I have an idea

Forrest

Suppose when I got my sample size FOs in I did a smell test on each of them using the salt method. I could probably test 5 a day on weekdays. Then I put the ones that seem promising in candles. I think I could do a good test for HT on three candles a day and finish a burn test on those that work in four days. If I assume that one third wouldn’t make it past the salt test I could be buying 30 new FOs a week, that’s over 1,500 a year! This is the best idea I’ve ever come up with. I think maybe I should be on medication.

• Haha 7

25 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the salt test?  If it speeds up my trials due to my addiction, all the better!

Basically you put 3-5 drops of FO on a teaspoon of salt and put it on a candle warmer/wax melter. That will give you a close approximation of what a candle would smell like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

Basically you put 3-5 drops of FO on a teaspoon of salt and put it on a candle warmer/wax melter. That will give you a close approximation of what a candle would smell like.

does it have to be on a certain size room? I placed more than 5 drops of FO, and I can't smell it.

*its spiced cranberry from WSP

20 hours ago, Forrest said:

My question is, do you spread the salt out thin and flat or do you have it in a small, thick heap on the wax melter? 

12 minutes ago, Laura C said:

My question is, do you spread the salt out thin and flat or do you have it in a small, thick heap on the wax melter? 

I am not the expert, but what I do is shake the salt+FO up to spread the FO across the salt crystals. Then I spread it out a little. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t do anything fancy. A small scoop of salt and a few drops of FO. The salt just keeps the FO from burning on the warmer. The heat dispels the FO into the air, revealing any notes that may be objectionable. If you need more than a few drops then the FO may not be concentrated enough to work well in anything.

it will smell a bit different in your wax, since each wax has its own aroma, but at least you can tell pretty quickly, and for practically no money, if you like the FO enough to put into the mor labor intensive and expensive wax. There’s far less waste this way. Plus, if you like the scent in salt, you can use it in your vacuum to scent your house as you clean = bonus! 

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I don’t do anything fancy. A small scoop of salt and a few drops of FO. The salt just keeps the FO from burning on the warmer. The heat dispels the FO into the air, revealing any notes that may be objectionable. If you need more than a few drops then the FO may not be concentrated enough to work well in anything.

it will smell a bit different in your wax, since each wax has its own aroma, but at least you can tell pretty quickly, and for practically no money, if you like the FO enough to put into the mor labor intensive and expensive wax. There’s far less waste this way. Plus, if you like the scent in salt, you can use it in your vacuum to scent your house as you clean = bonus! 

I was putting he salt/FO in a 4oz tin and setting it on the melter, but I think that was getting the FO too hot. Does that make sense?

Anything is possible. Wax melt warmers come in so many different heat ranges you just have to experiment.

the one I use most often is a halogen bulb.  I have not taken the temp (I know I know i need to...)

the old tea light ones I have got hot enough to scorch fo in the bottom of the bowl. 

• Thanks 1