The Wooden Wick Co

I have always wanted to try out wooden wicks. I’ve never ordered from here before till now. I bought 2 kits from them which I really had a hard time cause it was $100 for 4 candles but I thought that since it’s in a kit they sell I shouldn’t have to worry about which wick and wax etc. to buy. I have been making candles for 15 years now but have zero experience with wooden wicks. They are horrible! They won’t stay lit. I’ve had to relight constantly. I’ve only tried 2 of the 4 I made. After lighting over and over one will stay lit for a while but just barely. The other one is tunneling and worse than the first one. There definitely isn’t any crackle. Any thought or suggestions would be super appreciated. Is there something I may have done wrong? Thanks so much for any help! 

I learned with wooden wicks:

1) I have to “prime” them.  I stick them in the melter as the wax melts and periodically hold them at the bottom of the pot until they stop pushing air bubbles.  When I don’t do that I experience inconsistent burns like you spdescribe.

2) you need to light from the bottom of the wick to give them some fuel to get going. If you only light the wood part it will char an limit the capillary action for the next few millimeters.

3) when relighting it helps to remove the charred bit from the last burn before lighting. 

4) if they look like they are petering out as it burns, whack off some of the char.

i started and stopped with wooden wicks at least eleventeen times.  Am loving them right now in my wax blends. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

1) I have to “prime” them.  I stick them in the melter as the wax melts and periodically hold them at the bottom of the pot until they stop pushing air bubbles.  When I don’t do that I experience inconsistent burns like you spdescribe.

2) you need to light from the bottom of the wick to give them some fuel to get going. If you only light the wood part it will char an limit the capillary action for the next few millimeters.

3) when relighting it helps to remove the charred bit from the last burn before lighting. 

4) if they look like they are petering out as it burns, whack off some of the char.

i started and stopped with wooden wicks at least eleventeen times.  Am loving them right now in my wax blends. 

@TallTaylhey there and thanks for sharing all of your help please tell me how to #2 light from the bottom

1 hour ago, kandlekimi said:

@TallTaylhey there and thanks for sharing all of your help please tell me how to #2 light from the bottom

I have the most luck if I Tip the container a bit to the side, and hold the lighter at the base of the wick while melting some of the wax around the wick. 

The best way I have found on first lighting is to light it up, and wait till flame burns down all its going to burn, after that blow it out, cut off the burnt part of the wick and re light. Its always been a perfect burn for me.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, TallTayl said:

Thanks so much for the pointers! Could you recommend a supplier for wood wicks please? Trying to decide if this is something I want to start testing or not. I’d like to buy one to see if it is worth all the testing or not. They must be way better than what I made!! 

I started each time with the full test pack directly from wooden wick company.  The three thicknesses, two woods and all the widths give limitless combos.  I find I use the original wicks (not boosters) most often. Am loving the tubes in several wax blends and am going to give spirals a try.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:14 PM, TallTayl said:

do you sell candles made with wood wicks or just personal

Edited by Testing123

On 2/28/2020 at 5:14 PM, TallTayl said:

I think points #3 and 4 are really important. I've been making WW candles for about 6 years. They are temperamental beasts. I include a little card with my candles that emphasizes the importance of trimming the wick before and sometimes during a burn. WW candles prefer a shorter wick which seems counter intuitive but is the case.

• Like 4

I think the most frustrating thing about wooden wicks is the company itself, they really don't know what they're talking about. I've tried on numerous occasions talking to them about more than just the simple questions and they really don't have any idea. It's almost as if they don't even use the wicks themselves. And when it comes to their waxes.... forget it. One lady told me I have to check the flashpoint of the FO to determine when to add it, I ended the conversation right there.

Everything TallTayl said is pretty much everything covered. I couldn't get their waxes to throw worth a crap at all, it's quite sad for how expensive they are.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, ErronB said:

I think the most frustrating thing about wooden wicks is the company itself, they really don't know what they're talking about. I've tried on numerous occasions talking to them about more than just the simple questions and they really don't have any idea. It's almost as if they don't even use the wicks themselves. And when it comes to their waxes.... forget it. One lady told me I have to check the flashpoint of the FO to determine when to add it, I ended the conversation right there.

💯 the Wooden Wick Facebook group is full of WW employees posting about that exact thing - checking the flashpoint of the FO before adding it, blah blah blah. As the wooden wicks are getting more popular more people are posting about difficulty using them and customers who have complained and asked for refunds for wicks that refuse to light even with well crafted care cards. The WW employees maintain you should never have to prime/soak your wick. I have also noticed that when people say that they purchased their wicks from flaming candle, elsewhere, that the WW employees immediately tell them to only buy them from WW's website. in other posts, the employees always make sure to tell everyone that the wooden wicks are all proprietary and no matter where you buy a wooden wick, they are all from the Wooden Wick company. Doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess I just lurk too much and have been shaking my head at most of the posts too. I can't help it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, moomin3 said:

💯 the Wooden Wick Facebook group is full of WW employees posting about that exact thing - checking the flashpoint of the FO before adding it, blah blah blah. As the wooden wicks are getting more popular more people are posting about difficulty using them and customers who have complained and asked for refunds for wicks that refuse to light even with well crafted care cards. The WW employees maintain you should never have to prime/soak your wick. I have also noticed that when people say that they purchased their wicks from flaming candle, elsewhere, that the WW employees immediately tell them to only buy them from WW's website. in other posts, the employees always make sure to tell everyone that the wooden wicks are all proprietary and no matter where you buy a wooden wick, they are all from the Wooden Wick company. Doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess I just lurk too much and have been shaking my head at most of the posts too. I can't help it!

