Heaven Help ME!

When I left Bitter Creek two years ago after 17 years, and 20+ candle making experience and having closed my personal business down in January 2015, I said NO MORE! Not gonna do it!

Well, I got the itch. I can't seem to scratch it. Oh God what am I thinking? LOL

I am going back into the business of making candles and soap. Much smaller this time, a much more limited line, and only things I want to make...because when you don't NEED to, you don't WANT to if you don't enjoy it. Sooooo, with this I am on a quest to find new fragrances I can't live without! This time around, 10 main fragrances with 2-5 seasonal scents I change out. Yep, simplicity wins! One size jar, clamshell melts, CP soap, Room spray and car fresheners. That is it! No more pillars, votives, tealights, lotions. Done with those. I don't like making them.

Sooooo I'm back! (Yes, I am nuts!!)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

We will be with you every step of the way. Those goals sound reasonable - but when other things creep in we will commiserate :D

welcome back.

Oh come on...
You know how easy it is to resist more! LMBO! I will try real, super, incredibly hard!

And thanks! I really kinda miss this special breed of insanity we shared.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Flicker said:

10 main fragrances with 2-5 seasonal scents I change out.

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously though, good luck. I only do what I want, when I want, and it has worked out well for me. I like that if a place goes out of business (read: Peaks) there is never a fragrance I HAVE TO HAVE, hence then have to scramble to find a replacement. 

• Like 1

Welcome back to the insanity! LOL

Been trying to cut back and minimize for years. Succeeded in some ways a lot in others a little less but all in all I am much happier than I was before. Learned by my own progress that less can be more in so may ways. But I still have a ways to go!

Welcome back.  I too have decided to scale down offerings.  I had over 30 fragrances in soap and 15-20 in scrubs not to mention lip balm, lotions etc......I'm taking my fragrance offerings down to 15 maybe 20 most.  Scrubs 10.  It's so hard to keep up with so many.

That's great Flicker! I'll be looking forward to hearing how it's going!

Gosh, even 10 fragrances seems like a lot to keep up with to me, I have maybe 5 that are my staples and 3 or 4 more that I rotate seasonally and it can get crazy for me! @Shari, I would legit loose my mind if I had to keep track of 30!!

Good to hear Flicker....good luck on the 10!

🤣😜

now the million dollar question- did you run into soy differences testing with your wax you mentioned before- ez soy I think it was?

I have never made pillars before and it's funny because that's all I have been doing this week with paraffin to clear my brain of soy and now I think I'm obsessed- lol

18 hours ago, Flicker said:

When I left Bitter Creek two years ago after 17 years, and 20+ candle making experience and having closed my personal business down in January 2015, I said NO MORE! Not gonna do it!

Well, I got the itch. I can't seem to scratch it. Oh God what am I thinking? LOL

I am going back into the business of making candles and soap. Much smaller this time, a much more limited line, and only things I want to make...because when you don't NEED to, you don't WANT to if you don't enjoy it. Sooooo, with this I am on a quest to find new fragrances I can't live without! This time around, 10 main fragrances with 2-5 seasonal scents I change out. Yep, simplicity wins! One size jar, clamshell melts, CP soap, Room spray and car fresheners. That is it! No more pillars, votives, tealights, lotions. Done with those. I don't like making them.

Sooooo I'm back! (Yes, I am nuts!!)

I think you are being very smart. I am in the process of trying to scale back from 100 fragrances and at least a dozen different jars. I had started with about 12 'anchor' fragrances and 6 seasonal, but I turned into a FO ho. Now, I am going for efficiency and profit margin... as I'm testing more samples, just in case.

I wish you the best of luck!  This year I'm introducing a new scent every month but I'm eliminating a few each month that are slow sellers.  I feel I'm going to get back to a more reasonable # of scent carried.  My problem is these dang companies that keep coming out with more new stuff that sounds soooo good, like everyone else here!

Welcome back Flicker...good luck on your fresh start!

I have been doing things differently  ...I make what I like ...as many as I like.. and take them to the market and a few stores ...when they are sold out that's it...no commitments to repeat fragrances...my policy is "if you like it buy it".. it seems my customers don't expect anything different. It has taken the stress out of something that brings me joy...I would be happy if I could sit my studio and just make candles........although it took me a few years to figure that out .

I have been testing for years but just starting to really sell and want to take on more wholesale accounts I am wanting to do one jar but three different lines each having its own label but the same packaging and 4 scents each with special releaseas of 2 spring 2 summer 2 fall 2 winter ,room sprays and tarts for each scent and thats it so reading your post made me feel that simplicity will work best I also sew and paint furniture and want to do other things and have minimum stuff around. Welcome back!!

• Like 2

I think it's going to be MUCH easier to stay on task this time with a job where I work 8-4:30 outside the home AND don't NEED to earn extra money, I just want things like a new Honda Pilot vs. Honda Accord and WANT solid quartz counter tops vs laminate. I was SO overwhelmed with over 75 scents when I quit, 6 jars, votives, three size pillars, lotion, body spray, room spray...you get the idea. I am NOT going to do that to myself. The nice thing about a limited inventory is I can have actual inventory. I missed doing small shows, ya know the kind where you'll make a few hundred bucks in a few hours but the entry is like $15. Yep my goals are different this time, to keep myself in things I can't afford. LOL