks in olive oil which stopped them going out, but they changed the wood they used to a fruit tree and it doesn't work nowhere near as well anymore. I think that's one of the reasons they changed the wood, they are certain there is nothing wrong with their wicks 'as-is' and it's all user error... SMH.

9 minutes ago, ErronB said:

There were 2 kinds I remember, I think they were primed with something that's why they were darker (just guessing), then the sawdust texture looking other ones, I don't know what they were made with but they burned flawless in parasoy.

I've done that before and it burned great in my candles. I'm sure it's primed with something. I used to test priming some of the wicks in olive oil which stopped them going out, but they changed the wood they used to a fruit tree and it doesn't work nowhere near as well anymore. I think that's one of the reasons they changed the wood, they are certain there is nothing wrong with their wicks 'as-is' and it's all user error... SMH.

The ones I have a lot of are the dark ones.  I first ordered some from a supplier, and then went on to order a large pack direct from Unity.  Mine are 2 ply, dark wood, and they burn great. 
I also had some that were lighter in color and textured kinda like sandpaper.  Are those the "saw dust" ones?

2 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The ones I have a lot of are the dark ones.  I first ordered some from a supplier, and then went on to order a large pack direct from Unity.  Mine are 2 ply, dark wood, and they burn great. 
I also had some that were lighter in color and textured kinda like sandpaper.  Are those the "saw dust" ones?

These ones Extreme_WW_2_1200x.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I'm not sure.  It's hard to tell.  Those look furry, but mine were less furry looking but had a texture to them.  IDK.  I haven't had any of those in a long time. 
Can you still buy those anywhere?

Not that I know of, but I'd love too if I could. I did see those 'wave' wooden wicks that Cocoon sells but I've spent so much on wicks lately I can't justify testing them just yet lol.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 8:05 AM, dustinryan2010 said:

Haha I figured. I saw a photo in one of the reviews and it was a bonfire. And I hope they do come out with a cross wick! I feel like it’s better heat distribution. I was trimming a Wood Wick candle earlier and noticed the crosswick was loose. Was tempted to jerk that sucker out and throw it one of my candles lol.

The wick in the picture above is the one I pulled out from WoodWick Candle.  It's actually called PlusWick, and the one from Chinese company is called Cross Wick.  Both of them have its own patents, so they are all legal.  

It performed beautifully in my 464.  BUT, I bought another WoodWick Candle and pulled it out one more time.  But, second one was not as good as the first one.  I guess all wooden wicks are having quality reliability issues.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 10:58 PM, ErronB said:

That sounds to me like you're not using the right type / size. If you're having problems with the flame going out at the start then experiment with the booster varieties.

That is not the issue because if they light properly, they are the perfect size for the candle. And the type is fine. I think the issue is the same one that many have with the wooden wicks...they suck.

The previous company that made wooden wicks had some sort of flammable coating on them that made a big difference.

If anyone here does any reading at the candle making sub on reddit, I see there is a thread there today about this company, some of it having to do with their license agreement and what it entails if you should use their wicks to sell your candles.  Also, it appears that patent infringement claims are active, although I don't know if they are legitimate claims or not, but I see that they are highly involved.  It's interesting reading, but it's a bit scary, as there are some good, long-time suppliers that seem to have themselves involved all because they've offered for sale these particular wicks as well as other brands, a nice legal mess that doesn't seem fair, I think Lone Star Candle is one of those mentioned.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, birdcharm said:

If anyone here does any reading at the candle making sub on reddit, I see there is a thread there today about this company, some of it having to do with their license agreement and what it entails if you should use their wicks to sell your candles.  Also, it appears that patent infringement claims are active, although I don't know if they are legitimate claims or not, but I see that they are highly involved.  It's interesting reading, but it's a bit scary, as there are some good, long-time suppliers that seem to have themselves involved all because they've offered for sale these particular wicks as well as other brands, a nice legal mess that doesn't seem fair, I think Lone Star Candle is one of those mentioned.

It's so stupid. There's no way most of the people using their wicks are going to put their patents on the labels, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I've completely quit using their products now, I used to use the EC26 coconut soy wax they sell but it's available elsewhere so no need to even go to their website anymore if I need some.

Anyone can make a pretty looking wooden wick candle, and I'll admit some do look very attractive, but they just don't work worth a sh*t on a professional level. I can't even begin to think about the amount of time and money I wasted trying everything possible to make them usable for retail. Every damn time I'd get a new order in, the thickness was all over the place or the wood was very different looking so nothing ever burned the same. I literally had anxiety after making a batch of wooden wick candles just wondering if they would stay lit properly the first time, I had no choice but to ditch them, can't risk it.

The best part is trying to have a conversation with someone who works there, they are very friendly, but they have NO IDEA what the hell they're talking about, so forget trying to ask them any questions that are even remotely technical. 

• Sad 1