Does anyone make chocolate soap?

Candybee

I made some a few years back and I thought it smelled awesome when I washed with it. But it was such a hard sell to my customers I gave up and never tried it again.

Been thinking about trying it again lately so thought I would ask if anyone here has had any success selling it? If so, what chocolate scent do you like best?

For me, it sells only slightly better than my non-scented soap, which isn't saying much since the last 11 bar batch of non-scented soap took me about 3.5 years to sell half of it before I gave up. I've only made 1 batch of chocolate scented soaps, and it took about that long to sell the whole batch, so I keep my chocolate scents for my candles that sell out almost every time. 

• Like 1

Pity... I remember washing with the chocolate soap years back and thinking how nice and decadent it smells. Its one of those things that sounds weird to be washing with but it really smells good in the bath. 

Waiting to hear from others. Could be that the type of chocolate you use makes all the difference. Like maybe a cocoa latte coffee soap? Or a mocha vanilla or mocha mint blend?

I make chocolate fudge brownie from Moonworks (sp?) in a soap. It's not the best mover in my line, but it IS decadent smelling soap! 
Pumpkin Pie? I can't keep it in stock, but chocolate, meh, I'll always have some left over... I can't FIGURE that one out!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shari said:

I've tried a couple different chocolates and fudge nut brownies.  Chocolate soaps did not sell.  Even when I made them in cupcakes it was a no go in my area.  I can't sell foodies scents here.  

Ditto with the foodie scents. Pink Sugar is the closest I can get, although I have one girl who loves my Peach Bellini fragrance in soap, not sure if that counts.

Chcoclate doesn't move well in wax for me either, everyone exclaims over the great CT, then buys something in cinnamon or vanilla, lol.

IKR? It truly doesn't make any sense to me AT ALL that I can't make cents with chocolate scents... Almost ALL of my soaps are food scents of one ilk or another but for SOME REASON, everyone turns their nose up at the chocolate. I mean my "Coco's Favorite" smells and looks SO MUCH like the real thing that I'm actually temped to lick my fingers while I'm making it...  I just wanna LICK THE SPOON!!!

(I know... I'm not right in the head, but I'm also not about to be left yet...) 

• Haha 1

Has anyone tried the cocoa butter chocolate scented soap approach? Marketing it as a cocoa butter scented soap might do the trick. IDK... it could be worth a try. Make a soap featuring cocoa butter and scent it with a bit of Hershey chocolate scent. Maybe a lighter scent so its more of a hint of chocolate. YOu could even go further and do a mock Hershey label... not the same label but one that looks similar to a chocolate bar. If it looked like a cute chocolate bar featuring cocoa butter it might work. Just a thought... I'm getting ideas already. LOL

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Straight chocolate soap did not sell all that well for me either.  It sold better when I did blends, such as Chocolate Raspberry Truffle (unscented center using raspberry mica).  I used OM Turkish Delight for that one.  The other combo that sells better than straight chocolate for me is Chocolate Almond.  I blend my own.  I can't help you on chocolate soap scents, because I've just used up the last of mine and it was from TSW.  That's what I blended with the almond.   (So sick of good suppliers going out of business.  LOL)  I still have a few of the chocolate almond soaps and they are selling OK - not great, but they do move.  Particularly at this time of year.

Another chocolate blend I used to make (and that had decent sales) was Mayan Gold.  I think I used the one from TSW or BB.  That one was a personal fave of mine!

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
added info

10 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

What a beautiful name....Mayan Gold....

Trappeur

It was a gorgeous fragrance!  Spices, chocolate, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla...all my faves.  :)

Candy, I have a show this weekend.  I'm taking a few bars of Chocolate Almond soap.  I'll let you know if they sell!  LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

It was a gorgeous fragrance!  Spices, chocolate, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla...all my faves.  :)

Candy, I have a show this weekend.  I'm taking a few bars of Chocolate Almond soap.  I'll let you know if they sell!  LOL

THAT'S IT! Add almond! ANYTHING almond goes flying off the shelf. BRILLIANT!

• Like 2

So if I was to try to make a cocoa butter soap in a mock chocolate bar label what chocolate scent would you use?

My initial thought is light on the cocoa scent with something mixed in. The almond sounds good. Since its gonna imitate a chocolate bar it should be a nut note or other food/bakery type. Like vanilla, cream, butter, hazelnut, pecan, caramel, peanut, mint, etc. My mind is telling something a tad salty like salted caramel? or toffee with a creamy, buttery finish.... or maybe that's my tummy doing the thinking.. LOL :lol:

Cocoa Therapy was my fav until I tried Peaks Sea Salt & Cocoa Bean. Yowzer! Now that's a brilliant chocolate! Makes Cocoa Therapy smell cheap by comparison.

I also love WSP's Chili Pepper Toffee. Hmmmm..... maybe I found my match! Naw..... I still think a light cocoa note blended with a creamy butter salty finish would be the ticket. So the cocoa doesn't overwhelm you but the other notes are soft so you still get chocolate but a mellow creamy type.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Candybee said:

Cocoa Therapy was my fav until I tried Peaks Sea Salt & Cocoa Bean. Yowzer! Now that's a brilliant chocolate! Makes Cocoa Therapy smell cheap by comparison.

I also love WSP's Chili Pepper Toffee. Hmmmm..... maybe I found my match! Naw..... I still think a light cocoa note blended with a creamy butter salty finish would be the ticket. So the cocoa doesn't overwhelm you but the other notes are soft so you still get chocolate but a mellow creamy type.

Did you ever make one?   I'm gearing up to get my soaps made for the upcoming year and looking for some new scents to try.  I just ordered Lavender Marshmallow from Just Scent as it's the only candle scent from BBW that I fell in love with.   Going to give it a try in some soap and sugar scrub.    Also ordered Sea Salt & Citrus and Godiva Berry Truffle.   I get tired of making the same thing year after year.  I have some standards I have to keep but want to add some new too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shari said:

Did you ever make one?   I'm gearing up to get my soaps made for the upcoming year and looking for some new scents to try.  I just ordered Lavender Marshmallow from Just Scent as it's the only candle scent from BBW that I fell in love with.   Going to give it a try in some soap and sugar scrub.    Also ordered Sea Salt & Citrus and Godiva Berry Truffle.   I get tired of making the same thing year after year.  I have some standards I have to keep but want to add some new too. 

No I have not made any chocolate soap. Just been thinking about it and the possibilities. Every now and then I debut a new soap just to keep things fresh and new. Every year I drop scents that don't make it as sellers so this gives me openings to try something new. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

OK, Candy, I had mixed results with the Chocolate Almond soap at my fall / Christmas shows.  At one show, I sold several.  Next show … zip.  Next show, several.  Next show...zip!  You never know!

I end up giving away anything chocolate.  None of my midwestern people are interested in smelling like chocolate 🤷🏻‍♀️. It must be regional. 

I used to love the chocolate inspired Origins body butter. It had a gorgeous blend containing  cocoa, coffee, vanilla, mandarin, lemon, orange, clary sage, cardamom & ginger. 

It was not on the market long, suspecting not many liked the chocolate or cocoa undertones. I would love to replicate it in a candle though! 

That blend sounds wonderful.  Lots of notes I'd love.

In candles, I do sell a fair amount of Hot Cocoa soy candles in the fall/winter.  Not a top seller, but steady as she goes.  I also sell a few Peppermint Hot Cocoa in paraffin.  But in soap, it's definitely not a huge seller.  As my mom says, "I don't want my soap to smell like food."  :D 

• Thanks 1