The whole priming thing was a topic I brought up with them, they told me I can only use wax to prime them and if I used anything like olive oil it's forbidden and can't use their wicks anymore, I'm thinking how the hell they ever gonna find out?  Funnily enough I just tried it again recently soaking them in some olive oil for a bit and it worked well it reminded me of the wicks that used to be for sale back a couple years ago before these BS wicks we got now. Don't get me wrong, in the right waxes and wick thicknesses you might not need to do anything like prime them or do anything special, but I'm still not 100% happy like the old ones. I think they're gonna have to do something different soon because it's like the wooden wick scene has taken a step back since they forced everyone else to stop making the good ones and we're stuck with this crap.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, ErronB said:

Everything TallTayl said is pretty much everything covered. I couldn't get their waxes to throw worth a crap at all, it's quite sad for how expensive they are.

Oh my gosh! YES!! I was told the same thing about checking the flashpoint so I knew when to add fragrance and I thought..is she joking? Then I remember thinking ok does she really believe this? Then I thought maybe I’m the one cracking up lol! I thought surely they must know a ton about wood wicks, ya know? The Wood Wick Co is after all their name! My beautiful wood wick candles are s***! 

I was irritated though to say the least. $100 for 4 candles that won’t even light. 🤨😤

• Like 1

I found some Wood wicks that I purchased from BitterCreek a number of years ago and tested a few in my parasoy wax blend and they were so awesome!  The crackle was very audible, the scent throw was great and I want more of THEM!!  looks like that isn't happening :(

• Like 1

Anyone else notice how shiny other wooden wicks are compared to those from wwco 

those from Wwco are often different levels of dry and change over time if not super carefully managed against humidity. So frustrating. 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, TallTayl said:

Anyone else notice how shiny other wooden wicks are compared to those from wwco 

I can take a photo of a BC and a WWCO side by side, but I'm not sure how to put the photo here. 🙄 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I need to look through the entire set from wwco. There are different woods based on The amount of crackle they are supposed to produce. 

Yes, I bought two sample kits.

This wick is .030 original wood wick 3/4"w

• 2 months later...

TallTayl, if you're onto this wood working sphere, can you recommend the most universal wood router? Here is an article I could find  ( https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/ ), and it says that DEWALT is the best choice, but I do like Bosch 1617EVS, cause it has a variable speed system, and it should be compact and lightweight, in comparison with other models. Do you use any of those?

Just wanted to add that this issue is SO annoying! 
I have tried two things that seem to help:

1) Cut it very short. It has to be short enough that you don’t get the charring area too high, and it doesn’t hit wax. But not too short that it won’t catch. Yea, this is ridiculously difficult to do. 
2) If/when it flickers out, I have taken a fork (or anything) and tapped the top of the charred extinguished wick a bit. This seems to release the wood layers and allow air in, so the flame will last when I relight it. Yea, this is a pain and not something I can realistically tell customers to do.

in fact, if I were a customer and the wick acted like this...I would not buy the candle again. 

Talltayl, any chance you could please post a video or further explain in this thread exactly what you do to the wicks? Since I bought a pack of 300 (!!!) from wooden wicks, I feel stuck with them. They look beautiful but I will be so stressed if customers complain. (Thanks in advance!!) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

Just wanted to add that this issue is SO annoying! 
I have tried two things that seem to help:

1) Cut it very short. It has to be short enough that you don’t get the charring area too high, and it doesn’t hit wax. But not too short that it won’t catch. Yea, this is ridiculously difficult to do. 
2) If/when it flickers out, I have taken a fork (or anything) and tapped the top of the charred extinguished wick a bit. This seems to release the wood layers and allow air in, so the flame will last when I relight it. Yea, this is a pain and not something I can realistically tell customers to do.

in fact, if I were a customer and the wick acted like this...I would not buy the candle again. 

Talltayl, any chance you could please post a video or further explain in this thread exactly what you do to the wicks? Since I bought a pack of 300 (!!!) from wooden wicks, I feel stuck with them. They look beautiful but I will be so stressed if customers complain. (Thanks in advance!!) 

That sounds to me like you're not using the right type / size. If you're having problems with the flame going out at the start then experiment with the booster varieties.